2018 Democrats thread

southsider2k5

Of course Bernie would rig his own primary after trashing the DNC for "rigging" their Presidential primary.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/21/bernie-sanders-democrat-independent-vermont-601844 

"He also said that he’ll pull the same maneuver that he did in his 2006 and 2012 Senate races: Running as a Democrat, declining the nomination when he wins and then running as an independent. The move makes it virtually impossible for another Democrat to seek the party’s nod."

You stay classy, Senator.

So you people don't care that he's making it impossible for anyone to run against him? You same people who got mad that the DNC interfered with Democracy? Good lord. The cognitive dissonance with you people is Trumpian.

11 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Peoples fascination with Sanders being being a Democrat or not is mind boggling.   Who cares.

Who cares? A lot of Bernie supporters seemed to care that the Democratic party wasnt rolling out the red carpet for him. He can do whatever he wants, but there are consequences for his decisions.

Ok. 

You've lost any credibility you had to criticize Dems/Trump/GOP/anyone for interfering with the democratic process.

From a friend:

2002:
"Hey guys, I'm a Democrat. Yeah, no -- I'm a Democrat. I'm running in the Democratic Primary."

"Oh, I'm the nominee? Yeah, I'm not a Democrat."

2006:
"Hey guys, I'm a Democrat. Yeah, no -- I'm a Democrat. I'm running in the Democratic Primary."

2012:

"Oh? I lost? Yeah, I'm not a Democrat." 

2018:

Bernie Supporters: BERNIE IS SO AUTHENTIC *orgasm*

Wait, was someone going to run against him in the primary?

It wasn't a secret that he'd do this, since he's done it three other times, so it would be futile for anyone to run against him for the Democratic nomination that he's already said he won't accept. Bernie Sanders is literally gaming the system in order to keep anyone from running against him. You don't think that's fucked up?

From WaPo:

"Sanders is going to run in the Democratic primary for no reason except to preclude anybody else from winning it — despite having no intention of running as a Democrat in the general election. Sanders basically wants to ensure he will face no Democratic opponent in November. A cynic might say the guy who complained about the rigging of the 2016 Democratic presidential primary is kinda, sorta rigging the 2018 Vermont Senate race for himself."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/05/21/bernie-sanders-is-still-borrowing-the-democratic-party/?utm_term=.8b8a0eafbe54 

Can't someone run against him in the Democratic primary?

Sure, but how fucked up is it to force any other candidates to spend time, money and energy campaigning when they know you're not even going to accept the nomination if you win? Who would put themselves through that? This is the type of election-manipulation authoritarians in flawed democracies engage in to keep anyone from running against them. If you're wondering why the US is now considered a flawed democracy, it's because of shit like this.

Long live Bernie Sanders, Man of the People.

57 minutes ago, Reddy said:

Of course Bernie would rig his own primary after trashing the DNC for "rigging" their Presidential primary.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/21/bernie-sanders-democrat-independent-vermont-601844 

"He also said that he’ll pull the same maneuver that he did in his 2006 and 2012 Senate races: Running as a Democrat, declining the nomination when he wins and then running as an independent. The move makes it virtually impossible for another Democrat to seek the party’s nod."

You stay classy, Senator.

what was that about refighting previous elections?

6 minutes ago, Reddy said:

Sure, but how fucked up is it to force any other candidates to spend time, money and energy campaigning when they know you're not even going to accept the nomination if you win? Who would put themselves through that? This is the type of election-manipulation authoritarians in flawed democracies engage in to keep anyone from running against them. If you're wondering why the US is now considered a flawed democracy, it's because of shit like this.

So, can't someone just run against him and beat him in the Democratic primary?

Also, I'd love an example of how this compares to an authoritarian country.

Edited by GoSox05

what was that about refighting previous elections?

Ooooh here he comes to the aid of the Bernie wing!

I'm not sure how you think talking about a 2018 election and its ramifications on the 2020 election is relitigating past elections. 🤔

4 minutes ago, Reddy said:

You're upset that a Democrat isn't getting a nomination against Bernie to draw enough votes from him to make him vulnerable to a Republican? So what you're saying is you don't really care as much about those majorities as you claim to if it'll screw Bernie over and you don't like when the major parties' tactics are done back to them?

So, can't someone just run against him and beat him in the Democratic primary?

No.

Bud, what's your explanation for why Bernie would do this if not to protect himself from having a stronger Democratic challenger?

You're upset that a Democrat isn't getting a nomination against Bernie to draw enough votes from him to make him vulnerable to a Republican? So what you're saying is you don't really care as much about those majorities as you claim to if it'll screw Bernie over and you don't like when the major parties' tactics are done back to them?

And you're saying you're fine with those tactics as long as they support your guy - is that it?

1 minute ago, Reddy said:

Ooooh here he comes to the aid of the Bernie wing!

I'm not sure how you think talking about a 2018 election and its ramifications on the 2020 election is relitigating past elections. 🤔

The hypocrisy is amazing.

The hypocrisy is amazing.

Explain. I'm genuinely curious why talking about a candidate for office in the next two cycles is relitigating the past. Make an argument.

1 hour ago, GoSox05 said:

Peoples fascination with Sanders being being a Democrat or not is mind boggling.   Who cares.

at the same time, why go through that dumb game he's playing to run as an ~independent~? some of that shit he brings on himself with stupid stunts like this.

5 minutes ago, Reddy said:

And you're saying you're fine with those tactics as long as they support your guy - is that it?

This was quite literally the defense of the DNC you have given us on multiple different occasions.  But as long as it is against the other guy...

Just now, StrangeSox said:

at the same time, why go through that dumb game he's playing to run as an ~independent~? some of that shit he brings on himself with stupid stunts like this.

I don't know why he remains an independent.  I forget he is most of the time.  Angus King does the same thing, it's a Northeast thing I think.

46 minutes ago, Reddy said:

You've lost any credibility you had to criticize Dems/Trump/GOP/anyone for interfering with the democratic process.

From a friend:

2002:

2006:

2012:

"Oh? I lost? Yeah, I'm not a Democrat." 

2018:

Bernie Supporters: BERNIE IS SO AUTHENTIC *orgasm*

who gives a crap if he's ~authentic~ I voted for him in 2016 because he had demonstrably better policies than Clinton's garbage centrism