2018 Music thread

Kyyle23

11 minutes ago, smalls2598 said:

Damn, that's nice.  I live in the suburbs, so by time we got out of the stadium, walked to our car and drove home it was near 1am.

Pretty much the same. Red Line takes forever to get to the Howard station.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up Interpol’s new record, Marauder, on (cream) LP, today at the Reckless on Milwaukee.

I’m a huge fan of Interpol, I’ve seen them live a bunch so I was really anticipating this record. 

On first listen, I really like how raw and aggressive this album is. It was recorded live and straight to analog tape. Their music has been stuck in a mid tempo space for a decade now, so it’s nice hearing some more energetic stuff. I do miss the keyboards though.

The best tracks are If You Really Love Nothing, The Rover, Flight of Fancy and It Really Matters. 

• Like 1

Not sure if we have any Jason Isbell fans here, but a cool confluence of tour dates this month: Isbell at the Auditorium on 9/14 (still some [bad] tickets available), Amanda Shires at Thalia Hall on the 20th, and Drive-By Truckers (w/The Hold Steady) at the 312 Block Party at Goose Island on 9/22. Isbell, his wife, and his old band in the city all within 8 days of one another.

I'll be there for all of them. This time four months ago I had heard good things about Isbell but had never actually listened to him or given the genre much of a chance. Within a week or two it was all I was playing and I'd made plans to see him at Summerfest. Now I'll have seen him twice within five months of discovering him. It's been a long time since I so totally got into an artist as this guy. If you appreciate great songwriting, give him a listen. I don't think you'll regret it.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m reading Morrissey’s autobiography right now and I’m fully convinced that all I want in the world is a Smiths reunion. 

Still probably the strangest band break up ever. I read some of  Johnny Marr’s autobiography and I’m of the thought that Morrissey was in love with Johnny Marr, which caused the band to split. Just very weird. 

Edited by Joshua Strong

On 9/3/2018 at 4:51 PM, 3GamesToLove said:

Not sure if we have any Jason Isbell fans here, but a cool confluence of tour dates this month: Isbell at the Auditorium on 9/14 (still some [bad] tickets available), Amanda Shires at Thalia Hall on the 20th, and Drive-By Truckers (w/The Hold Steady) at the 312 Block Party at Goose Island on 9/22. Isbell, his wife, and his old band in the city all within 8 days of one another.

I'll be there for all of them. This time four months ago I had heard good things about Isbell but had never actually listened to him or given the genre much of a chance. Within a week or two it was all I was playing and I'd made plans to see him at Summerfest. Now I'll have seen him twice within five months of discovering him. It's been a long time since I so totally got into an artist as this guy. If you appreciate great songwriting, give him a listen. I don't think you'll regret it.

I'm a huge DBT and Isbell fan. Never got to see DBT before he left but have seen them and him since. Both put on a hell of a show.

• 4 weeks later...

Normally not a big fan of mashups but this is outstanding.  The vocals from Enter the 36 Chambers over the beats from Midnight Marauders. A tribute to both albums, which came out on the same day 25 years ago (11/09/93).

Had this on repeat all weekend.

• 5 months later...