Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

2018 Democrats thread

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Woudn’t we have said the same thing about his Republican primary opponents in 2016?

Combating a sitting president like Trump is something the Dems (and no American political party) has ever fully contemplated...someone who has no moral/ethical compass, who panders to his own base and deliberately tries to divide the country (Nixon is the closest modern example, but even that doesn’t stand up to close scrutiny)...who constantly changes positions and who sucks up all the airtime because he draws ratings and makes the media immense profits.

Right now, Biden’s the only one capable of beating him.   None of the early Dem favorites like Gillibrand, Booker, Harris, etc., have yet been able to emerge was as the obvious “hot” choice like Obama already was in 2005/06 (dating back to his Dem.Convention speech).  You can identify as many followers for Kennedy as for Garcetti or even the Mayor of South Bend, Indiana.   Plus this current fracture between the progressives/pragmatists, and uncertainty over what Sanders/Warren will do, and who is the “heir apparent” to take up their cause of the younger generation.

Odds are the country will go into a recession (based on 2-3 economic cycles of QE/easy money) due to inflation fears and interest rate rises, higher gas prices, slightly higher wages and then the overhang of numerous Americans paying significantly more for their health care insurance (and Trump’s complete failure to fix it as promised).   Who knows where immigration and gun control are as issues at that point...but I’d still say the odds rest with the Dem’s over Trump winning another election, if for no other reason than so many Hispanic and African-American voters will be motivated to get out to the polls this time out...and so many older Americans are afraid to lose their SS/Medicare/Medicaid due to the GOP Congress.  Finally, the fact that Trump’s been relatively lucky so far with his foreign policy blunders not blowing up the world (YET).

Only the Democrats can have a viable candidate (last election) in Bernie and not let the voting process play out and get him in as the candidate over a controversial Hillary. If the party would have ridden Bernie-mania it would have won. Cause the media would ultimately have shrugged and said, "Damnit we wanted Hillary to fulfill her coronation, but If Bernie has to be the candidate then Bernie it is." They'd have backed him heavily as they did Hillary. We don't need to re-visit the problems of Hillary as a candidate, but we do need to push Bernie cause he is a.) a name. b.) beloved by the youth. c.) willing to get us free stuff unlike the bastards whose only goal seems to force homelessness on the poor and middle class. Nobody cares bout us actively besides Bernie.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Only the Democrats can have a viable candidate (last election) in Bernie and not let the voting process play out and get him in as the candidate over a controversial Hillary. If the party would have ridden Bernie-mania it would have won. Cause the media would ultimately have shrugged and said, "Damnit we wanted Hillary to fulfill her coronation, but If Bernie has to be the candidate then Bernie it is." They'd have backed him heavily as they did Hillary. We don't need to re-visit the problems of Hillary as a candidate, but we do need to push Bernie cause he is a.) a name. b.) beloved by the youth. c.) willing to get us free stuff unlike the bastards whose only goal seems to force homelessness on the poor and middle class. Nobody cares bout us actively besides Bernie.

Lord. 

15 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Reddy, just don’t act like this in Iowa, lol...I grew up in the Quad Cities and spent the first 22 years of my life in that state...identity politics simply don’t work there (not unlike GA or rural Western PA).

Just follow everything Cheri Bustos has done and said on the other side of the Mississippi.   Or the South Bend mayor, if an openly gay man can win elections in rural Indiana, he’s doing SOMETHING correctly, yes?

Fwiw, the (old) district I lived in had one of the most popular (and centrist or left-leaning) Republican representatives in Jim Leach that you could ever find in the Heartland.   But remember it’s the state of Grassley, Branstad, Steve King and one of the toughest proposed abortion laws in the country...and one of the biggest states for born-again/evangelical Christians, especially for that region of the country.

Lol. I have a degree in this stuff but thanks for the advice. I already said campaigning is vastly different than internet arguments. Tell me more about how I should approach people in my home state. 

1 hour ago, Reddy said:

Already used up my ten free articles this month, lol...

Behind the scenes, (Stephen) Miller is believed to be an important voice in those hardline immigration policies. In an interview with Breitbart published Thursday, Miller said: “The big fight this summer is going to be with the open borders Democratic caucus in Congress.”

Edited by caulfield12

6 hours ago, Reddy said:

Lol. I have a degree in this stuff but thanks for the advice. I already said campaigning is vastly different than internet arguments. Tell me more about how I should approach people in my home state. 

A whole lot of people with degrees decided not to campaign in Wisconsin or Michigan a few years ago.  If I were you I'd be hesitant to throw my lot in with them.  They've become experts in failure.  They prefer candidates who are careerists rather than progressives.  And that's what keeps causing the party to lose.  No, they'd prefer incrementalism to moral courage.  Instead, anyone with an ounce of moral courage is cast off as an idealist and naive.  Politics isn't for the careerists, it's a means of change and emancipation.  And the people you're celebrating Reddy, aren't for any of that.  For them, politics is to be done by the professional, by the "educated" and by seniority.   Give me the Cynthia Nixons any day of the week.  Andrew Cuomo's just the son of a better politican anyway.  

A whole lot of people with degrees decided not to campaign in Wisconsin or Michigan a few years ago.  If I were you I'd be hesitant to throw my lot in with them.  They've become experts in failure.  They prefer candidates who are careerists rather than progressives.  And that's what keeps causing the party to lose.  No, they'd prefer incrementalism to moral courage.  Instead, anyone with an ounce of moral courage is cast off as an idealist and naive.  Politics isn't for the careerists, it's a means of change and emancipation.  And the people you're celebrating Reddy, aren't for any of that.  For them, politics is to be done by the professional, by the "educated" and by seniority.   Give me the Cynthia Nixons any day of the week.  Andrew Cuomo's just the son of a better politican anyway.  

The thing no one ever remembers is that you need incrementalism AND moral courage TOGETHER to actually create real progress. Read Tipping Points. 

Also, how many times do I have to say I don't like Cuomo for y'all to actually believe me? Lol

Y'all would like to have a professional lawyer representing you in court right? A professional plumber fix your pipes? etc?

37 minutes ago, Reddy said:

Y'all would like to have a professional lawyer representing you in court right? A professional plumber fix your pipes? etc?

Trump is closer to Joe the Plumber in mentality...

Fwiw, Cuomo’s dad one of the four best Dem orators since JFK, along w Jesse Jackson, Clinton and Obama.