2018 Democrats thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

First of all who are these people? And nothing you posted or the previous poster posted have much of anything to do with PC culture as a FYI I have my own opinion on things sometimes they match up with the mainstream view of the Republican party othertimes they don't.

As do a bunch of other individuals who vote Republican some or all the time. There are some issues where there are very little disagreement but for example when it comes to homosexual marriage I couldn't care less if they get married. When it comes to Islam as long as the truth is being taught noone has a problem with it the problem lies with the fact some want to teach a sanitized version of their religion. Teach it all light is the best disinfectant that goes for Christianity as well. Of course in todays climate that may not be possible and if it isn't why shouldn't parents just not want it taught at all? I mean if both sides want to politicize the education of a subject why not leave it upto the parents? The same applies to sexual education I think it should be taught but not the current version which has more to do with social engineering then educating teens on sex.

I'm not going to go through the twenty or so items you posted one by one because it would take too long. You noticed I said the left and I did that because identity politics  and PC culture are actually not widely accepted democrat ideals at least among their voters. It's why a bunch of them fled the democrats in 2016 and Trump shattered the Blue Wall.

77,000 voters, 3 states, not close in the popular vote...there was never a Blue Wall because most Clinton voters were resigned to voting for her rather than being enthusiastic or hopeful/optimistic.

Anyways for me much of my support is he is totally unafraid to take on the establishment. Whether that be TPP, NAFTA, NATO, Tariffs, Immigration work visas. A bunch of other politicians talk a good game but does anyone think Hillary would have ended the TPP and renegotiated NAFTA?

20 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Republican politics are mainly white grievance politics, which is it's own form of idpol

It is and has been becoming that, sadly, yes. It wasn't always that way and won't necessarily be in the future. That undercurrent was always there, but now it's the rudder, at least for the time being.

11 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Anyways for me much of my support is he is totally unafraid to take on the establishment. Whether that be TPP, NAFTA, NATO, Tariffs, Immigration work visas. A bunch of other politicians talk a good game but does anyone think Hillary would have ended the TPP and renegotiated NAFTA?

You do realize the "renegotiation" of NAFTA was changing or modernizing like 5 or 6 things that both sides wanted, with 98% of the agreement simply staying as it was, yes? And that he's not changed anything around NATO, despite all his bluster?

Most politicians weren't even trying to talk games like Tariffs and Travel Bans because they are idiotic and self-destructive. It's not that others were afraid of something, it is that they would prefer not to accelerate the next recession's arrival in exchange for a year or two of corporate profit bumps.

19 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

What tangible benefits have we received so far out of these renegotiated deals?

How can you successfully argue that there will be more American corporate profits without TPP than with it?  Based on what?  That trade deals in groups or blocs are bad, but not unilateral ones?

By the way, most of our global supply chains are sourced overseas, so the negative trade balance in goods and services doesn’t reflect that accurately.

What is the soft cost of allowing China to take the lead in Asia on trade with some of those countries who are supposed to be our close/st allies?

Since we don’t stand up for human rights in foreign policy, what DO we actually stand for?

https://eand.co/the-test-of-a-civilized-society-b615963900ea

We’re currently failing the test of being a civilized society...and it’s continuing to unravel with each passing year.

Edited by caulfield12

One thing I have to give Trump is his ability to get people to think that he is not part of the establishment, it's really impressive.

A New York billionaire, who was born into wealth and is now president and his party controls all three branches of government is not establishment some how.  Not to mention that most of his cabinet is just other billionaires that have no business being in the position they are, but they are rich.  See Betsy Devos.

Conservatives don't engage in idpol, just those filthy degenerate lefties!

A lot of conservative campaigns this year are centered on culture war (which is just another name for idpol) issues, including the Senate messaging on SC/judicial appointments. They're not talking about fiscal policy or even attempting to defend their tax cuts for billionaires, and they're only talking about health care to the extent that they are lying about their support for pre-existing conditions coverage.

2 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

LMAO

2 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

It is and has been becoming that, sadly, yes. It wasn't always that way and won't necessarily be in the future. That undercurrent was always there, but now it's the rudder, at least for the time being.

You do realize the "renegotiation" of NAFTA was changing or modernizing like 5 or 6 things that both sides wanted, with 98% of the agreement simply staying as it was, yes? And that he's not changed anything around NATO, despite all his bluster?

Most politicians weren't even trying to talk games like Tariffs and Travel Bans because they are idiotic and self-destructive. It's not that others were afraid of something, it is that they would prefer not to accelerate the next recession's arrival in exchange for a year or two of corporate profit bumps.

I get sent to Canada for work on a regular basis and I can tell you that simply isn't true. The media narrative in Canada is that Trump rolled over Trudeau got entry into the milk market and a whole host of other things while at the same time keeping the steel tariffs and also being prevented from doing a deal with China.

What exactly did Canada get? They got to keep a couple things they wanted kept but they didn't get anything added. Mexico is even worse they got a whole bunch of standards as it relates to supply chains and wages that will force manufacturing jobs back to the states particularly in the automotive sector.

10 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I get sent to Canada for work on a regular basis and I can tell you that simply isn't true. The media narrative in Canada is that Trump rolled over Trudeau got entry into the milk market and a whole host of other things while at the same time keeping the steel tariffs and also being prevented from doing a deal with China.

What exactly did Canada get? They got to keep a couple things they wanted kept but they didn't get anything added. Mexico is even worse they got a whole bunch of standards as it relates to supply chains and wages that will force manufacturing jobs back to the states particularly in the automotive sector.

Have you actually read or seen the changes to NAFTA with Canada? Pick your favorite news site, they all had articles listing the handful of changes. A few things that both sides wanted, and there was the Milk thing added in addition to Canada getting some similar consessions from the US on other products. The rest of NAFTA stays as is.

All the Tariffs, angry words, and burning bridges, just to get stuff they could have gotten with a few phone calls.

12 minutes ago, Reddy said:

Literally no one is running on that.

No one.

Have you seen the Illinois Gubernatorial race?  You should learn not to speak in absolutes.  There absolutely are people running on the anti-Trump platform.  Obviously, it's not their only shtick but it's one that will definitely rile people up.

Pritzker isn't running on "I'm not Trump" in any of the ads I'm seeing?

Some of the local House races are tying vulnerable candidates like Roskam to Trump, but they still focus on the tax cuts for billionaires and their never-ending quest to kick millions off of health care

47 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Some of the local House races are tying vulnerable candidates like Roskam to Trump, but they still focus on the tax cuts for billionaires and their never-ending quest to kick millions off of health care

The best is the tax cuts for billonaires and the democratic candidate for Illinois governor will be the wealthiest governor in the nation if elected and he claims to be a democrat who will tell you of his hardships growing up that 99% of the voters cannot relate to but he will win with about 60% of the vote because Illinois is a complete shitshow.  He should not have won the democratic primary but it's Illinois where your vote literally does not count......well maybe in the Chiago mayoral race it will. 

48 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Repeal and Replace Trump signs means what exactly?  To me, a Trump supporter won't change their support of him.  You need the rest of non voters who decided to mail in last election to step up, get to the polls, and pick a side.  At least I am not trump will work for some, but most want real sustenance and what exactly has the DNC said their platform is?