2018 Democrats thread

southsider2k5

Just now, Heads22 said:

If the confirmation vote is already decided, I guess I have no issue with people like Heitkamp voting for confirmation if they think it will help them. But I agree that it won't win/lose them an election.

Right, that's the kicker. If there are already 51 R votes, why would they vote in a way that would hurt their chances? If Collins or Murk (shockingly) flip, then that changes things.

Just now, Reddy said:

Right, that's the kicker. If there are already 51 R votes, why would they vote in a way that would hurt their chances? If Collins or Murk (shockingly) flip, then that changes things.

And really, those are the only two people that matter. I'd be *shocked* if they flipped and all dems didn't vote no.

In N.H. election stunner, a onetime refugee knocks off entrenched incumbent

He’s a veteran state representative who has railed against immigrants “getting everything” at the expense of people born and raised in the state. She’s a 27-year-old former Afghan refugee making her first run for political office.

So when the tally from Tuesday’s Democratic primary in Concord, N.H., was announced, even Safiya Wazir said she was astounded. She hadn’t just beaten state Representative Dick Patten, a 66-year-old former city councilor. She crushed him, winning 329 votes to his 143.

Read the full story

2 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

He is probably going to win pretty easy today, but I just don't know how anyone could vote for Andrew Cuomo. 

I mean I would be if I lived there. I didn't want Trump and I don't want Nixon for similar reasons. Experience actually matters, and while Cuomo is FAR from perfect, he's still got one of the most progressive records of any Governor in America. Who cares if he has to be forced to do it by screaming constituents? It gets done. I worry that literally nothing would get done under a Nixon governorship. 

17 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Cuomo is so progressive he worked with Republicans to make sure the state house stayed in their control!

Listen, I hate that part. I hate the IDC. I really do. But between these two options I just can't get myself behind Nixon. I just can't do that. She should've run for lower office first. If there were a viable alternative to Cuomo I'd support them.

13 hours ago, Reddy said:

Listen, I hate that part. I hate the IDC. I really do. But between these two options I just can't get myself behind Nixon. I just can't do that. She should've run for lower office first. If there were a viable alternative to Cuomo I'd support them.

Couldn't we same the exact same thing about Trump and Obama...?

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

People are now complaining about high voter turnout? Regardless of the reason, the higher turnout should always be a good thing. More voters should be involved in the process.

Unless you're a Bernie Bro

19 minutes ago, ptatc said:

People are now complaining about high voter turnout? Regardless of the reason, the higher turnout should always be a good thing. More voters should be involved in the process.

That's not a complaint just an observation. I think Dave Weigel even backed Carper over Harris in the DE race or at least hinted at his preference. He's a WaPo reporter.

There was something floating around last night about someone within Nixon's campaign actually complaining about high turnout, though. I don't know if it was substantiated but if true, that's an awful look.

edit2: oh I see Weigel actually linked the tweet I was talking about! Still haven't seen who that little screenshot snippet was supposed to be from, though.

Edited by StrangeSox

39 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Corporatists are the worst problem. At least you can clearly paint Republicans as the bad guys who want to take away your rights, it's harder for people who have never experienced things like collective bargaining rights, a progressive tax system that actually funds social programs, or well funded social programs that provide benefits to the average American to see that the Corporatists are doing the exact same thing.

I think Matty's point here is valid, and it tracks with what I've seen from Lipinski at least during his primary battle this spring. While he's still a conservative democrat with bad personal policy preferences, he's shifted both his rhetoric and some of his votes leftward as pressure increases. Hopefully, Cuomo does the same. At the very least, the IDC got wiped out.

33 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

That's not a complaint just an observation. I think Dave Weigel even backed Carper over Harris in the DE race or at least hinted at his preference. He's a WaPo reporter.

There was something floating around last night about someone within Nixon's campaign actually complaining about high turnout, though. I don't know if it was substantiated but if true, that's an awful look.

edit2: oh I see Weigel actually linked the tweet I was talking about! Still haven't seen who that little screenshot snippet was supposed to be from, though.

From everything I was reading last night, people were complaining about voting issues.  People being purged from the polls for no reason.   I guess New York has some awful voting laws. 

49 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

From everything I was reading last night, people were complaining about voting issues.  People being purged from the polls for no reason.   I guess New York has some awful voting laws. 

New York has the worst voting laws in the country. Also, turnout tripled from 14, and Nixon is complaining that "high turnout" helped Cuomo even though he's presided over really strict voter laws.

Huh?

Maybe people just didn't like you! #NovelConcepts

1 hour ago, GoSox05 said:

What was it about than?

It was about representation in a low-turnout race, not about policy. People want leaders who look like them and come from the places they come from.

And this... since we're quoting lefty-fan Dave Weigel today ;)

Edited by Reddy

4 minutes ago, Reddy said:

New York has the worst voting laws in the country. Also, turnout tripled from 14, and Nixon is complaining that "high turnout" helped Cuomo even though he's presided over really strict voter laws.

Huh?

Maybe people just didn't like you! #NovelConcepts

Ah yes, unlike Andrew Cuomo, who is beloved by everyone.