2018 catch-all

Kyyle23

Anyone work for have used PODS to move? Never use these guys! The office in Libertyville was suppose to pick up my sisters pod as she moved to Arizona on Thursday. They never picked it up and won’t give a reason why it wasn’t. Now they say they can’t get it until Tuesday and it’s caused a chain reaction that has become a HUGE problem for multiple people! Horrible service and even worse customer service.

F em!

• 4 weeks later...

Lawngents,

I'm at a loss. 

My nice green lawn that I was very proud of started turning brown in spots, and I thought it was a watering issue. I kept watering and watering, then realized there is no way it could be water at that point.

I applied scotts broad spectrum fungicide 2 weeks ago now, and it does not seem to have stopped the spread. I applied it but did not water it right away (was not sure).

Any idea what to do? Brown doesn't have spots that I have seen, just kinda browns and dies.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:45 PM, bmags said:

Lawngents,

I'm at a loss. 

My nice green lawn that I was very proud of started turning brown in spots, and I thought it was a watering issue. I kept watering and watering, then realized there is no way it could be water at that point.

I applied scotts broad spectrum fungicide 2 weeks ago now, and it does not seem to have stopped the spread. I applied it but did not water it right away (was not sure).

Any idea what to do? Brown doesn't have spots that I have seen, just kinda browns and dies.

Are the spots in circles?  Maybe it’s grubs?

Amazing how far a contact lens can travel.

I was putting one in this morning, and it didn't feel right. I couldn't tell if it was in. I could see, but not great. But it seemed better than without my lenses. But maybe not. I had no idea.

So, I looked in the sink. On the floor. Back in my eye (maybe it folded up or slipped under my eyelid). Nothing. And I still couldn't tell if it was in.

I started searching the floor again. Somehow it had fallen about five feet behind me. I don't know if it flew over my head, through my torso, between my legs,....

Whatever the case, they should start building cars and airplanes in the shape of contact lenses. The aerodynamics are unmatched.

• Haha 2

On 6/14/2018 at 5:49 PM, Jenksismyhero said:

No, I have too many trees so access to the area where I'll install is limited. I'll probably just roll the dice and see what happens

On 6/14/2018 at 5:49 PM, Jenksismyhero said:

No, I have too many trees so access to the area where I'll install is limited. I'll probably just roll the dice and see what happens

How did the shed turn out?

On 8/3/2018 at 9:04 PM, Texsox said:

How did the shed turn out?

Still haven't gotten to it. Been traveling too much this summer. Shooting for the fall when the weather gets a little cooler and we're home for a couple weekends in a row without plans.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, bmags said:

Lawngents,

I'm at a loss. 

Maybe an animal is peeing on it? Dog pee kills grass in brown circles.

The issue was it started spreading so rapidly, I don't think the pee would cause that. It's hard to tell with the recent dry spell, but it seems like growth has stopped. The fungicide worked in that way but not sure I'll see recovery. 

Though, we are doing work on our house now and the back yard will be torn to shreds, so I probably didn't need to buy as many products as I did.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

The issue was it started spreading so rapidly, I don't think the pee would cause that. It's hard to tell with the recent dry spell, but it seems like growth has stopped. The fungicide worked in that way but not sure I'll see recovery. 

Though, we are doing work on our house now and the back yard will be torn to shreds, so I probably didn't need to buy as many products as I did.

what you should do is pee in a spot next to your dead spot, repeatedly.   That way you can completely rule out pee if it doesnt die

Scienced.

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

what you should do is pee in a spot next to your dead spot, repeatedly.   That way you can completely rule out pee if it doesnt die

Scienced.

My pee is much more potent than coyote pee to keep away rabbits, though it kills the plants. Trade-off?!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Scienced.

Well and for it to be accurate he would need to run the experiment in many different locations to validate the results.

What is your address again?

On 8/5/2018 at 9:03 PM, Jenksismyhero said:

Still haven't gotten to it. Been traveling too much this summer. Shooting for the fall when the weather gets a little cooler and we're home for a couple weekends in a row without plans.

I’m planning a small bike shed for my backyard. The bikes are getting in the way of my expanding wood working shop. I’m not certain if I like woodworking or buying tools. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2018 at 9:13 PM, Texsox said:

Really. For those of us that basically felt TL;DR could you post a synapsis? 

It’s pretty weird.  Back in the early 1800s in England they figured out how to grow rhubarb in the winter by putting the roots of previously grown plants into sheds that were filled with manure and protected from harsh winter weather, and they would hang candles from the ceiling.  The rhubarb would expend all of its energy growing towards the candles and they would use the plant throughout the winter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhubarb_Triangle

this is the tweet that both made me laugh and started me down the rabbit hole 

The 2022 Mindset List.

http://themindsetlist.com/2018/08/beloit-college-mindset-list-class-2022/

The 2018 Mindset list For the Class of 2022

Among the iconic figures never alive in their lifetime are Victor Borge, Charles Schulz, and the original Obi-Wan Kenobi Alec Guinness.

Among their classmates could be Madonna’s son Rocco, Will Smith’s daughter Willow, or David Bowie and Iman’s daughter Alexandria.

1. They are the first class born in the new millennium, escaping the dreaded label of “Millennial,” though their new designation—iGen, GenZ, etc. — has not yet been agreed upon by them.
  2. Outer space has never been without human habitation.
  3. They have always been able to refer to Wikipedia.
  4. They have grown up afraid that a shooting could happen at their school, too.
  5. People loudly conversing with themselves in public are no longer thought to be talking to imaginary friends.
  6. Calcutta has always been Kolkata.
  7. Afghanistan has always been the frustrating quagmire that keeps on giving.
  8. Investigative specials examining the O.J. Simpson case have been on TV annually since their birth.
  9. Same-sex couples have always found marital bliss in the Netherlands.
  10. When filling out forms, they are not surprised to find more than two gender categories to choose from.
  11. Presidential candidates winning the popular vote and then losing the election are not unusual.
  12. Parents have always been watching Big Brother, and vice versa.
  13. Someone has always skied non-stop down Mount Everest.
  14. They’ve grown up with stories about where their grandparents were on 11/22/63 and where their parents were on 9/11.
  15. Erin Brockovich has always offered a role model.
  16. The wordsveritas and horizon have always been joined together to form Verizon.
  17. They will never fly TWA, Swissair, or Sabena airlines.
  18. The Tower of Pisa has always had a prop to keep it leaning.
  19. There has never been an Enron.
  20. The Prius has always been on the road in the U.S.
  21. UK retail sales have always been organized in metrics, except for beer, still sold by the imperial pint.
  22. They never used a spit bowl in a dentist’s office.
  23. They have never seen a cross-town World Series.
  24. There has always been a Survivor.
  25. “You’ve got mail” would sound as ancient to them as “number, please” would have sounded to their parents.
  26. Mifepristone or RU-486, commonly called the “abortion pill,” has always been available in the U.S.
  27. A visit to a bank has been a rare event.
  28. Unable to come up with a new tune, Russians have always used the old Soviet national anthem.
  29. They have never had to deal with “chads,” be they dimpled, hanging, or pregnant.
  30. “Bipartisan” is soooo last century.
  31. Horton has always heard a Who on stage in Seussical the musical.
  32. Robert Downey Jr. has always been the sober Iron Man.
  33. Exotic animals have always been providing emotional support to passengers on planes.
  34. Starbucks has always served venti Caffè Lattes in Beijing’s Forbidden City.
  35. Lightbulbs have always been shatterproof.
  36. Xlerators have always been drying hands in 15 seconds with a roar.
  37. I Love You has always been a computer virus.
  38. Thumbprints have always provided log in security—and are harder to lose—than a password.
  39. Robots have always been able to walk on two legs and climb stairs.
  40. None having served there, American Presidents have always visited Vietnam as Commander-in-Chief.
  41. There have always been space tourists willing to pay the price.
  42. Mass market books have always been available exclusively as Ebooks.
  43. Oprah has always been a magazine.
  44. Berets have always been standard attire for U.S. military uniforms.
  45. The folks may have used a Zipcar to get them to the delivery room on time.
  46. Bonefish Grill has always been serving sustainable seafood.
  47. As toddlers, they could be fined for feeding pigeons in Trafalgar Square in London.
  48. Google Doodles have never recognized major religious holidays.
  49. Chernobyl has never produced any power in their lifetimes.
  50. Donny and Marie who?
  51. They never tasted Pepsi Twist in the U.S.
  52. Denmark and Sweden have always been just a ten-minute drive apart via the Oresund Bridge.
  53. There have always been more than a billion people in India.
  54. Thanks to the Taliban, the colossal Buddhas of Bamiyan have never stood in Central Afghanistan.
  55. Films have always been distributed on the Internet.
  56. Environmental disasters such as the BP Deepwater Horizon, and the coal sludge spill in Martin City, Ky., have always exceeded the Exxon Valdez oil spill.
  57. The detachable computer mouse is almost extinct.
  58. The Mir space station has always been at the bottom of the South Pacific.
  59. King Friday the 13thand Lady Elaine Fairchild have always dwelled in the Neighborhood, but only in re-runs.
  60. Israeli troops have never occupied Southern Lebanon.

• bmags locked this topic
  • Tony unlocked this topic
  • bmags unpinned and locked this topic