2018 Democrats thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 04:51 PM)
And yet that?€s the prism eveything is looked at today...especially if these tariffs are imposed by China.

They?€re specifically targeting his base (including EU)...Harley-Davidson WI, bourbon whiskey (TN/KY), farming/agriculture (numerous states, especially Heartland and Rust Belt.)

Do you think he would still go after Amazon if Washington (state) had voted for him...? Or Howard Schultz from Starbucks didn?€t criticize Trump at every opportunity?

Heck, the GOP seems to be actively courting a ?€œculture war?€? with WA, OR, CA and Hawaii. Hollywood. Liberals. Elites. Silicon Valley minus Peter Thiel (of course, tax policy runs counter.) Net neutrality. Sanctuary cities.

Yes, because he is mad at Bezos over the Washington Post, not losing the Washington state vote

the purple monkey dishwasher doesnt help though

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 04:51 PM)
Hollywood. Liberals. Elites. Silicon Valley minus Peter Thiel (of course, tax policy runs counter.) Net neutrality. Sanctuary cities.

rock and roller cola wars I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 08:08 AM)
Yes, because he is mad at Bezos over the Washington Post, not losing the Washington state vote

the purple monkey dishwasher doesnt help though

But he and the deplorables resent that West Coast elitism...that they know more about the environment, care more about illegal immigrants than real white Americans in the Heartland, Appalachia, Deep South, Rust Belt...heck, Schultz from Starbucks is always going after Trump.

Bernie goes down to Mississippi for a photo op with Civil Rights Leaders, and during his remarks drags Obama (the first black President if you remember) as a "charismatic leader" but a failure.

Oh, Bernie.

Whether you like him or not, he's going to make Dems' chances of winning in 2020 very, very difficult if he runs.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:45 AM)
Bernie goes down to Mississippi for a photo op with Civil Rights Leaders, and during his remarks drags Obama (the first black President if you remember) as a "charismatic leader" but a failure.

Oh, Bernie.

Whether you like him or not, he's going to make Dems' chances of winning in 2020 very, very difficult if he runs.

Biden or Tim Kaine aren?€t much better for dealing with all the coming technological changes to the world in innovative and insightful ways...really need young blood, 40?€s or early 50?€s.

I wish the South Bend mayor had a real opportunity to break out.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/201...-feature-217001

Or Garcetti, LA Mayor...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/phil-bredesen-de...-090011825.html

We’re going to see a lot more campaigns like Bredesen and Conor Lamb’s...

At the time (2008), Bredesen reached out to lawmakers in Washington from both parties as they looked for answers. “I thought there was nobody in that town who had any idea what it was like for these people lying in bed at night and just seeing all these things that they had hoped for, for themselves, for their families, just sort of disappearing because of some crazy Wall Street banker somewhere,” he said.

Nobody, Bredesen said, seemed to truly grasp “the fear and frustration” felt by working-class Americans who have never fully recovered even as much of the rest of the nation has rebounded back. He has been particularly critical of his own party, describing Democrats as “tone-deaf” to voters in small-town America, who tend to be more culturally conservative and who turned out for Trump in droves.

“The Democrats, nationally, have done a great job of alienating a lot of voters with this kind of holier-than-thou superiority about a certain type of voter,” Bredesen said. “What was Hillary [Clinton]’s term? Oh yes, deplorables.”

Long before the era of Trump, Bredesen had been sounding the alarm for Democrats on the party’s messaging. In the summer of 2007, he appeared before the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC), a group of party centrists who had gained influence during Bill Clinton’s presidency, where he said Dems desperately needed to find a way to reconnect with rural and blue-collar workers, especially in the South.

“If you asked me what the Republicans stand for, I could tell you in about 25 words: a traditional view of family, a central role for faith, low taxes, an assertive and combative view of American interests abroad,” Bredesen said at the time. He went on: “I challenge you to describe what the Democratic Party stands for in 25 words. You can’t do it. We’re just defining ourselves by what we’re not. We’re just criticizing the failure of others.”

“I don’t like the way this country and the way the media in this country has made everything about that person,” Bredesen said in an interview, referring to the president. “I think of Donald Trump more as a symptom than a first cause. And I think that symptom is that we as a party, … [and] a lot of Republicans too, have been tone-deaf to a lot of people who have been affected by globalization and technology and have got real concerns.”

Bredesen frequently mentions the “Walmart test” he has applied throughout his own career and has encouraged others in his party to adopt. In it, he imagines how a voter in Walmart might react if he tried to sell them on a policy. “I just imagine myself stopping a couple in the aisle of a Walmart in Winchester, Tenn., or someplace like that, and explaining to them what I was trying to do, and why and so on,” he explained. “If I could see them nodding their heads, they don’t need to agree or disagree, but if they were saying they could at least understand what I was trying to do, I felt like maybe I was on the right track.”

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 09:53 AM)
Biden or Tim Kaine aren’t much better for dealing with all the coming technological changes to the world in innovative and insightful ways...really need young blood, 40’s or early 50’s.

I wish the South Bend mayor had a real opportunity to break out.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/201...-feature-217001

Or Garcetti, LA Mayor...

He does not, unfortunately. Mayors have a pretty damn difficult path ahead of them. I also just don't think Buttigieg's got the X factor needed to take on Trump. And just think of Trump's nickname for him :P

Kaine is not a real contender.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 08:45 AM)

Oh, Bernie.

@briebriejoy

From the audience, I watched the crowd of a 85% black city give Bernie Sanders a standing ovation both before & after his remarks. The crowd responded positively to Sander's point that the Democratic party has failed to retain seats - even w/ a leader as charismatic as Obama.

Clinton super fans anger towards Bernie Sanders is embarrassing.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 12:12 PM)
Clinton super fans anger towards Bernie Sanders is embarrassing.

The fact that you still think this has anything to do with Clinton is embarrassing. Welcome to the present, we're running a real nation.

The only people who continue to re-litigate 2016 are Berners. I'm trying to do what's best for the party moving forward, and Bernie alienates black people on such a regular basis. He just has no idea how to handle any issue that isn't medicare for all or agreeing with Trump on his attacks on American companies and trade wars.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 11:43 AM)
The fact that you still think this has anything to do with Clinton is embarrassing. Welcome to the present, we're running a real nation.

The only people who continue to re-litigate 2016 are Berners. I'm trying to do what's best for the party moving forward, and Bernie alienates black people on such a regular basis. He just has no idea how to handle any issue that isn't medicare for all or agreeing with Trump on his attacks on American companies and trade wars.

Moving forward by refighting the 2016 primaries.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 12:59 PM)
Yes Reddy, he is so clueless. No idea why he has the most favorable opinion ratings of any politician in this country. SMH

Sqwert you're smarter than that. You know that polls are a snapshot of a moment and a particular context and don't mean anything in a different moment and a different context, yes?

I've had this argument more times than I can count. Google Hillary's popularity ratings in 2014 when she left her post as Sec of State. I'll wait.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 01:19 PM)
Moving forward by refighting the 2016 primaries.

Bernie is likely running in 2020. Talking about him and what he's doing NOW, and the risk I think he poses to Democrats moving forward is not refighting 2016 anything.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 11:43 AM)

It’s time to end the myth that black voters don’t like Bernie Sanders

Indeed, Pew polling found this year that 85 percent of blacks and 84 percent of Hispanics support single-payer health care

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 12:22 PM)
Bernie is likely running in 2020. Talking about him and what he's doing NOW, and the risk I think he poses to Democrats moving forward is not refighting 2016 anything.

Then the opposite is true as well, and you really can't get pissy with people who like him.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 10:21 AM)
Sqwert you're smarter than that. You know that polls are a snapshot of a moment and a particular context and don't mean anything in a different moment and a different context, yes?

If by snapshot you mean the last 3 years straight then I guess you're right.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 08:45 AM)

Oh, Bernie.

He was both of those things objectively (a charismatic leader and a failure, at least in terms of delivering on the issues he campaigned on). He ran on a campaign of hope and change, promising to make things better and fairer for the working class and the middle class. He talked a big game about those issues through both of his presidential terms as well. However, the policies he ended up carrying out and signing into law did nothing to increase fairness or decrease the income and wealth gap, instead exacerbating both of those issues. You can blame that on Republican obstructionism if you'd like, but I'd counter that that is a failure of the Democratic party to give their sitting president the support he needed to enact the policies he promised. Either way, by the objective measure of income and wealth inequality, Obama did fail to deliver on his promise. He essentially campaigned as a progressive and governed as a neoliberal.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 12:22 PM)

Exactly. Black voters didn't like Bernie because of the Clinton campaign's "Bernie Bro" propaganda. If you'd presented the policy positions of two nameless candidates to any Democratic voter, they'd've chosen Bernie every time. That's why the Democratic Party platform so heavily reflected his campaign platform.

If the economy goes into a predicted recession and health care is more of a priority issue than foreign policy...Sanders definitely has a decent shot.

So many things will change in the next 27 months or so.

Of course, if 1/4th of the primaries are Bernie Bros and they feel shafted again...well, they’re not going to risk sitting out another presidential election, regardless if the candidate is Trump, Pence or Ryan.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 03:14 PM)
If the economy goes into a predicted recession and health care is more of a priority issue than foreign policy...Sanders definitely has a decent shot.

So many things will change in the next 27 months or so.

Of course, if 1/4th of the primaries are Bernie Bros and they feel shafted again...well, they’re not going to risk sitting out another presidential election, regardless if the candidate is Trump, Pence or Ryan.

I honestly think you give them far too much credit.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 01:45 AM)
Maybe he'd have an easier time of it if the Democratic apparatus would stop trying to convince black voters of this and instead focus on his excellent track record regarding civil rights issues.

Beyond paying those issues lip-service, and only when confronted about them, what has he actually done? And what is he GOING to do? (I'm guessing you didn't read the article, as this is all addressed)

Here's another, an op-ed from a person of color: Bernie Sanders' History Of Civil Rights Activism Is No Excuse For Him To Slack On Fighting Racism Now

And another thing: the DNC is not responsible for the words that come out of Bernie's mouth... You can use them as an all-encompassing boogeyman if you want, but it starts making you sound rather Trumpian when you always blame someone or something else for your mistakes.

Except in the end...tearing down fellow like-minded politicians will help how?

Remember your talking about The Better Deal last year? Nobody even remembers what was in it anymore...the best you’d get would be something about FDR or LBJ, and that’s if you polled 1000 registered Dems, let alone independents.