2018 Republicans thread

southsider2k5

Heard today on radio that picture making the rounds is doctored/photo shopped. Is that true? The one with the little girl crying and Trump staring down at her? Fake apparently. This is a crazy time, folks. Nobody knows what's real and what's agenda driven.

OF COURSE IT'S FAKE IT'S A FUCKING MAGAZINE COVER ON A RED BACKGROUND

good god.

3 hours ago, Reddy said:

This is literally batshit insane. I can't.

Hmmm so Newt Gingrich and Sarah Sanders are appalled at the magazine. So this entire article was written about the issue, but you guys act like it's nothing. I don't like doctored covers to make some point. What do you say to this article greg-haters? Geez some of you have no patience and refuse to discuss topics without simple one liners!      https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/6/22/17494688/time-magazine-cover-crying-girl-photo-controversy-family-separation

Hmmm Vox writes

But when I saw Time’s cover on Thursday morning — and what I can only describe as the misuse of Moore’s original image — my immediate reaction was rage. As a photojournalist, a visuals editor, and an immigrant, I didn’t see it as a powerful statement on President Trump’s attitude toward the family separation crisis or the policies that have ripped more than 2,000 vulnerable children from their parents.

I see it as an insensitive and exploitative play to sell magazines — and one that, albeit unintentionally, offers up this personal tragedy to be memed and ridiculed.

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/21/17488680/time-magazine-cover-family-separation-border-trump-john-moore

My take continues: I don't like fake covers like that. I feel like the above is very deceptive and I can see why people scream, "Fake News" when they see fabrications like this. It should at least explain it's a depiction.

Edited by greg775

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

There needs to be an investigation at least. From what I heard the photographer was making the media rounds talking about shooting the photo. And she was not even separated from parents.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/time-magazine-corrects-cover-story-crying-migrant-girl-175703772.html

Investigation?

OK, what "crime" might have been committed by Time?

The fvcking drudge report, fox news, and all manner of right-wing turd piles post all sorts of BS, every single day. They lie instinctually, and because you got butt-hurt about trump [RIGHTLY] being called out about hurting kids, you want an "Investigation?"

Here's a better question for you, as a so-called "Christian:" Is/was it a good thing for this president to subject children to their separation from their parents, yes or no? Check with the pope, and then get back to us.

[..fvcking "investigation"...] What FVKCING CRIME would they "investigate?"

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Investigation?

OK, what "crime" might have been committed by Time?

The fvcking drudge report, fox news, and all manner of right-wing turd piles post all sorts of BS, every single day. They lie instinctually, and because you got butt-hurt about trump [RIGHTLY] being called out about hurting kids, you want an "Investigation?"

Here's a better question for you, as a so-called "Christian:" Is/was it a good thing for this president to subject children to their separation from their parents, yes or no? Check with the pope, and then get back to us.

[..fvcking "investigation"...] What FVKCING CRIME would they "investigate?"

Did you read the articles? Time apologized. The girl walked off with her mother, not agents. And the investigation is if the photographer knew that? I'm against separating kids from their parents. But I think Time deserves a lot of backlash from this, starting with the fake cover and the initial fake news. The girl wasn't separated from her mother. I think Time can do better than this.

54 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Did you read the articles? Time apologized. The girl walked off with her mother, not agents. And the investigation is if the photographer knew that? I'm against separating kids from their parents. But I think Time deserves a lot of backlash from this, starting with the fake cover and the initial fake news. The girl wasn't separated from her mother.

Reading the cover, and I gotta admit, I don't see anywhere it states that the child was separated from her parents. Do you see such a caption, yes or no?

Time. Didn't. Say. She. Was. Separated. Holy. Fuck.

Yes, Time magazine deserves blowback, but Trump's policy to indefinitely detain families in concentration camps is cool beans by greg. Jesus.

2 hours ago, Reddy said:

Time. Didn't. Say. She. Was. Separated. Holy. Fuck.

Yes, Time magazine deserves blowback, but Trump's policy to indefinitely detain families in concentration camps is cool beans by greg. Jesus.

Are you crazy tonight? If they didn't why did they print THIS apology?? Geez.      Time also has added a correction to an online article and gallery that ran Tuesday, before the cover was released: “The original version of this story misstated what happened to the girl in the photo after she [was] taken from the scene. The girl was not carried away screaming by U.S. Border Patrol agents; her mother picked her up and the two were taken away together.”

On 6/23/2018 at 6:05 PM, greg775 said:

Are you crazy tonight? If they didn't why did they print THIS apology?? Geez.      Time also has added a correction to an online article and gallery that ran Tuesday, before the cover was released: “The original version of this story misstated what happened to the girl in the photo after she [was] taken from the scene. The girl was not carried away screaming by U.S. Border Patrol agents; her mother picked her up and the two were taken away together.”

Ok. So you're saying a reputable publication found an error, and honestly recanted and apologized, right? That's what they SHOULD do, right? So why doesn't Trump have to do the same thing when he lies EVERY SINGLE DAY?

ONE mistake by the media, and an honest apology, and greg goes apoplectic. But dozens of lies every single day by this administration are ok because they DON'T apologize. Look at what you're rewarding. That's really awful. You're rewarding deceit and dishonesty and condemning responsible journalism and integrity.

2 hours ago, Reddy said:

Ok. So you're saying a reputable publication found an error, and honestly recanted and apologized, right? That's what they SHOULD do, right? So why doesn't Trump have to do the same thing when he lies EVERY SINGLE DAY?

ONE mistake by the media, and an honest apology, and greg goes apoplectic. But dozens of lies every single day by this administration are ok because they DON'T apologize. Look at what you're rewarding. That's really awful. You're rewarding deceit and dishonesty and condemning responsible journalism and integrity.

I think you are trying to bait me or something. I said I don't like Trump. How many times do I have to say it? He's everything I despise. Rich guy with a big ego (that goes without saying with most rich guys who have yes men surrounding them). As far as the magazine, the photographer was going on media shows bragging about his photo and what it represented. And it was all a fib. I personally think anytime you doctor a photo it's risky and walking a slippery slope. I've been reading we are headed for a Civil War. Now certain restaurants aren't going to serve people on the other side. Crazy times. So much hate until a hurricane hits. Then we all bond together and help each other. This country is bizarre. Utter hatred of each other til a national disaster hits then people helping people.

Greg, think of the little boy washed up on the beach in the Mediterranean or the boy with the bloody face in the ambulance after another bombing in Syria.   Nobody remembers the exact circumstances, just the reactions/emotions those mages provoke.

What kind of country are we, exactly...when we’re more concerned with playing gotcha over a picture than being a shining light on a hill for other nations to emulate?  Whatever the truth, perception is always 90% of the reality, whether we like it or not.   Do you think Jesus would join the border patrol or look to minister to the needs of those who are sick/suffering/seeking refuge/alone in the world?

Remember “Mission Accomplished!” And You’re Doing a Great Job, Brownie! for GW Bush?  Now the early 2017 immigration-Muslim visa ban and current child separation scandal will end up as defining moments of the Trump presidency.  

At any rate, we’ve surrendered our moral high ground.  Can we honestly claim to be leading the world in any area (other than technology/innovation)?   

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Greg, think of the little boy washed up on the beach in the Mediterranean or the boy with the bloody face in the ambulance after another bombing in Syria.   Nobody remembers the exact circumstances, just the reactions/emotions those mages provoke.

What kind of country are we, exactly...when we’re more concerned with playing gotcha over a picture than being a shining light on a hill for other nations to emulate?  Whatever the truth, perception is always 90% of the reality, whether we like it or not.   Do you think Jesus would join the border patrol or look to minister to the needs of those who are sick/suffering/seeking refuge/alone in the world?

Remember “Mission Accomplished!” And You’re Doing a Great Job, Brownie! for GW Bush?  Now the early 2017 immigration-Muslim visa ban and current child separation scandal will end up as defining moments of the Trump presidency.  

At any rate, we’ve surrendered our moral high ground.  Can we honestly claim to be leading the world in any area (other than technology/innovation)?   

Well for eight years it was pretty peaceful as we had a genuinely good guy President in Obama. Unfortunately instead of getting behind his running mate during a time in which he was having personal tragedy and begging him to run, or letting Bernie beat Hillary fair and square, we were stuck with two horrific candidates and here we are. The Democrats are like the White Sox in 05. Blew a chance to stay on top a long long time. But Republicans are hated so badly by the left, we are now at where we are at. What you described in your post is what we are. Trump is so dislikeable and mean spirited and wanting the rich to hog all the wealth, again we have what we have. There's no solution except to wait it out and hope there are better candidates next time. Again, it was peaceful with Obama so to speak cause he was such a good person. The Republicans pretty much had to shut up and let Obama's eight years run out. Maybe Biden will run. He's electable. I think Bernie is electable only if the Millenials make it happen.

Edited by greg775

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

When did we ever hold the moral high ground? That's always been a myth. Have we been better than most? Yes. Are we still better than most? Yes. 

As long as the people who aren't part of the union don't get the benefit of union negotiations that could work. I haven't read full opinion but I assume that was discussed and conservative judges gave unions the go ahead to leave non union out.

IE if union negotiates pay increase non union don't get it.

13 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Agreed.  I have always hated the idea that the US government could compel people to buy a private good or service.  It was a right that has been eroded by a drip over 250 years, but it is one that is the most egregious over time.  Property rights have been just utterly destroyed in this country.

5 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

As long as the people who aren't part of the union don't get the benefit of union negotiations that could work. I haven't read full opinion but I assume that was discussed and conservative judges gave unions the go ahead to leave non union out.

I'd also have no problem with this.  Set up a two tier system for union and non-union workers.  Or even set up a system where there are the union workers on a scale, and everyone else for themselves, and let the people decide.

22 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Haven't read the opinion yet either, but based on the article linked in the Democrat thread (https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/27/supreme-court-rules-in-janus-labor-union-case.html), the Court said that avoiding "free riders" is not a compelling interest.

To the extent that a public sector union cannot require the people that it serves to pay dues, this opinion will have a significant impact on the viability of public sector unions.  Because this is the Republican thread, I will not comment further here...

Edit: Just read the opinion.  The Court clearly states that the Union is still the representative of everyone, regardless of whether they pay dues or not.  "t is questionable whether the Constitution would permit a public sector employer to adopt a collective-bargaining agreement that discriminates against nonmembers." 

Edited by illinilaw08