2018 Republicans thread

southsider2k5

42 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

Haven't read the opinion yet either, but based on the article linked in the Democrat thread (https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/27/supreme-court-rules-in-janus-labor-union-case.html), the Court said that avoiding "free riders" is not a compelling interest.

To the extent that a public sector union cannot require the people that it serves to pay dues, this opinion will have a significant impact on the viability of public sector unions.  Because this is the Republican thread, I will not comment further here...

Edit: Just read the opinion.  The Court clearly states that the Union is still the representative of everyone, regardless of whether they pay dues or not.  "t is questionable whether the Constitution would permit a public sector employer to adopt a collective-bargaining agreement that discriminates against nonmembers." 

If that's true then this is a horrible ruling. And I'm not sure how anyone could economically justify that non members get benefit but don't have to pay cost.

Figured that this ruling was somewhat based in actual freedoms, not just thinly veiled attempt to undermine unions.

I was wrong. 

15 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

If that's true then this is a horrible ruling. And I'm not sure how anyone could economically justify that non members get benefit but don't have to pay cost.

Figured that this ruling was somewhat based in actual freedoms, not just thinly veiled attempt to undermine unions.

I was wrong. 

:lolhitting 

So Russia did hack the election? Is this the start of Trump impeachment? Now that it's fact he should be impeached or resign immediately. This is appalling by the way. We should immediately enter into a cold war if not a real war with Russia over this. Someday they'll hack our nuclear weapons and turn them on our big cities and take over the USA that way.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rebuke-trump-key-senate-panel-endorses-finding-russia-attacked-2016-election-210143332.html

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Uh, oh.

Why?  This is about Nelson Mandela and apartheid...the quotes aren’t even accurate or are completely taken out of context.

He’s talking about African leaders in South Africa not automatically discounting the opinions of whites (the huge minority in that country.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not a platinum member so I don't quite have access, but some things of note - their sample size is 1500, so if you take the 13% of Americans that are African american you would guess they polled about 200. That's a low sample right there, but their methodology also says they're polling likely voters, which is going to exclude people who are too young to vote and those who have been excluded by voter ID bills and so on who are now unlikely to vote, so the sample size of actual african american voters is probably less than 100 people in that survey. At that size, a well done survey would have a margin of error of more than 10%. If the survey isn't swinging by 20% up and down amongst a population that small in a tracking poll over time, then that means it is being done wrong.

Since only one person seemed to care about data, there is this.

Survey Monkey has the number at 21%.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jtCzw4iHsdDqcyGzE5wKf12PHSPDQV-8/view

YouGov at 19% of either favorable or very favorable.

Quinipiac actually had the number at 9%

Seeing as he had a 8% vote rate in the election from blacks, I can see the Democratic party is doing another bang up job winning hearts and minds with an actual racist in the white house.  They really are going to screw up what should be the easiest electoral wins in history, aren't they.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Since only one person seemed to care about data, there is this.

Survey Monkey has the number at 21%.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jtCzw4iHsdDqcyGzE5wKf12PHSPDQV-8/view

YouGov at 19% of either favorable or very favorable.

Quinipiac actually had the number at 9%

Seeing as he had a 8% vote rate in the election from blacks, I can see the Democratic party is doing another bang up job winning hearts and minds with an actual racist in the white house.  They really are going to screw up what should be the easiest electoral wins in history, aren't they.

If Trump could have sustained the boom economy (we’ll throw out the fact that wages still aren’t rising for the middle class) for one more year, he would have had a great shot.  As it stands now, it should dissipate around the end of next year.  

Suburban women and Millennials will be even more telling than African American turnout.

I really think at some point that a group of Republicans will eventually sell out Trump in impeachment in a deal to make Pence President,  especially if the Dems can take at least on chamber. Then they will spend the rest of his term blaming everything bad on Trump to try to get Pence reelected 

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I really think at some point that a group of Republicans will eventually sell out Trump in impeachment in a deal to make Pence President,  especially if the Dems can take at least on chamber. Then they will spend the rest of his term blaming everything bad on Trump to try to get Pence reelected 

This has always been the long game

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wouldn't an impeachment be a disaster for the party?  Sure you get rid of Trump, but what happens after.

Pence is president for maybe a year and half and then he would get crushed in a general election.  He just dosen't bring out the anger in people like Trump does.  So would Republicans primary him?

15 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

Wouldn't an impeachment be a disaster for the party?  Sure you get rid of Trump, but what happens after.

Pence is president for maybe a year and half and then he would get crushed in a general election.  He just dosen't bring out the anger in people like Trump does.  So would Republicans primary him?

Pence would have a much better chance of winning than Trump. When things go back to "normal" the spin will be that HE was the one who returned decency and decorum to Washington and the GOP will message that brilliantly.

Though I'm more and more wondering if Pence may actually go down with this ship - something I'd never given serious thought to before this past week.

On 8/24/2018 at 8:02 AM, GoSox05 said:

We could also see a backroom deal where Pence pardon's him to take the heat off.

13 hours ago, Reddy said:

Pence would have a much better chance of winning than Trump. When things go back to "normal" the spin will be that HE was the one who returned decency and decorum to Washington and the GOP will message that brilliantly.

Though I'm more and more wondering if Pence may actually go down with this ship - something I'd never given serious thought to before this past week.

This is definitely in play.  You can’t play naive here, he has been caught in multiple lies already regarding Flynn and Carter Page, pretty sure him and Manafort were working hand in hand also.  There is a lot of scrutiny here 

28 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

This is definitely in play.  You can’t play naive here, he has been caught in multiple lies already regarding Flynn and Carter Page, pretty sure him and Manafort were working hand in hand also.  There is a lot of scrutiny here 

Watch Dems win the House and have Nancy Pelosi become President. Talk about making the GOPs brains explode. 😂