2018 catch-all

Kyyle23

16 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Someone has always skied non-stop down Mount Everest.
When did this happen?

The words veritas and horizon have always been joined together to form Verizon.
I never knew that.

The Tower of Pisa has always had a prop to keep it leaning.
Wait, it has a prop now?

They never used a spit bowl in a dentist’s office.
What do they use now?

They have never seen a cross-town World Series.
Technically, nobody has seen one since 1906. The 2000 Yanks/Mets series was a "Subway series".

Lightbulbs have always been shatterproof.
I've never even heard of this.

Xlerators have always been drying hands in 15 seconds with a roar.
I never saw one of these until around 2011 or so.

Google Doodles have never recognized major religious holidays.
I've never really paid attention to this.

They never tasted Pepsi Twist in the U.S.
I actually had to google this because I didn't remember Pepsi Twist at all. According to Wiki, it was available in the US until 2006.

The detachable computer mouse is almost extinct.
I'm not even sure what this is referring to.

On 8/23/2018 at 10:30 PM, Kyyle23 said:

It’s pretty weird.  Back in the early 1800s in England they figured out how to grow rhubarb in the winter by putting the roots of previously grown plants into sheds that were filled with manure and protected from harsh winter weather, and they would hang candles from the ceiling.  The rhubarb would expend all of its energy growing towards the candles and they would use the plant throughout the winter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhubarb_Triangle

this is the tweet that both made me laugh and started me down the rabbit hole 

Wow I totally thought that was a KKK rally at first glance lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone applied for the public service loan forgiveness program? If so, have you had any issues? 

My wife is trying to do it now. Our 10 year payoff window is next September. We certified her employment and got her loans put into the fedloan servicing program last year, but the initial statement claims that she had only made 27 qualifying payments out of the 120 required, which is not correct at all. Since then we've made probably another 12 payments and her monthly statement still says she has only made 27 qualifying payments. 

Calling their customer service line does nothing. All they can do is request an audit and they claim it takes 6 months to complete (how fucking hard is it to look up payment history?) We're re-certifying her employment status again, so hopefully they get it figured out. 

The government, as usual, is the absolute worst.

3 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Has anyone applied for the public service loan forgiveness program? If so, have you had any issues? 

My wife is trying to do it now. Our 10 year payoff window is next September. We certified her employment and got her loans put into the fedloan servicing program last year, but the initial statement claims that she had only made 27 qualifying payments out of the 120 required, which is not correct at all. Since then we've made probably another 12 payments and her monthly statement still says she has only made 27 qualifying payments. 

Calling their customer service line does nothing. All they can do is request an audit and they claim it takes 6 months to complete (how fucking hard is it to look up payment history?) We're re-certifying her employment status again, so hopefully they get it figured out. 

The government, as usual, is the absolute worst.

My wife got fucked over the same way.  Several years of making payments that she thought qualified only to be told later that they didn't.  Her loan has been purchased by other companies at least twice and nobody has any accurate records or has any suggestions of where to get that info.

35 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

My wife got fucked over the same way.  Several years of making payments that she thought qualified only to be told later that they didn't.  Her loan has been purchased by other companies at least twice and nobody has any accurate records or has any suggestions of where to get that info.

Did you guys fight it? I know they just allocated $350 million for a new program that is geared towards people that were denied loan forgiveness because they didn't make their payments under the right plan. You may want to check that out:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service/temporary-expanded-public-service-loan-forgiveness

I know for certain my wife's loans qualify and all of our payments qualify. It's just terrible record keeping on their part. Theoretically I can come up with proof of every single payment over the last 10 years via bank records, so if I have to that's what I'll do. It's a good chunk of change I was looking forward to not paying.

Just came across this article

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-government-loan-forgiveness-program-has-rejected-99-of-borrowers-so-far-2018-09-20

So far, roughly 99% of processed applications for forgiveness under a government program aimed at helping public servants manage their federal student-loan debt had their applications rejected. 

As of June 30 of this year, about 28,000 borrowers submitted 33,300 applications to have their loans discharged under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, an initiative launched in 2007 that allows borrowers who work in certain types of public service to have their federal student loans wiped away after 10 years of payments. Of the roughly 29,000 applications processed so far, 96 borrowers have had about $5.52 million in debt discharged under the program, according to a government report released Wednesday. 

[...] 

“It’s obvious that a huge number of people that couldn’t meet the requirements did not understand that they weren’t meeting the requirements,” said Clare McCann, the deputy director for higher education policy in the think tank New America’s education policy program. “The complexities in the program’s design mean that there are going to be a lot of people who think they’re eligible for PSLF and they’re not.”

22 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Did you guys fight it? I know they just allocated $350 million for a new program that is geared towards people that were denied loan forgiveness because they didn't make their payments under the right plan. You may want to check that out:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service/temporary-expanded-public-service-loan-forgiveness

I know for certain my wife's loans qualify and all of our payments qualify. It's just terrible record keeping on their part. Theoretically I can come up with proof of every single payment over the last 10 years via bank records, so if I have to that's what I'll do. It's a good chunk of change I was looking forward to not paying.

Thanks, we will look into that. 

• 5 weeks later...

I'm moving in 3 weeks, and I'm supposed to be taking stuff to storage on my days off but I can't get myself started. I started to today, and then saw all the clutter almost solely caused by my wife who hasn't done much (if at all) to help clear up and immediately lost all my motivation. Most of everything else that's in storage is there in spite of the other people who live in my house.

16 hours ago, lostfan said:

I'm moving in 3 weeks, and I'm supposed to be taking stuff to storage on my days off but I can't get myself started. I started to today, and then saw all the clutter almost solely caused by my wife who hasn't done much (if at all) to help clear up and immediately lost all my motivation. Most of everything else that's in storage is there in spite of the other people who live in my house.

Schedule a day when you’re both available to knock some of it out

4 hours ago, Leonard Zelig said:

My neighbor is out putting his Christmas lights and decorations up.  I think they were still up on Groundhog Day last year.

I’ll put lights up outside soon but don’t turn them on until thanksgiving night.

On 8/31/2018 at 8:47 AM, Iwritecode said:

Someone has always skied non-stop down Mount Everest.
When did this happen?

The words veritas and horizon have always been joined together to form Verizon.
I never knew that.

The Tower of Pisa has always had a prop to keep it leaning.
Wait, it has a prop now?

They never used a spit bowl in a dentist’s office.
What do they use now?

They have never seen a cross-town World Series.
Technically, nobody has seen one since 1906. The 2000 Yanks/Mets series was a "Subway series".

Lightbulbs have always been shatterproof.
I've never even heard of this.

Xlerators have always been drying hands in 15 seconds with a roar.
I never saw one of these until around 2011 or so.

Google Doodles have never recognized major religious holidays.
I've never really paid attention to this.

They never tasted Pepsi Twist in the U.S.
I actually had to google this because I didn't remember Pepsi Twist at all. According to Wiki, it was available in the US until 2006.

The detachable computer mouse is almost extinct.
I'm not even sure what this is referring to.

I just saw this post, but yeah.  I think the "Crosstown" reference is that Mets/Yankees WS whenever the hell that was in the late 90s early 2000s

On 11/3/2018 at 4:00 PM, Leonard Zelig said:

My neighbor is out putting his Christmas lights and decorations up.  I think they were still up on Groundhog Day last year.

Kinda early IMO, just as I don't want Christmas songs on the radio til the day after Thanksgiving. ... On a different topic, I kinda like those peeps who get fired up about certain holidays. I know a grown adult woman who always has favored Halloween. Just loves it. And I know some folks who just worship Christmas no pun intended. It's kind of cool in this day and age (so much vitriol and hatred) when some peeps can get so enthused about certain holidays. It hearkens to a more innocent time.

Edited by greg775

• bmags locked this topic
  • Tony unlocked this topic
  • bmags unpinned and locked this topic