2018 Democrats thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Heads22 said:

I wish the democrat running for governor here in Iowa wasn't a personality vacuum.

His campaign is also brutally bad on an operational level. If this were any other year he'd be toast.

44 minutes ago, Reddy said:

They sure hit the nail on the head when they described our generation as entitled, didn't they?

I love voter shaming.  If you don't like our garbage candidates then you are entitled.  Not, maybe we should give people something to vote for. 

I mean it's worked so well over the past 8 years.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, GoSox05 said:

I love voter shaming.  If you don't like our garbage candidates then you are entitled.  Not, maybe we should give people something to vote for. 

I mean it's worked so well over the past 8 years.

Reddy is the king of if you don't like my way, you're just wrong. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reddy said:

They sure hit the nail on the head when they described our generation as entitled, didn't they?

My time is my most valuable resource. I'm not giving it to some schmuck I don't believe in just because he or she has a (D) behind his/her name. If you consider that entitled, perhaps you don't value your time appropriately.

3 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

My time is my most valuable resource. I'm not giving it to some schmuck I don't believe in just because he or she has a (D) behind his/her name. If you consider that entitled, perhaps you don't value your time appropriately.

We've been down this road. There are plenty of progressives you could make calls for.

15 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

Reddy is the king of if you don't like my way, you're just wrong. 

It's an attitude of you work for the Democratic party, they don't work for you.

They do it because they know we have no other option.  The other party went over the cliff.  So they can guilt people into voting for them and also use it as an excuse when they lose.

This is how we get to young people are just entitled brats and not how do we help young people and give them a reason to vote for us.  Poor people are just lazy and that's why they don't vote instead of what can we do to make their lives better. 

A lot of people don't vote because they don't feel like anything will change if either party wins.  There are so many votes that the Democrats could turn out with better messaging.  Instead they are trying to convert the 30 independent moderate Republicans, who claim independence but vote R 95% of the time.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

It's incredible how terrible Schumer is at being an opposition leader.

Schumer is getting desperate it looks like Republicans may GAIN 2-3 seats in the senate. Right now RCP has it 50-44 with 6 tossups. Those 6 tossups are mostly in red states Arizona, Florida, Indiana, Missouri, Montana, Nevada.

The Dems need to make a graceful exit because after Kavanaugh having redstate dems not campaign to try block even more nominees that most denizens of their state want probably wouldn't play well.

4 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

He really should win that race.  Cruz is bad for America.

He has been to every county in Texas.  Every time I see an interview with him he sounds like his voice is getting ready to go.

It would just be hilarious to see Cruz lose.  He would be be so mad about it and then Trump would tweet that he is a loser or something like that.  It's been a rough couple years of politics in America, so that would be fun.

They should just run an ad where they show that clip of Cruz spitting out food while talking and re-eating it, while the voice over just calls him a pathetic, spineless cuck for not sticking up for his wife when Trump mocked her appearance.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

Schumer is getting desperate it looks like Republicans may GAIN 2-3 seats in the senate. Right now RCP has it 50-44 with 6 tossups. Those 6 tossups are mostly in red states Arizona, Florida, Indiana, Missouri, Montana, Nevada.

The Dems need to make a graceful exit because after Kavanaugh having redstate dems not campaign to try block even more nominees that most denizens of their state want probably wouldn't play well.

The Senate has always been a long shot this year. It's a brutal map for Democrats, and they only really have a hope of taking the chamber thanks to a miracle win in Alabama last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Republicans gain 2-3.

As the minority party, you only need one member on the floor at a time to gum up the works, but it forces the majority to have at least 50 present. Schumer could have rotated through a number of Dems not up for election or in safe states and let the others go home to campaign, but he is terrible at his job so he agreed to let McConnell keep packing the courts.

I don't know that many people would get all that wound up over some circuit judges. It certainly wouldn't be the big media story that a Supreme Court hearing is. 

e: good timing re: Kavanaugh. It doesn't break it down state by state, so it could hurt Democrats in the Senate, but Kavanaugh remains deeply unpopular the the GOP narrative that he's boosting their overall chances in November may be more wishful thinking than anything.

Edited by StrangeSox

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

The Senate has always been a long shot this year. It's a brutal map for Democrats, and they only really have a hope of taking the chamber thanks to a miracle win in Alabama last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Republicans gain 2-3.

As the minority party, you only need one member on the floor at a time to gum up the works, but it forces the majority to have at least 50 present. Schumer could have rotated through a number of Dems not up for election or in safe states and let the others go home to campaign, but he is terrible at his job so he agreed to let McConnell keep packing the courts.

I don't know that many people would get all that wound up over some circuit judges. It certainly wouldn't be the big media story that a Supreme Court hearing is. 

e: good timing re: Kavanaugh. It doesn't break it down state by state, so it could hurt Democrats in the Senate, but Kavanaugh remains deeply unpopular the the GOP narrative that he's boosting their overall chances in November may be more wishful thinking than anything.

It would further a certain narrative and most of the democrat fortunes in these red states are falling as it is. Not to mention they need to go back and campaign also if the theory is the Democrats are not going to take back the senate what does fighting really accomplish? They'll just be confirmed later hell they don't even have the votes to block them now the best scenario is they delay a couple until after the election.

Schumer made the smart decision, really the only decision. I don't get the anger towards him at all first of all he threw his red state democrats under the bus in a failed attempt to stop Kavanaugh. That didn't work but it least had a small sliver of a chance of success. Fighting these nominees does nothing for democrats

18 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

It would further a certain narrative and most of the democrat fortunes in these red states are falling as it is. Not to mention they need to go back and campaign also if the theory is the Democrats are not going to take back the senate what does fighting really accomplish? They'll just be confirmed later hell they don't even have the votes to block them now the best scenario is they delay a couple until after the election.

Schumer made the smart decision, really the only decision. I don't get the anger towards him at all first of all he threw his red state democrats under the bus in a failed attempt to stop Kavanaugh. That didn't work but it least had a small sliver of a chance of success. Fighting these nominees does nothing for democrats

This doesn’t account for a potential 20%+ correction in the stock market in October...that pushes AZ and NV to the Dems, maybe even TN or TX flip.  Florida goes to Nelson for sure.

The only one who seems truly doomed right now is Heitkamp.

Edited by caulfield12

24 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I already explained that they can go back and campaign either way. 

Schumer could and should fight every step up the way as McConnell did when he controlled the minority. Winning the Senate is a long-shot, but it's within the realm of possibility. That would then be 15 fewer court seats for reactionary Federalist Society hacks.