2018 Democrats thread

southsider2k5

The chief wanted perfect stats, so cops were told to pin crimes on black people, probe found

The indictment was damning enough: A former police chief of Biscayne Park and two officers charged with falsely pinning four burglaries on a teenager just to impress village leaders with a perfect crime-solving record.

But the accusations revealed in federal court last month left out far uglier details of past policing practices in tranquil Biscayne Park, a leafy wedge of suburbia just north of Miami Shores.

Records obtained by the Miami Herald suggest that during the tenure of former chief Raimundo Atesiano, the command staff pressured some officers into targeting random black people to clear cases.

“If they have burglaries that are open cases that are not solved yet, if you see anybody black walking through our streets and they have somewhat of a record, arrest them so we can pin them for all the burglaries,” one cop, Anthony De La Torre, said in an internal probe ordered in 2014. “They were basically doing this to have a 100% clearance rate for the city.”

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

The Crowley thing may actually be a pretty bad take on AOC's part.

First one is ridiculous though, especially since that same lady blamed third party voters and candidates for Clinton losing

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/12/nyregion/ocasio-cortez-crowley-twitter.html

I don't think it's just her. Crowley could declare himself for literally any other office to get his name taken off the ballot, but he's not. If he was truly endorsing and supporting her candidacy, he would.

13 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

Joe Crowley and other Democrats like him just refuse to go away even after total failure. 

It's about one thing for them.  Themselves.

He can't legally vacate the line. Good lord. Y'all embarrassing yourselves today - especially Alexandria. 

4 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

The Crowley thing may actually be a pretty bad take on AOC's part.

First one is ridiculous though, especially since that same lady blamed third party voters and candidates for Clinton losing

Wait. You mean she has no clue how any of this works and jumps to really bad conclusions on Twitter? It's like we should've been able to see this coming! 

2 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/12/nyregion/ocasio-cortez-crowley-twitter.html

I don't think it's just her. Crowley could declare himself for literally any other office to get his name taken off the ballot, but he's not. If he was truly endorsing and supporting her candidacy, he would.

That's ridiculous. He's not running. He's not campaigning. He endorsed her. Loudly. Repeatedly. You're saying he now has to run for another office? Can't she just win again? Y'all are literally the whiniest people on earth. 

7 hours ago, Reddy said:

Wait. You mean she has no clue how any of this works and jumps to really bad conclusions on Twitter? It's like we should've been able to see this coming! 

Says the branch of the party that has lost over a 1000 seats in the past ten years.

This idea of "I know how this works and you don't" shit is partly why people don't vote for Democrats. 

9 hours ago, Reddy said:

He can't legally vacate the line. Good lord. Y'all embarrassing yourselves today - especially Alexandria. 

Per that NYT article that is not even a little true.  

"There are no residency requirements, however, for some offices, and election lawyers say Mr. Crowley could put his name in nomination for any number of positions."

1 minute ago, illinilaw08 said:

Per that NYT article that is not even a little true.  

"There are no residency requirements, however, for some offices, and election lawyers say Mr. Crowley could put his name in nomination for any number of positions."

It's entirely true. The quote you lifted does not pertain. 

The only way his name can be removed is if he runs for another office. You'd all like him to commit a fraud of the electorate by running for an office he doesn't intend to hold? I can't with you people. 

2 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

Says the branch of the party that has lost over a 1000 seats in the past ten years.

This idea of "I know how this works and you don't" shit is partly why people don't vote for Democrats. 

(but like in this case she admitted she made a mistake and was wrong so.... Um...)

3 minutes ago, Reddy said:

It's entirely true. The quote you lifted does not pertain. 

The only way his name can be removed is if he runs for another office. You'd all like him to commit a fraud of the electorate by running for an office he doesn't intend to hold? I can't with you people. 

The quote that I lifted absolutely pertains.  Crowley says in the article that he can't put himself on another ballot because of residency requirements.  The quote says that election lawyers disagree with that stance.

Now, maybe there's a law out there that says it is "a fraud of the electorate" to run for an office just to remove oneself from another ballot (for the record, if Crowley really is throwing his support behind Osacio-Cortez, isn't he committing "fraud of the electorate" by not removing himself from this ballot in any way possible?).  I don't know because the article doesn't address that issue.  If that exists, please enlighten me.  

She did?  I didn't see anything.  All Crowley had to do was say "hey I know I'm on the ballot and i'm trying to figure out ways to remove my name". 

The one thing she did wrong was worry about a concession call from Crowley.

28 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

When will @Reddy condemn these centrists for not going blue no matter who?

I'll gladly condemn it. Sorry I'm a bit preoccupied working 12 hour days to win a Congressional race 

On 7/13/2018 at 10:16 AM, GoSox05 said:

She did?  I didn't see anything.  All Crowley had to do was say "hey I know I'm on the ballot and i'm trying to figure out ways to remove my name". 

The one thing she did wrong was worry about a concession call from Crowley.

Anyone see the interesting parallel between those who support Trump no matter what and those who defend progressive candidates to the death and refuse to admit they could ever possibly have made a mistake?

28 minutes ago, Reddy said:

Anyone see the interesting parallel between those who support Trump no matter what and those who defend progressive candidates to the death and refuse to admit they could ever possibly have made a mistake?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/14/opinions/trump-white-house-drama-emmy-nomination-opinion-zelizer/index.html

Say what you will, but Ocasio-Cortez is one of the few Dems with any oxygen right now.  Same with Sanders, and Warren to a slightly lesser extent.

Other than Joe Biden, what legit centrist/globalist/neoliberal candidate is out there with enough star power to actually counter Trump?

You also realize that you’re painting those pushing for progressive policies as the moral equivalents of left wing neo-Nazis...or anti-Rabbits.  That’s a sure way to get Trump re-elected and 1-2 more conservative SCOTUS named, by the way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/14/opinions/trump-white-house-drama-emmy-nomination-opinion-zelizer/index.html

Say what you will, but Ocasio-Cortez is one of the few Dems with any oxygen right now.  Same with Sanders, and Warren to a slightly lesser extent.

Other than Joe Biden, what legit centrist/globalist/neoliberal candidate is out there with enough star power to actually counter Trump?

You also realize that you’re painting those pushing for progressive policies as the moral equivalents of left wing neo-Nazis...or anti-Rabbits.  That’s a sure way to get Trump re-elected and 1-2 more conservative SCOTUS named, by the way.

She's already lost a lot of that oxygen thanks to the last week or so. She got a majority of 12% of a Bronx/Queens electorate. It's hardly a mandate. And people are going to be SO turned off by her campaigning around the midwest. Sit and watch it play out.

1 hour ago, Reddy said:

And I didn't say anything about progressive policy. I said it about self-titled progressives and the way they idolize and worship their candidates.

How would you describe the opposite feeling for centrist candidates?  Pragmatic realism?

Nobody gets excited to vote for 27-29 year old candidates unless they really possess the ability to shake up the system, not provide more of the status quo.

And, if not her, what candidate will excite anyone in Iowa?   Corey Booker would rather take money from Big Pharma and Wall Street while convincing you he “feels your pain”...while trying to thread the need,e of occupying a place between Bill Clinton and Obama.  It won’t work.  So what else do you have that will motivate the Left to get out and vote?