2018 Democrats thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 09:59 PM)
Mark Cuban?

He's too moderate (bordering on conservative) on a lot of his stances to ever be accepted by the progressives...and the complete lack of experience (see Trump) is going to be held against him, as obviously just being knowledgeable about business/marketing is far from enough to be an effective national leader.

Similar to Bloomberg on many issues...who I would definitely vote for over Trump, but still a bit reluctantly.

He does seem to have more EMPATHY than Trump, but so does my office chair or wastebasket.

Edited by caulfield12

Another Tuesday, another big Dem shift in one blood-red district, and a Dem flip in another one. Dems have now flipped 41 seats since Trump's election. Greg Sargent looked at why last week (after a Dem flip in Kentucky)

A blue wave? How Trump is helping Democrats win in unlikely places.

Last night, Democrats flipped a Kentucky state legislative seat from red to blue — deep in Trump country. It’s the 37th such seat that Democrats have flipped into their column since the start of 2017, and many of these special election victories are happening in places that they aren’t supposed to, which has deeply alarmed some Republicans.

Why are Democrats winning these races, and what does this tell us about the 2018 midterm elections? The answer to this question doesn’t fit neatly into the debates inside the Beltway and in the Twittersphere over what Democrats should and shouldn’t be doing. Indeed, these victories are in many ways unfolding outside those arguments.

Linda Belcher, a former teacher and legislator, won a Kentucky state House seat last night by 68-32, in a district President Trump carried by 50 points. There were murky circumstances involving the suicide of the husband of her GOP opponent. But there is clearly a trend here: Of the 37 state legislative seats that Democrats have flipped since Trump took office, nearly 20 came in districts carried by Trump, some by very large margins, according to data collected by Daily Kos Elections.

I spoke to Jessica Post, executive director of the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee, which helps boost Democratic candidates in state legislative races. She pointed to several factors driving these wins.

First, there really is a huge Trump effect. But it’s a mistake to reduce this simply to the widely discussed explosion in Democratic turnout we’ve been seeing. In many of these races, Post says, Trump has also produced a willingness of better-quality candidates to run who had previously refrained from doing so, as well as a big explosion in volunteer activity.

That volunteer activity is “a common factor in all of our special election wins,” Post told me. “Some of these people marched in the women’s march. They never volunteered before. Now they’re showing up at campaign offices.” Post adds that in one Minnesota special election, even though the temperature dropped to negative 15 degrees, “there were 25 people out door-knocking.”

Second, Trump is not figuring heavily into the campaigns these candidates have run. The Beltway and Twittersphere are consumed with debates over whether Democrats should or should not be speaking directly to anti-Trump anger, or whether their failure to more directly attack Trump’s tax plan is helping it (and Trump himself) edge up in popularity. But Post tells me that these candidates are mostly “campaigning on hyper-local issues.”

For instance, Post says, in Virginia, one Democrat campaigned on fixing local traffic problems. In Oklahoma, one stressed shortened school hours. And in southern Minnesota, one campaigned on expanding rural economic opportunities and improved access to hospitals. In rural and exurban districts, the quality of roads and schools is a big issue.

Third, independents are shifting toward Democrats. Post says that the Trump effect is complicated. In many of these races, it is deeply energizing the Democratic volunteer and voter base, while leading independents to generally want change, making them more receptive to what Democratic candidates are saying, which these candidates can capitalize on.

Democratic voters are “furious and want an outlet. So they’ll knock on the doors of other Democrats who are also furious. And then Democrats are turning out in huge numbers,” Post says. “Meanwhile, the candidate is talking to independents about local issues that really matter to their community, disconnected from Washington.” The result has been a “rebalancing,” in which districts that went heavily for Trump in 2016, washing out Dem local candidates, are now seeing quality Dem candidates reassert the Democratic brand.

This probably bodes well for Dems in the midterm elections, but with caveats. On the one hand, the Senate and House races will be more nationalized than these local elections have been, and it’s hard to predict the national political environment. On the other, most indications are that the energy among Democrats — the turnout and the volunteering — will sustain itself through 2018, especially since Trump shows no signs of curbing his vileness and depravity.

Beyond this, however, if Democrats can win a lot more of these state legislative races, that could matter immensely in coming years. Post tells me that Democrats are focused on flipping legislative chambers and are aiming at the state senates in Florida, Maine, New Hampshire and Wisconsin, and state houses in Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota and Pennsylvania.

This could increase Democrats’ influence over the next round of redistricting maps drawn for the House of Representatives, which will be crucial in determining control of the lower chamber in the next decade whether or not Democrats do take back the House this year. So every one of these little races matters.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 09:24 PM)
1) You know Kevin De Leon is a Hillary Democrat right?

2) Why unfortunately?

1) You mean he backed her in the election. A lot of people did. He supports 15 minimum wage and single payer health care. Not really Hillary Clinton strong points.

2) Do you know anything about Diane Feinstein? What that she supports are you super excited about? Was it her pro-death penalty stance, voting for Iraq war, supporter of the Patriot Act, maybe way back when she was mayor and defended having the confederate battle flag hanging in front of city hall.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 09:39 AM)
1) You mean he backed her in the election. A lot of people did. He supports 15 minimum wage and single payer health care. Not really Hillary Clinton strong points.

2) Do you know anything about Diane Feinstein? What that she supports are you super excited about? Was it her pro-death penalty stance, voting for Iraq war, supporter of the Patriot Act, maybe way back when she was mayor and defended having the confederate battle flag hanging in front of city hall.

1) He supported her over Bernie in the primary as well

2) Google who first introduced the Assault Weapons Ban.

I don't know why I should care who he supported in the 2016 primary if I think he's better than her today. Why is that relevant at all?

And of course she has a right to run. Nobody, anywhere, has said otherwise. He's also got a right to challenge her in the primaries, and people to the left of Feintstein can be hopeful that she gets successfully primaried from the left.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 11:45 AM)
I don't know why I should care who he supported in the 2016 primary if I think he's better than her today. Why is that relevant at all?

And of course she has a right to run. Nobody, anywhere, has said otherwise. He's also got a right to challenge her in the primaries, and people to the left of Feintstein can be hopeful that she gets successfully primaried from the left.

Everything's always about you, right?

The reason it's interesting is because Bernie Bros are lauding de Leon's victory as some sort of blow to the establishment, which it isn't, because he's also the establishment.

Great, she introduced the assault weapon ban. Any Democratic candidate that would replace her will have the same stance on gun control.

I just don't understand why wanting to replace a senator who is arguably one of the most conservative Democrats, from arguably the most progressive state in the union is so shocking to some.

Plus she is going to be 90 years old before her term is up.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 01:00 PM)
Great, she introduced the assault weapon ban. Any Democratic candidate that would replace her will have the same stance on gun control.

I just don't understand why wanting to replace a senator who is arguably one of the most conservative Democrats, from arguably the most progressive state in the union is so shocking to some.

Plus she is going to be 90 years old before her term is up.

It's not shocking. I get it. I just have a whole lot of other things I'd deem as more important right about now. If the woman wants to run, she can run. And as far as not getting the endorsement, it's unlikely to impact the results in the primary. I just generally don't like the idea of forcing incumbent Dems to waste a ton of money in primaries that could be used fighting their GOP opponents in the fall. This is one of those cycles where we absolutely have to have every advantage we possibly can, to win every possible seat we can.

Also, I hope the age factor comes into play for you when choosing which Presidential candidate you'd support ;)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 11:18 AM)
Everything's always about you, right?

No? That was just rhetorical phrasing.

The reason it's interesting is because Bernie Bros are lauding de Leon's victory as some sort of blow to the establishment, which it isn't, because he's also the establishment.

Feinstein is one of the higher profile Democrats in the Senate. If the progressive movement were to successfully primary her from the left with de Leon, that would be a victory for them even if de Leon is also "establishment" in some form. Maybe the progressive base's motivations are a little more complex and nuanced than you're giving them credit for?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 12:08 PM)
If the woman wants to run, she can run.

Why are you saying this? Are people trying to prevent her from running rather than trying to beat her in a race?

I just generally don't like the idea of forcing incumbent Dems to waste a ton of money in primaries that could be used fighting their GOP opponents in the fall.

Hey man, if they want to run, they can run. I'm glad my garbage dem rep Lipinski is facing a serious primary threat that's pulled him at least a little bit to the left from his anti-immigrant, anti-LGBT, anti-health care positions he's held ever since nepotism gave him his seat. Whoever emerges from IL-3 will crush the literal Nazi running on the Republican side, just like Democrats don't really have to worry about a Senate seat in California of all places.

Because if they can't hold a Senate seat in California easily, lol 2018 will be a complete bloodbath.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 01:09 PM)
No? That was just rhetorical phrasing.

Feinstein is one of the higher profile Democrats in the Senate. If the progressive movement were to successfully primary her from the left with de Leon, that would be a victory for them even if de Leon is also "establishment" in some form. Maybe the progressive base's motivations are a little more complex and nuanced than you're giving them credit for?

Why are you saying this? Are people trying to prevent her from running rather than trying to beat her in a race?

Hey man, if they want to run, they can run. I'm glad my garbage dem rep Lipinski is facing a serious primary threat that's pulled him at least a little bit to the left from his anti-immigrant, anti-LGBT, anti-health care positions he's held ever since nepotism gave him his seat. Whoever emerges from IL-3 will crush the literal Nazi running on the Republican side, just like Democrats don't really have to worry about a Senate seat in California of all places.

Because if they can't hold a Senate seat in California easily, lol 2018 will be a complete bloodbath.

How can de Leon be part of the progressive movement and establishment simultaneously? I guess we can all spin for our own purposes.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 12:09 PM)
Maybe the progressive base's motivations are a little more complex and nuanced than you're giving them credit for?

It just seems like a meaningless argument over labels you're trying to have. The people primarying Feinstein are doing so for a variety of reasons that are better than "because establishment!," they like de Leon more and will be happy if he manages to push Feinstein out. I didn't push back on you calling de Leon "establishment" because it's not important.

To circle back to your original question of "Why unfortunately," it's unfortunate from a progressive perspective if the more progressive candidate doesn't win. "But he backed Clinton! But he's establishment [whatever that means in this case]!" isn't particularly important or relevant to why they want Feinstein gone.

Relating back to IL-3, I don't know or care if Marie Newman backed Clinton over Bernie. She's not "establishment," but that factors 0% into my support of her. Lipinski's been in Congress for a while, but I don't care that he's "establishment." I hope he gets primaried out because he holds crappy policy views and this district could do better, just like California can do better than Feinstein.

e:

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 03:00 PM)
Having de Leon in office is going to make it easier for Premier Sanders to get that single payer bill passed in the Senate.

this is actually the correct answer

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 04:00 PM)
Having de Leon in office is going to make it easier for President Sanders to get that single payer bill passed in the Senate.

I'd love some of what you're smoking. :lol:

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 08:22 PM)
Y'all thought Feinstein should retire, and she convinced Trump to support an assault weapons ban today! HAH!

I'm sure this will last at least as long as his commitment to supporting any bipartisan DACA bill presented (Kelly killed that idea the second the cameras left the room).

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 10:00 PM)
Having de Leon in office is going to make it easier for President Sanders to get that single payer bill passed in the Senate.

If only Bernie was 15 years younger. He'd win. Ditto Biden. Fountain of youth needed.

Teachers in West Virginia are having a major strike. All 55 counties are striking, MSNBC the leading "liberal" TV station on Monday brought it up for 2 minutes in the middle of the day. None of their prime time shows even mentioned it for 5 minutes.

New York Times op-ed continues to pump out absolute garbage Bret Stephens pieces, but can't have one person do one on this.

But you know Russia or something....

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 11:11 AM)
Teachers in West Virginia are having a major strike. All 55 counties are striking, MSNBC the leading "liberal" TV station on Monday brought it up for 2 minutes in the middle of the day. None of their prime time shows even mentioned it for 5 minutes.

New York Times op-ed continues to pump out absolute garbage Bret Stephens pieces, but can't have one person do one on this.

But you know Russia or something....

Massive wild cat strike of 33,000 teachers.

slime ball Devin Nunes leaked Sen. Mark Warner's personal text messages to Fox News. Republican Richard Burr and SEn. Warner met privately with Ryan who, of course, did absolutely nothing.

Senate Intelligence Leaders Say House G.O.P. Leaked a Senator’s Texts

WASHINGTON — The Senate Intelligence Committee has concluded that Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee were behind the leak of private text messages between the Senate panel’s top Democrat and a Russian-connected lawyer, according to two congressional officials briefed on the matter.

Senator Richard M. Burr of North Carolina, the committee’s Republican chairman, and Senator Mark Warner of Virginia, the top Democrat, were so perturbed by the leak that they demanded a rare meeting with Speaker Paul D. Ryan last month to inform him of their findings. They used the meeting with Mr. Ryan to raise broader concerns about the direction of the House Intelligence Committee under its chairman, Representative Devin Nunes of California, the officials said.

To the senators, who are overseeing what is effectively the last bipartisan investigation on Capitol Hill into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election, the leak was a serious breach of protocol and a partisan attack by one intelligence committee against the other.

The text messages were leaked just days after the same House Republicans had taken the extraordinary step of publicly releasing, over the objections of the F.B.I., a widely disputed memorandum based on sensitive government secrets. Taken together, the actions suggested a pattern of partisanship and unilateral action by the once-bipartisan House panel.

Fox News published the text messages, which were sent via a secure messaging application, in early February. President Trump and other Republicans loyal to him quickly jumped on the report to try to discredit Mr. Warner, suggesting that the senator was acting surreptitiously to try to talk with the former British spy who assembled a dossier of salacious claims about connections between Mr. Trump, his associates and Russia.

“Wow! -Senator Mark Warner got caught having extensive contact with a lobbyist for a Russian oligarch,” Mr. Trump wrote at the time. “Warner did not want a ‘paper trail’ on a ‘private’ meeting (in London) he requested with Steele of fraudulent Dossier fame.”

“All tied into Crooked Hillary,” Mr. Trump added.

The messages between Mr. Warner and Adam Waldman, a Washington lawyer, show that the senator tried for weeks to arrange a meeting with the former spy, Christopher Steele. The Senate committee has had difficulty making contact with Mr. Steele, whom it views as a key witness. And Mr. Waldman, who knew Mr. Steele, presented himself as a willing partner.

The Fox News article made prominent mention of work by Mr. Waldman’s Washington lobbying firm on behalf of Oleg V. Deripaska, a Russian aluminum magnate who was once close to Paul Manafort, Mr. Trump’s indicted former campaign chairman.

Copies of the messages were originally submitted by Mr. Waldman to the Senate committee. In January, one of Mr. Nunes’s staff members requested that copies be shared with the House committee as well, according to a person familiar with the request who was not authorized to talk about it publicly. Days later, the messages were published by Fox News, the person said. Fox’s report said that it had obtained the documents from a Republican source it did not name.

The documents published by Fox News appear to back up the senators’ accusation. Though they were marked “CONFIDENTIAL: Produced to USSSCI on a Confidential Basis,” suggesting that they had come from the Senate panel, known as the United States Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, the person familiar with the congressional requests said that the stamp was misleading and that other markings gave away their actual origin.

Specifically, the copy of the messages shared with the Senate was paginated, and the one submitted to the House — while preserving the reference to the Senate committee — was unpaginated.

A lawyer for Mr. Waldman independently concluded that the House committee had probably shared the document and sent a letter to Mr. Nunes complaining about the leak, according to a person familiar with the letter.

Mr. Burr appeared to make a veiled reference to the text messages during a public hearing with the heads of the government’s intelligence agencies last month.

Edited by StrangeSox

• 1 month later...

Teacher protests last month in WV.

Today, Oklahoma and Kentucky. Next up, Arizona.

Where are Trump and DeVos?...four states that voted for him.

Not to mention all the agricultural export states like Iowa soon to be hit by Chinese tariffs on pork, soybeans, sorghum, etc.

Blue wave, baby!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 09:07 AM)
Teacher protests last month in WV.

Today, Oklahoma and Kentucky. Next up, Arizona.

Where are Trump and DeVos?...four states that voted for him.

Not to mention all the agricultural export states like Iowa soon to be hit by Chinese tariffs on pork, soybeans, sorghum, etc.

Blue wave, baby!

Donald Trump and Betsy Devos should not be involved in the least in teacher pay protests in various states just because the states voted for him at the national level.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 03:10 PM)
Donald Trump and Betsy Devos should not be involved in the least in teacher pay protests in various states just because the states voted for him at the national level.

And yet that’s the prism eveything is looked at today...especially if these tariffs are imposed by China.

They’re specifically targeting his base (including EU)...Harley-Davidson WI, bourbon whiskey (TN/KY), farming/agriculture (numerous states, especially Heartland and Rust Belt.)

Do you think he would still go after Amazon if Washington (state) had voted for him...? Or Howard Schultz from Starbucks didn’t criticize Trump at every opportunity?

Heck, the GOP seems to be actively courting a “culture war” with WA, OR, CA and Hawaii. Hollywood. Liberals. Elites. Silicon Valley minus Peter Thiel (of course, tax policy runs counter.) Net neutrality. Sanctuary cities.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 04:51 PM)
And yet that’s the prism eveything is looked at today...especially if these tariffs are imposed by China.

They’re specifically targeting his base (including EU)...Harley-Davidson WI, bourbon whiskey (TN/KY), farming/agriculture (numerous states, especially Heartland and Rust Belt.)

Do you think he would still go after Amazon if Washington (state) had voted for him...? Or Howard Schultz from Starbucks didn’t criticize Trump at every opportunity?

Heck, the GOP seems to be actively courting a “culture war” with WA, OR, CA and Hawaii. Hollywood. Liberals. Elites. Silicon Valley minus Peter Thiel (of course, tax policy runs counter.) Net neutrality. Sanctuary cities.

I agree, the tarriffs imposed by china have a huge influence on the culture war in starbucks at Harley Davidson Bourbon farming company teacher protests purple monkey dishwasher.