Fake Rumor: White Sox and Moustakas "Close" on Deal.

KnightsOnMintSt

QUOTE (pablo @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 01:24 PM)
I've seen it mentioned that if Moustakas doesn't like the market now, he might sign a 1 year 17-18M deal and try again next offseason. If that's the case, no draft pick would be forfeited right?

Still forfeit the draft pick, IIRC. There was another a couple years ago, can't remember who.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Moncada @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:45 PM)
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO

Unless it's for penny's on the dollar and I mean penny's

In the hypothetical case we had so little confidence in our IFs that we were actually interested in Moustakas, I'd prefer spending less money on a 1 year deal for Frazier to signing Moustakas. It'd still be completely backwards, but it wouldn't be as much of a 2018 offseason impediment.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 03:47 PM)
On a per game basis, his WAR the last 3 seasons is on par with Jose Abreu. He's also a year and a half younger. If Abreu signed an extension, not many people would be complaining. I don't know why they would complain about a LH 3b/!b guy with power. I wouldn't give him $20 million a year.

Jose Abreu means much more to the franchise than does a free agent from a hated rival. Moreover, much of what has kept Moustakas on par with Abreu is his defense, which declined sharply last season probably due to an injury that could possibly cause long-term effects. Might not, but it's a significant risk factor. It doesn't look like he'll get $20mm, but he'll almost certainly get $15mm.

The point is there is a lot of downside with a guy like this, and the while the cost may not be astronomical, it's still certainly significant. It's a risk you don't need to take because what he brings to the table (corner power with passable defense that might be good or bad going forward) isn't difficult to find at market rates closer to the time you need it.

Again I'm not arguing with your idea that sometimes you have to buy a guy early because that's when he's available, I just don't think Moustakas is that guy. Your Edwin Jackson example is perfectly apt, but it should be a cautionary tale, not an argument in favor. It's easy to see and defend Theo's strategy with Jackson, but that's what it looks like when you pick the wrong guy.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 04:24 PM)
Still forfeit the draft pick, IIRC. There was another a couple years ago, can't remember who.

What pick we lose depends on whether we paid into revenue sharing or received from revenue sharing. The former would mean forfeiting our 2nd highest pick and $500k in international pool. The latter would mean forfeiting our 3rd highest pick. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter how much he signs for. That only matters for the Royals.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/08/offs...ffer-rules.html

Edited by GenericUserName

1) Does anybody really think that the White Sox are going to out spend the other teams in signing Machado next year?

2) Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to sign Moustakas?.

3) Is there anybody who wouldn't want to see a 2018 White Sox infield of Moustakas, Anderson. Moncado and Abreu?

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 09:35 AM)
1) Does anybody really think that the White Sox are going to out spend the other teams in signing Machado next year?

3) Is there anybody who wouldn't want to see a 2018 White Sox infield of Moustakas, Anderson. Moncado and Abreu?

1) No

2) Yes

3) I'm not advocating signing him but if they did, I would understand why.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 11:35 AM)

1. Yes.

2. No - it isn't cheap to sign guys who aren't that good. You pay a lower overall price, but you wind up like the 2015 and 2016 white sox - expensive and crappy.

3. Yes, would much rather see Sanchez at 3b.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 09:43 AM)
1. Yes.

2. No - it isn't cheap to sign guys who aren't that good. You pay a lower overall price, but you wind up like the 2015 and 2016 white sox - expensive and crappy.

These are my answers as well.

You don’t think the sox will do any of these things because JERRY HOARDS ALL HIS MONEY RAH RAH so why even ask?

1) Tough, but I would answer yes at the moment.

2) No. Losing the draft pick is not worth what he brings to the table long term.

3) Short term it makes sense if they were trying to compete, but with the draft pick attached I'd much rather see Sanchez/Davidson play there to get more AB's.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 07:43 AM)
1. Yes.

My concern on #1 would be that we get used to move the market up to a point he deems acceptable, only to then sign with his preferred team.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 04:59 PM)
My concern on #1 would be that we get used to move the market up to a point he deems acceptable, only to then sign with his preferred team.

I agree this happens especially if those that want the Sox to suck in 2018 get their wish. The only way I see us getting Machado is if all the young guys are kicking ass this year and the team is exciting. Not necessarily winning, but hanging tough and exciting like the end of last year. Need to build on that to be an attractive destination.

Tanking is done. Time to build.