2018 Democrats thread

southsider2k5

I can't make heads or tails of this IL Gov Dem primary.

i am not going to vote for JB Pritzker. Policies or not, I just can't flatter someone who is just a rich kid that liked using it to hang out with powerful people, then gets confused and thinks that he's done something with his life and is important. The pritzkers do a lot of good for Illinois, illinois gives a s*** ton of preferences to pritzker business, they already run things they don't need to run things.

So Biss. But I hate Mike Madigan, and the dropping of his Lt Gov showed such obvious political grandstanding from both sides.

So Kennedy, haha no not Kennedy.

s***. So Biss. effing Illinois.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:03 AM)

i am not going to vote for JB Pritzker. Policies or not, I just can't flatter someone who is just a rich kid that liked using it to hang out with powerful people, then gets confused and thinks that he's done something with his life and is important. The pritzkers do a lot of good for Illinois, illinois gives a s*** ton of preferences to pritzker business, they already run things they don't need to run things.

So Biss. But I hate Mike Madigan, and the dropping of his Lt Gov showed such obvious political grandstanding from both sides.

This is also where I'm at and I really don't get the appeal of Kennedy to anyone. If you just listen to his commercials, he sounds like one of Michael Scott's videos from The Office. Just empty nonsensical rhetoric. Plus his weird anti-pot stance.

We're going to get our choice of billionaires though. :(

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:21 AM)
Yeah I haven't seen polling but I figured JB with wrapping up every single endorsement was clear lead.

I've been following it about once a week or so over on Capitol Fax, probably the best Illinois political news site/feed (it even makes an appearance in one of Pritzker's ads as a chrome bookmark!). JB's running ahead but not substantially. Kennedy and Biss are in second place or third place, flipping depending on the specific polls. All three are beating Rauner handily, at least based on current polls. This was the latest from PPP, showing JB at 31%, Kennedy at 25% and Biss at 22%.

I don't know how much it'll really hurt him, but Madigan's now had two aides have to resign after sexual misconduct/harassment allegations. That dinosaur needs to go and we need to amend or rewrite big chunks of our state constitution.

This Legionnaires' disease thing at the veterans home keeps dogging Rauner, who only seems to be able to shout "buh buh buh Madigan!" One of his guests at the State of the State speech even came down with it last week.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:03 AM)

The campaign commercials during Wheel of Fortune every night are painful. Since I cut the cord I can't DVR and skip them anymore, I have to like ear muffs my kids during them.

To me, only Ives are painful. Even Rauner's are fine. I mean, that Blagojevich audio kinda writes itself.

Surprised Biss is 3rd. I'm not that surprised Kennedy has a following. Aside from name, his whole thing is being untethered from the democratic machine. It's a good play, he's just a curmudgeon with no real action beyond that.

QUOTE (Quin @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:33 AM)
Mittens is already folding.

Mitt has to do this. He needs Trump supporters to turn out. I don't think he'll be some moderate champion fighting Trump at every turn in the Senate, but pretty much no matter what he's an upgrade over Hatch.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:58 AM)
There's a couple of big cases pending before SCOTUS right now on Wisconsin and Maryland that could have significant national impacts depending on how they're decided. The PA case was based on the state's constitution rather than federal law, so it won't apply outside of PA.

Mitt, despite making a bunch of anti-Trump noise in 2016 and some last year, has already accepted Trump's endorsement.

The GOP should be desperately hoping the courts rule against partisan gerrymandering, since elections are going to look brutal for them over the next two years heading into the 2020 census and redistricting.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:50 AM)
Mitt has to do this. He needs Trump supporters to turn out. I don't think he'll be some moderate champion fighting Trump at every turn in the Senate, but pretty much no matter what he's an upgrade over Hatch.

Mitt is Mormom aristocracy in a blood red state. He didn't have to immediately bend the knee to Trump, but he eagerly took the endorsement, just like he did in 2012 when Trump was regularly peddling birther nonsense.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 10:52 AM)
Mitt is Mormom aristocracy in a blood red state. He didn't have to immediately bend the knee to Trump, but he eagerly took the endorsement, just like he did in 2012 when Trump was regularly peddling birther nonsense.

You're reading it as an angry liberal, not as someone who has to win a hell of a lot of Republican votes. Trump put him in a corner, and this was the only thing he could do this early in his candidacy. It was the smart move, regardless of how it looks to liberals (who, guess what, Mitt isn't trying to court anyway).

He didn't have to run, or he could have run with integrity and faced losing.

Remember how many Republicans in Utah were going to vote for Evan McMullin and how many actually did? Push comes to shove those voters aligned with trump would have voted for Romney over some devil worshipping democrat.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 11:13 AM)
He didn't have to run, or he could have run with integrity and faced losing.

Remember how many Republicans in Utah were going to vote for Evan McMullin and how many actually did? Push comes to shove those voters aligned with trump would have voted for Romney over some devil worshipping democrat.

Do you people forget how politics works? Lol

GOP turnout is going to be low compared to historic norms, and compared to Dem turnout. Mitt needs to get every possible Republican vote - or at least he needs to campaign like he needs that. There's no rule that says once elected he has to be beholden to the things he's said before, and no rule that says he can't piss off liberals with his inconsistency now if it'll get him more votes.

Staaaahp applying a liberal worldview to the tactics used by Republican politicians. It's just silly.

Uh we can still criticize Mitt for being spineless while also laughing at all of the Resistance-types who praise him and similar Republicans for sometimes criticizing Trump but not actually ever doing anything meaningful.

We're also talking about Utah here. Unless Romney has some similar child-touching skeletons as Roy Moore, it's a safe seat and he doesn't have to grovel to Trump.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 11:23 AM)
Uh we can still criticize Mitt for being spineless while also laughing at all of the Resistance-types who praise him and similar Republicans for sometimes criticizing Trump but not actually ever doing anything meaningful.

We're also talking about Utah here. Unless Romney has some similar child-touching skeletons as Roy Moore, it's a safe seat and he doesn't have to grovel to Trump.

You can do whatever you want. But that doesn't change that he had no choice but to tepidly accept the endorsement from the sitting President of the United States.

No, i'd say "staaahp" the cynical worldview that elevates political motivations above all else.

Pandering to Trump doesn't make him "smart" above all else, it makes him shameless. Romney was very passionate about how Trump was not just a bad candidate, but dangerous for the United States, and protecting the United States was important for Mitt. Now, Mitt is very proud to receive Trumps endorsement, because his aspirations are more important than the country.

The framing that any move, no matter how shameless or horrible, is inherently good if it is to get votes is just so hacky. I don't care if Mitt Romney gets elected, he will be as terrible as Bob Corker or Paul Ryan or any other "respectable" Republican, he will be selfish. He will be useless.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 11:39 AM)
No, i'd say "staaahp" the cynical worldview that elevates political motivations above all else.

Pandering to Trump doesn't make him "smart" above all else, it makes him shameless. Romney was very passionate about how Trump was not just a bad candidate, but dangerous for the United States, and protecting the United States was important for Mitt. Now, Mitt is very proud to receive Trumps endorsement, because his aspirations are more important than the country.

The framing that any move, no matter how shameless or horrible, is inherently good if it is to get votes is just so hacky. I don't care if Mitt Romney gets elected, he will be as terrible as Bob Corker or Paul Ryan or any other "respectable" Republican, he will be selfish. He will be useless.

You're missing the point.

Shameless to *YOU* is exactly the thing that scores him points with the base he needs to turn out in November.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 11:54 AM)
You are missing the point that I have no idea why that is interesting or that I should care.

Mitt Romney is pandering to the worst excesses of base voters? Couldn't have guessed.

Guess I've just got more important things to be pissed off about right now. :huh

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 12:36 PM)
Yet you're spending time arguing on a message board...

For the first time in about three months, during breaks while doing donor research for the campaign I'm working on. ;)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 02:05 PM)
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Mitt Romney, who was one of the dumbest and worst candidates in the history of Republican politics, is now pushing me on tax returns. Dope!

6:34 AM - Feb 25, 2016

Now an endorsement. Will Mitt ask him to release his tax returns again?

Not likely.