2018 Democrats thread

southsider2k5

48 minutes ago, Reddy said:

Nope. It's someone who fell into the Bernie or Bust category. That's it. If you voted HRC and understand that sometimes the greater good is more important than your personal ideology, then you don't fall into that category. It's a specific type of Bernie supporter.

Is the party still fractured over what happened at the convention and with the super delegates? I really doubt Trump would have lost to Sanders. The next primary elections will have to be fairer with the super delegates out of the way. Let’s see what happens and if Biden, Harris, Warren or Gillibrand will be the nominee, to name a few. I also liked the mayor of New Orleans as well.

2 hours ago, Reddy said:

Nope. It's someone who fell into the Bernie or Bust category. That's it. If you voted HRC and understand that sometimes the greater good is more important than your personal ideology, then you don't fall into that category. It's a specific type of Bernie supporter.

I cannot even begin to fathom how someone who voted for Bernie Sanders in the Dem primary could even consider voting for Der Trumpenfuhrer in the GE. It boggles the mind however horrible anyone though HRC was, Der Trumpenfuhrer takes the cake. 

10 hours ago, Reddy said:

Maybe we're so obsessed with beating/hating on each other that we're not actually listening to each other.

I'm not "hating" on you, I just don't understand how you reach the conclusions you do, especially the contradictory ones.

2 hours ago, Reddy said:

That can't be right, because you call me a "Bernie Bro" every time you bring up how police brutality is the most important issue out there right now and anyone who disagrees doesn't know how to communicate with minority communities. 

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

Is the party still fractured over what happened at the convention and with the super delegates? I really doubt Trump would have lost to Sanders. The next primary elections will have to be fairer with the super delegates out of the way. Let’s see what happens and if Biden, Harris, Warren or Gillibrand will be the nominee, to name a few. I also liked the mayor of New Orleans as well.

It's not the convention or the Superdelegates that has the party fractured, it's the corporate establishment that doesn't want to yield power to the progressive activists that can actually move the party and its causes forward.

47 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I cannot even begin to fathom how someone who voted for Bernie Sanders in the Dem primary could even consider voting for Der Trumpenfuhrer in the GE. It boggles the mind however horrible anyone though HRC was, Der Trumpenfuhrer takes the cake. 

I doubt many did, but HRC and her campaign calling them racists didn't endear her to them.

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Knee-jerk contrarians who were never and will never be Democrats or liberals but were just voting anti-establishment.

But I believe that more Sanders primary voters voted for Clinton in 2016 than Clinton primary voters voted for Obama in 2008.

The Bernie voters who defected to Trump, explained by a political scientist

12% of Sanders voters went to Trump

25% of Clinton supporters went to McCain.  Clinton bros!

Hell, 13% of Obama voters from the previous election voted for Trump. 

"Bernie Bros"  was a saying that was used heavily by Clinton supporters and not many other people.  People like Al Giordano and Neera Tanden used it a lot to claim that all male Sanders supporters hated women or something because they didn't like Clinton.  Funny enough Giordano was later accused of sexual harassment and Tanden helped expose a victim of sexual harassment.  Funny how that works.

Edited by GoSox05

12 hours ago, The Beast said:

Yeah it is. It's under the surface right now, and voters actually don't give a damn about the division, but within the party the factions still exist. There are a lot of interesting folks for 2020 we're not really talking about right now. 

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Knee-jerk contrarians who were never and will never be Democrats or liberals but were just voting anti-establishment.

But I believe that more Sanders primary voters voted for Clinton in 2016 than Clinton primary voters voted for Obama in 2008.

But how many Bernie supporters stayed home? Do we know. How much of the far left (well, far right, co-opted by the left) rhetoric dampened turnout for Dems?

2 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

The Bernie voters who defected to Trump, explained by a political scientist

12% of Sanders voters went to Trump

25% of Clinton supporters went to McCain.  Clinton bros!

Hell, 13% of Obama voters from the previous election voted for Trump. 

"Bernie Bros"  was a saying that was used heavily by Clinton supporters and not many other people.  People like Al Giordano and Neera Tanden used it a lot to claim that all male Sanders supporters hated women or something because they didn't like Clinton.  Funny enough Giordano was later accused of sexual harassment and Tanden helped expose a victim of sexual harassment.  Funny how that works.

Are we creating a false equivalency now between voting for McCain and voting for Trump? Lord, I love these ridiculous conversations. Why are we still STILL relitigating this going through the SAME damn arguments over and over and over again?

Dam, I'll ask again, there are 48 days left. Where are you volunteering?

10 minutes ago, Reddy said:

But how many Bernie supporters stayed home? Do we know. How much of the far left (well, far right, co-opted by the left) rhetoric dampened turnout for Dems?

Fewer Bernie supporters (at least percentage wise, I don't know total numbers) stayed home or voted for someone other than Clinton than the same situation for Clinton voters in 2008.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reddy said:

Are we creating a false equivalency now between voting for McCain and voting for Trump? Lord, I love these ridiculous conversations. Why are we still STILL relitigating this going through the SAME damn arguments over and over and over again?

some people won't stop whining about "bernie bros" and how the left are traitors to the Democrats?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

some people won't stop whining about "bernie bros" and how the left are traitors to the Democrats?

This. Again, Reddy keeps sweeping through this thread, insulting and bullying the people he doesn't agree with, and then playing the victim on behalf of the party.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Reddy said:

Sorry, I'm not a McCain apologist.  He was an awful politician who would have probably had us in 10 wars right now, so I don't think it's a false equivalency.

I'm not volunteering for anyone.  I have a job that requires me to work 50 hours a week and I'm currently in school 10 hours a week.  I donate money when I can, but money is tight.

11 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Fewer Bernie supporters (at least percentage wise, I don't know total numbers) stayed home or voted for someone other than Clinton than the same situation for Clinton voters in 2008.

I haven't seen that data (regarding staying home/depressed turnout), can you link it?

10 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Yes. Dam brings it up (again) and somehow I'm the one who won't stop whining. Got it. Y'all are pro-gaslighters. Kind of like...... Bernie Bros...

2 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Sorry, I'm not a McCain apologist.  He was an awful politician who would have probably had us in 10 wars right now, so I don't think it's a false equivalency.

I'm not volunteering for anyone.  I have a job that requires me to work 50 hours a week and I'm currently in school 10 hours a week.  I donate money when I can, but money is tight.

I work 80 hours a week? I know people in your exact position who come in and volunteer anyway because they realize it's that important. I know people who work 40 hour weeks as teachers, are also sports coaches, who also volunteer three days a week and also have kids they bring with them.

You could do something.

7 minutes ago, Reddy said:

I haven't seen that data (regarding staying home/depressed turnout), can you link it?

why would I bother when you're just going to dismiss it out of hand as a "false equivalency" so you can keep talking about how Bernie supporters stabbed Clinton in the back but it's perfectly okay that Clinton voters were much worse re: Obama in 2008?

6 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

duder you brought it up first in the latest round of you whining about anyone to the left of garbage centrist/center right democrats at every opportunity.

I wasn't calling anyone HERE that when I said it - I was referring to the arguments some people were making on twitter denigrating high turnout, yet somehow y'all took offense anyway? What does that say? Jesus.

6 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

why would I bother when you're just going to dismiss it out of hand as a "false equivalency" so you can keep talking about how Bernie supporters stabbed Clinton in the back but it's perfectly okay that Clinton voters were much worse re: Obama in 2008?

This means you don't have the data available.

9 minutes ago, Reddy said:

I work 80 hours a week? I know people in your exact position who come in and volunteer anyway because they realize it's that important. I know people who work 40 hour weeks as teachers, are also sports coaches, who also volunteer three days a week and also have kids they bring with them.

You could do something.

School just started and when things slow down a little I will go volunteer with DSA, who I already donate to.  If you think I'm going to volunteer for someone like Dan Lipinski or some other garbage Democrat just because they are a Democrat. 

• Like 1

Just now, GoSox05 said:

School just started and when things slow down a little I will go volunteer with DSA, who I already donate to.  If you think I'm going to volunteer for someone like Dan Lipinski or some other garbage Democrat just because they are a Democrat. 

You don't have to volunteer for Lipinski. I'll give you that one. 😂

Posting my podcast episode did not have the effect I'd hoped.

Aight I'm gonna try and back off because honestly I want to all be on the same team, despite my instincts and how much y'all frustrate the shit out of me. My race I'm on is a perfect example of how to get people to come together regardless of political ideology and I'm gonna try and take some lessons from it. 

28 minutes ago, Reddy said:

You could do something.

Back to bullying and shaming about two posts after wondering why people are fighting.  This is quality work.