2018 catch-all

Kyyle23

13 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

What was the trick / issue?  Just in case others are running into it.  

I think it had something to do with being at work. The site was not loading quickly but once I got home everything worked flawlessly,

Just now, Rabbit said:

You have a decent article explaining it? I have seen it in passing but otehrwise have no idea what it is. I hate to be the "google it for me" guy but I am curious.

In the 1970's and 1980's, there were 12 murders, 45 rapes and 100+ burglaries all over the state of California. They had no idea who it was, but a 72 year old former police officer was arrested for 2 of the murders yesterday.

I just find it fascinating because there was an ID Discovery series that talked about this (3 episodes, I believe) that aired recently. After I watched all of them, I thought "they'll never find a criminal of this magnitude, unbelievable." A few weeks later, and they have a guy.

Here's a link from NBC:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/golden-state-killer-case-ex-cop-arrested-serial-murder-rape-n868936

So that's awesome....

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/04/30/paroled-mass-murderer-moves-near-school-in-lagrange-prompting-alert/

A convicted mass murderer of 5 people (including a 16 year old girl) was just paroled and decided to move to a house located directly across the street from my kid's elementary school. Like literally a straight line from the front door of the school and across the street, that's where he lives. 

1) how the hell is a killer of 5 people in cold blood granted parole?

2) how the hell is it legal for him to live less than 100 feet away from a school?

3 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

So that's awesome....

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/04/30/paroled-mass-murderer-moves-near-school-in-lagrange-prompting-alert/

A convicted mass murderer of 5 people (including a 16 year old girl) was just paroled and decided to move to a house located directly across the street from my kid's elementary school. Like literally a straight line from the front door of the school and across the street, that's where he lives. 

1) how the hell is a killer of 5 people in cold blood granted parole?

2) how the hell is it legal for him to live less than 100 feet away from a school?

I'm pretty sure it's not. I remember finding a bunch of convicted felons' info on some website when I was in high school, and many of them lived right by the school and nearby parks. I asked my law teacher about it and she told me that would be against the law. How these purchases are allowed is beyond me

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

I thought only sex offenders had distance-from-schools/childrens's places restrictions?

The guy murdered people in a botched robbery 46 years ago. I dunno how much of a threat he poses specifically to children.

Yeah, only registered sex offenders are prohibited from living by schools under existing law. It should be changed to include felons serving significant jail time. 

This monster should be dead and/or in jail for life. This is a clear breakdown of our legal system.

Isn't one of the underlying principles of our justice system that people can be rehabilitated? 

What I'm wondering is how is he paying his bills? He has to be in his 60s or close to 70. 

So, I'd like a more general audience than I've been having for my BIL.

So his wife has been having an emotional affair with one of her exes from college.  She is a consistent liar about what shes doing and if they are still talking.  They had a 7 hour dinner and she lied about it.  They eventually had a heart to heart and are going to therapy but she will not cut off ties.  Im there for this guy but I keep telling him I would have been gone a month ago (its been about 3 months of her lying). I dont believe her for a second that it hasnt gotten physical although she claims it hasnt. From my perspective, our family acts like nothing is going on, except me who makes it super awkward.  I cannot hear her talk without laughing or making a comment.  I cannot coexist with her knowing what shes done.  My BIL and I have become best friends over the last decade or so.   I honestly dont believe in the whole cheating thing and it drives me up a wall.

Bottom line, am I out of line?  Is my advice bad?  

2 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

So his wife has been having an emotional affair with one of her exes from college.  She is a consistent liar about what shes doing and if they are still talking.  They had a 7 hour dinner and she lied about it.  They eventually had a heart to heart and are going to therapy but she will not cut off ties.  Im there for this guy but I keep telling him I would have been gone a month ago (its been about 3 months of her lying). I dont believe her for a second that it hasnt gotten physical although she claims it hasnt. From my perspective, our family acts like nothing is going on, except me who makes it super awkward.  I cannot hear her talk without laughing or making a comment.  I cannot coexist with her knowing what shes done.  My BIL and I have become best friends over the last decade or so.   I honestly dont believe in the whole cheating thing and it drives me up a wall.

Without more specifics about the nature of the affair, hard to really speculate. If you think that its irreparable then I think you need to make that clear. You didnt mention kids or anything, so that would make it less complicated if they cut ties. I would definitely say its troubling that she wont cut contact, and it makes me feel like she is not 100% committed to the relationship.

I guess since I dont really know them or anything about them, harder to put it in context. If they are 21 its a lot different than if they are 35. What is the other guys status (single/married).

Its a tough position because you have to be there for your friend. And sometimes friends make bad decisions when it comes to their partners. But if HE believes its really worth it, I think you have to at least try and help him. But I dont think its out of line for you to tell him what you really believe so he has all the information to make the best decision for himself. 

Yeah that complicates things. If he trusts you then you need to tell him how you really feel, but at the same time understand if he comes to a different conclusion. 

That being said, if she is unwilling to cut off communication with an ex when she has 2 kids and it seems like its potentially causing a rift in their marriage, it doesnt seem like its going down a good path. 

10 hours ago, RockRaines said:

They eventually had a heart to heart and are going to therapy but she will not cut off ties. 

This part strikes me as incredibly...odd. She's 40 with 2 kids. Why is she interested in keeping ties with some ex-boyfriend from 20 years in her past? What's her justification? Is he advancing her career? Is he a networking tool? 

I'd say your advice is spot on. I'd tell your sister to grow the fuck up. She's a mom, not a teenager. She's acting like a high school kid. She's going to screw up her kids' life over this.

12 hours ago, RockRaines said:

If he is good with it, it is up to him.  You can give him advice and tell him how you feel, but when you put yourself into the middle of it, you are probably crossing a line.

6 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

This part strikes me as incredibly...odd. She's 40 with 2 kids. Why is she interested in keeping ties with some ex-boyfriend from 20 years in her past? What's her justification? Is he advancing her career? Is he a networking tool? 

I'd say your advice is spot on. I'd tell your sister to grow the fuck up. She's a mom, not a teenager. She's acting like a high school kid. She's going to screw up her kids' life over this.

BIL could also mean his wife's brother.

• bmags locked this topic
  • Tony unlocked this topic
  • bmags unpinned and locked this topic