2018 Democrats thread

southsider2k5

Also, re: Net Neutrality:

Let's be crystal clear about something. If nothing else demonstrates it, this vote today does: Democrats are the party that fights for the American People, for democracy, for fairness, and for justice. Republicans are fighting for their own corporate special interests, and to make themselves richer. That's it. This vote couldn't make that more obvious, given that 86% of ALL AMERICANS support net neutrality. The GOP is simply not reflecting the will of the people - they're reflecting the will of corporations. And I think this is something that's going to haunt them in this election cycle.

Net neutrality

Healthcare/entitlements
Economy (tax cuts)

These are the issues that will sink the GOP this cycle as things heat up.

22 hours ago, Reddy said:

Also, re: Net Neutrality:

Let's be crystal clear about something. If nothing else demonstrates it, this vote today does: Democrats are the party that fights for the American People, for democracy, for fairness, and for justice. Republicans are fighting for their own corporate special interests, and to make themselves richer. That's it. This vote couldn't make that more obvious, given that 86% of ALL AMERICANS support net neutrality. The GOP is simply not reflecting the will of the people - they're reflecting the will of corporations. And I think this is something that's going to haunt them in this election cycle.

Net neutrality

Healthcare/entitlements
Economy (tax cuts)

These are the issues that will sink the GOP this cycle as things heat up.

Of the 86% polled, how many could explain what net neutrality is and why it is important? 30%? 40%?

8 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Of the 86% polled, how many could explain what net neutrality is and why it is important? 30%? 40%?

I have absolutely no idea, and any guess on either of our parts would be pure conjecture. I'd argue that 14% against it are more likely to be the ones who don't know what it is - or they're telecom/internet execs.

44 minutes ago, Reddy said:

I have absolutely no idea, and any guess on either of our parts would be pure conjecture. I'd argue that 14% against it are more likely to be the ones who don't know what it is - or they're telecom/internet execs.

Right, but that's why pointing to what the American public as a whole thinks or wants is never a good idea. It's meaningless. The American people as a whole are really fucking stupid. 

Drew Carey was on Mark Maron's podcast a couple weeks ago and was talking about doing a game show that was centered around polls and surveys. Contestants had to guess how many people thought X or Y. I can't remember the specific examples now, but one was a question about asking people who their sentator or rep was and something like 10% of people knew. I tried to find the exact number, but here's a story with a similar result: https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2015/03/28/how-many-people-know-their-senators/yfgXyHR96X7YGhesaNQbnM/story.html 

Bottom line is that more people than you think are dumb and it's not just Republicans. Even if a majority of people want something doesn't mean they know whether it's a good or bad thing for them.

1 hour ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Right, but that's why pointing to what the American public as a whole thinks or wants is never a good idea. It's meaningless. The American people as a whole are really fucking stupid. 

Drew Carey was on Mark Maron's podcast a couple weeks ago and was talking about doing a game show that was centered around polls and surveys. Contestants had to guess how many people thought X or Y. I can't remember the specific examples now, but one was a question about asking people who their sentator or rep was and something like 10% of people knew. I tried to find the exact number, but here's a story with a similar result: https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2015/03/28/how-many-people-know-their-senators/yfgXyHR96X7YGhesaNQbnM/story.html 

Bottom line is that more people than you think are dumb and it's not just Republicans. Even if a majority of people want something doesn't mean they know whether it's a good or bad thing for them.

So that's a big ole nope from you on the whole democracy thing, yeah? Also, way to make a great argument for superdelegates ;)

3 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

They know enough to know they like what they have now and telecoms are already planning on fucking is hard, good enough to support the policy broadly

Leahy should have dumped the blue slip nonsense the second Reid removed the filibuster for judicial nominees because McConnell was blocking any and every appointment. We're going to get decades of far-right courts because of their negligence.

15 hours ago, Reddy said:

So that's a big ole nope from you on the whole democracy thing, yeah? Also, way to make a great argument for superdelegates ;)

I mean, I think that's why we have a representative democracy and not a true democracy. I'd be scared if the entire country had to vote on referendums or whatever. 

Just now, StrangeSox said:

What about our elected officials has shown that they're any more knowledgeable than the average person? Check out the Mo Brooks quotes a couple posts above.

Yeah, I mean certainly there are a good chunk of reps that don't care/don't know what they're talking about, but at least they have access to people who do know or can get to the source. How many people actually take the time to look into issues versus watching Fox News/MSNBC for the talking points that are being fed to them?

If you're going by what the people want, the vast majority of people wanted to disenfranchise minorities for the majority of our country's history. Obviously not a good reason to keep slavery/property ownership/restricted voting rights/insert discriminatory policies. 

Not saying I don't agree with the 86%, just that citing to what people want is never a good argument as to what's good policy.

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/gop-candidate-films-herself-harassing-160700304.html

GOP candidate films herself harassing transgender woman in CA bathroom...no Subway restaurant involved here at least

You brought it up, so you tell me what I did that was so wrong. ...      The first time I saw the male in high heels and dress (I have no idea if he was a cross dresser or transgender; he wasn't pulling the look off well) I was in the Subway when the person came in, and ate and did not leave or even hurry my dining in order to leave. I just sat and ate. I didn't chat her up, but I almost never have chatted up anybody I don't know when dining alone in a fast food place. Last two times I did it I got rejected. A taco place screwed up my order and gave me an extra burrito and two extra tacos (all I wanted was a burrito and one taco and drink) and I asked a family if they wanted a burrito and they looked like I was trying to rob them. Heaven forbid I not want to waste food.

Second time I was at Chipolte and ate about 1/3 of a bag of chips and asked some peeps if they wanted any chips and they looked at me like I was holding them up. ... Second time I was pulling into Subway and saw the guy in high heels and a dress walking into subway and I elected to pull away and not go in. I didn't attack the person; I didn't offend the person. She did not see me make the decision to pull away. I decided I was not up for dining with somebody I found so unattractive. If that makes me horrible, I hope God forgives me. Sorry I didn't do the right thing and go in the restaurant and eat there again. I did the wrong thing in sharing this story as life is supposed to be one big picnic, all the time.

Caulfield's post was a cheap shot to greg, implying I'd do something like the person who harassed somebody. That is pretty cruel as I have NEVER exhibited any such behavior in society. I've done nothing but be a respectable citizen at all times. You owe me an apology. I demand an apology. If you refuse to give one, please do not address me again. I actually think that lady filming that incident handled that wrong.

Edited by greg775

Lol.   Okay Greg, you have my apology...since Taylor Street Sox believes we are the same person (trolling), I had to prove it couldn’t possibly be true.    But please stop assuming everyone hates God, you’re going to drive yourself to an early grave if you get upset about the shifting state of Christianity in the world today.  If you watched the royal wedding, you’ll understand there will always be a place for God/believers in the world as long as there are like-minded individuals on earth who gather together.

At any rate, this should solve aforemention identity crisis once and for all.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

between this and the AT&T v Concepcion ruling several years back, it seems like class action suits are basically DOA. Hooray for wide-spread low-level illegality and fraud that will go unpunished because nobody is going to take the time and resources to individually sue over 10,000 different $100 violations!

Unironically support reviving FDR's court-packing plans to undue Lochner 2.0

Edited by StrangeSox

20 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

By the way, congratulations to Greg775 for being #9 in "best member reputation" at SoxTalk.

That's quite the momentous accomplishment...

What is that? Sounds awesome. BERNIE IS RuNNIN FOR PRES!

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/21/bernie-sanders-democrats-2018-599331

Bernie's Army in Disarray

Numerous problems dogging Our Revolution, including controversial leadership from current leader Nina Turner, their endorsement process (or lack thereof), spotty election record/failure to get involved in a number of races and accusations of hostile attitude/s toward Hispanics and immigration

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1