2018 catch-all

Kyyle23

So fun news is we are expecting our next child on Wed. 

Other fun news is we were able to renovate our house but we didn't finish in time for the baby. So challenges aside of living with my wife's parents, I also cut out interior painting because the bid seemed so high. Now I realize it's because with new rooms you have so much more prep with filling nail holes, sanding, etc. Taking forever but it will be worth is soon as we plan to live there a long time and I'm not sure that would be possible for quite a while with two kids.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

Other fun news is we were able to renovate our house but we didn't finish in time for the baby. So challenges aside of living with my wife's parents, I also cut out interior painting because the bid seemed so high. Now I realize it's because with new rooms you have so much more prep with filling nail holes, sanding, etc. Taking forever but it will be worth is soon as we plan to live there a long time and I'm not sure that would be possible for quite a while with two kids.

Congratulations and best of luck!

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

Congrats and good luck.

We had to live with my parents when our second kid was born due to remodeling our house, it was not an ideal situation.  Although at least your pregnant wife is with her own parents, not her in-laws. 

11 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Congrats and good luck.

We had to live with my parents when our second kid was born due to remodeling our house, it was not an ideal situation.  Although at least your pregnant wife is with her own parents, not her in-laws. 

Yes to the last part, big help.

We've been with them about 5 months now, and it's a decent set-up for living without feeling like you are on top of each other. But man I am anxious to be in my own place again. In a weird way you start to even forget what it's like!

22 hours ago, lostfan said:

Brewed my first batch of beer today (Witbier, Belgian white). It's in the fermenter now. A little darker coming out of the pot than I thought it would be but I don't think that's how it will look when it gets bottled.

It will probably clear up, but the color shouldn't change much.  Are you using extract?

1 hour ago, lostfan said:

I don't believe so. The kit I used didn't come with any.

What kit? You needed some fermentable in the boil. Anyway, the color always looks darker in the fermenter simply because of the volume you're looking through. There's also a lot of crap in there that will settle. There are some things you can do during the boil to control the color, but i wouldn't worry about it. The flavor should be fine.

Just now, G&T said:

What kit? You needed some fermentable in the boil. Anyway, the color always looks darker in the fermenter simply because of the volume you're looking through. There's also a lot of crap in there that will settle. There are some things you can do during the boil to control the color, but i wouldn't worry about it. The flavor should be fine.

My bad I misunderstood what you were saying. Yeah there were grains I steeped (I didn't notice there were actually 2 bags, I hurriedly steeped another pound and added it in at the end of the boil) along with 3 lbs of liquid extract and 2 lbs of dry extract.

25 minutes ago, lostfan said:

My bad I misunderstood what you were saying. Yeah there were grains I steeped (I didn't notice there were actually 2 bags, I hurriedly steeped another pound and added it in at the end of the boil) along with 3 lbs of liquid extract and 2 lbs of dry extract.

Well, that should be interesting. You steeped the second bag separately and then dumped that separate mash in? Should be fine. If you steeped the grains at boiling temp, then it could add bitterness. On the other hand, something always goes screwy during a brew day and I haven't lost a beer yet.

1 minute ago, G&T said:

Well, that should be interesting. You steeped the second bag separately and then dumped that separate mash in? Should be fine. If you steeped the grains at boiling temp, then it could add bitterness. On the other hand, something always goes screwy during a brew day and I haven't lost a beer yet.

Yeah, the flavor might be off when it's all fermented but it should still taste fine. The first was 8 oz each of wheat and oat flakes, the second was I believe 16 oz of some type of malt. It steeped fine (I'd have liked to give it another 15 minutes) but it was only in the boiling pot for about 15 minutes whereas the other was boiling for a little over an hour (along with the extract). I don't *think* it will be that big of a deal but seeing as how this is my first brew, I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

On 12/14/2018 at 7:14 PM, AustinIllini said:

If Rock is JB Pritzker, I'm not sure why he hasn't bought the White Sox from Jerry yet

You know if I was that rich I would do it in a heartbeat.  I just want the actual people in a district to have a voice instead of someone just determining what they do based on money.  Thats not what elected officials are for.  My platform is transparency.  Every vote will be on the internet, ill stream meetings.  My constituents need to know whats going on at all times.

It's very early though, most likely someone will tell me I have no chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RockRaines said:

You know if I was that rich I would do it in a heartbeat.  I just want the actual people in a district to have a voice instead of someone just determining what they do based on money.  Thats not what elected officials are for.  My platform is transparency.  Every vote will be on the internet, ill stream meetings.  My constituents need to know whats going on at all times.

It's very early though, most likely someone will tell me I have no chance.

Having done it before,  it is all about getting your name out there at this stage.

42 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Having done it before,  it is all about getting your name out there at this stage.

We are hoping that our technical expertise draws the people in.  Having total visibility and being able to vote on what your rep votes on should be appealing.  I can build all that stuff myself.  The big budget folks in chicago are always going to be there, but we can fight them

A short time ago a tsunami crashed into Indonesia along the Sunda straits, killing several dozen known victims so far. As of right now what triggered the tsunami is unknown - possibly some sort of offshore landslide, possibly something triggered by Anak Krakatau volcano, but really the current trigger is unknown. This video is absolutely incredible - this is a performance of a band called “seventeen” which was struck by the tsunami wave. 

Unfortunately, 99% of the United States Geological Survey is currently furloughed, so in this part of the world no one who might be able to collect and interpret data on this topic is legally allowed to show up to answer questions.

16 hours ago, lostfan said:

My beer came out great, the exact shade of gold I was hoping it'd be. 4.7% alcohol content. I was worried about it for no reason. Now gonna bottle it tomorrow.

Nothing worse than bottling day. A few of those and you’ll be buying a kegerator.  

Also, congratulations! Enjoy!

Edited by G&T

• bmags unpinned and locked this topic