2018 catch-all

Kyyle23

On 5/2/2018 at 9:19 AM, Jenksismyhero said:

This part strikes me as incredibly...odd. She's 40 with 2 kids. Why is she interested in keeping ties with some ex-boyfriend from 20 years in her past? What's her justification? Is he advancing her career? Is he a networking tool? 

I'd say your advice is spot on. I'd tell your sister to grow the fuck up. She's a mom, not a teenager. She's acting like a high school kid. She's going to screw up her kids' life over this.

My guess is that she is kind of going through a mid-life adjustment and this takes her back to younger days and he is focal point of that time in her life.  I think most folks do go through this the difference is how invested is she.  When I reconnect wiht people from high school or college it takes you back in time to a different life and it is not necessarily that you want that person currently but they bring back waves of positive emotion.

In your case Rock, what were you thoughts on your BIL's wife prior to the new friend.  I have the same type of feelings for some relatives that I find to be full of shit but have felt that way since day one. 

On 5/2/2018 at 6:04 PM, Dick Allen said:

Kids involved, you have to bite your tongue. I would imagine that is why the BIL is being a bit patient.

He's just a patient, nice guy.  Its so awkward but hopefully it all works out.

On 5/2/2018 at 5:05 PM, Soxbadger said:

Im 99.9% sure that the guy is the brother of Rock's wife. 

No.  Sister of my wife.

Its just super awkward because im the only one who gets the actual truth from him.  And its hard not to spill it.

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Then id really stay out of it. 

Trying to just be a friend to him and keep my mouth shut the rest of the time.  Hes not from here and doesnt have a ton of friends so I am trying to be all of his friends at once

7 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

Trying to just be a friend to him and keep my mouth shut the rest of the time.  Hes not from here and doesnt have a ton of friends so I am trying to be all of his friends at once

Thats okay, I more meant I wouldnt be making comments and taking sides publicly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome proposal story.

In other news it hit 102 here in San Antonio today. I just am getting over a bout of diverticulitis and I'm having cataract surgery this summer. I am feeling ancient. 

5 hours ago, Texsox said:

Awesome proposal story.

In other news it hit 102 here in San Antonio today. I just am getting over a bout of diverticulitis and I'm having cataract surgery this summer. I am feeling ancient. 

It was 75 here today...

So i'm going to build a shed in my backyard. Nothing fancy, probably 10x12 or 12x12. Not going to spend the extra dough and pour a whole concrete pad, just throw it on some blocks and skids and landscape it nicely.

In looking into it more I discovered that I need to obtain a permit for this, along with a review. I also need to give a plat of survey (i'm hoping I received one as part of my home purchase 8-9 years ago). This all seems overboard to me. Anyone else build a shed without getting a permit? I doubt the village would ever find out, because i'm not throwing anything away. I suppose they could come by at some point and see a large lumber shipment, but that would be about it. 

I've read that maybe tax assessors will see it and possibly discover no permit was pulled? I find that hard to believe as well - why would the assessor's office care?

We built a shed without a permit because I didn't have a plat at the time. This included tearing down our old shed and disposing of it in a roll-off dumpster that sat on our driveway for a week. I was nervous because when we got a plat done several years later to have our driveway resurfaced, it turns out I had built the shed right over the utility easement! The village ultimately didn't care even when I submitted the plat with the survey showing the encroachment later on, nor did the people who bought my house ever question it. Still, had I gotten the plat done correctly and pulled the permits, it never would have been a potential issue. The city would *probably* want an updated plat, not something 8-9 years old, and that'd cost you $300-500.

Odds are you won't get caught, and I don't think a small garden shed like what you're describing would even impact your tax assessment anyway. Out-buildings, garages, etc. would though, so they might care.

My father-in-law also built a shed and a deck without a permit years and years ago. Then he had a crazy neighbor move in next door who developed a personal hatred of him and eventually figured out the shed and deck weren't permitted. So he called the county office and b****ed until they sent an inspector out. He got fined and had to fix a number of things that weren't to modern code. He couldn't be grandfathered in because they were never properly permitted in the first place.

Whatever you decide to do, at least look up the local code and follow it, remembering that code is the *minimum* for a safe structure and you can always go one better. If you buy a shed-in-a-box from somewhere like Home Depot, you might want to plan on upgrading the base platform from what it comes with. IIRC the one we built at our old house had some flimsy looking 2x6's or 2x8's and the base for our old shed was still in good shape and was 2x10.

I wonder what his fine was. I think the fine for not getting a permit is double the original permit fee, so for this a whopping $130 bucks, plus I guess the possibility that I would have to redo something. It just doesn't seem worth the cost if I have to also pay to get a survey done.  

I did look into those shed-in-a-box kits and they do look like they cheap out on a lot of parts (24 inch vs 16 inch framing, for example). That's why I ended up deciding to do my own. Plus I was worried about getting low grade lumber that is all knotted or warped. 

17 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

I wonder what his fine was. I think the fine for not getting a permit is double the original permit fee, so for this a whopping $130 bucks, plus I guess the possibility that I would have to redo something. It just doesn't seem worth the cost if I have to also pay to get a survey done.  

I did look into those shed-in-a-box kits and they do look like they cheap out on a lot of parts (24 inch vs 16 inch framing, for example). That's why I ended up deciding to do my own. Plus I was worried about getting low grade lumber that is all knotted or warped. 

Depends on your neighbors.  If one of them reports it, then you will be dinged.  If nobody does, I bet its fine.

On 6/7/2018 at 3:27 PM, Jenksismyhero said:

Fines like that can usually be calculated on a per day of violation basis. So that $130 would be per day of violating. Of course that would probably only happen if the city gives you some form of notice of the violation and you don’t correct it. 

At a minimum check for underground utilities. Technically I installed not built, a shed on my property. It was built by one of the area schools and I bought it at a fundraiser. It arrived as four walls, a roof, and a floor. We leveled the floor, raised the walls, and put on the roof. The city told me that a permit was not required but I ran the risk of being liable if it was last acted incorrectly.

• bmags locked this topic
  • Tony unlocked this topic
  • bmags unpinned and locked this topic