White Sox acquire Joakim Soria, Luis Avilan and $3 Million

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Them Dodgers must see something they like in Peter... they could have brought in a few teams to facilitate our role ( I imagine ).

And with that, I will part by saying:

imagine me and you, I do... so happy together

Pretty solid deal. If Soria turns into something he can be moved at the deadline. If not he will just be bought out at the end of the year.

Avilian has a ton of control and makes nothing. He had a sub 3 ERA last year and 2.96 FIP. If he follows that up he could be interesting trade target as well.

We bought ourselves a lotto ticket. It may turn into something or nothing but at the end of the day all it cost us was a cpl of bucks.

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 03:12 AM)
Soria is not "really bad".

He's so bad a city is rejoicing he's gone. I'll stop now but you guys have to calm down about Soria. He's really bad. Ask Caulfield. He has the numbers. If Coop can save him then yes you could 'maybe' flip him. But if Coop can't, I'm surprised you guys who don't seem to want to spend Jerry's money are OK with 9 million going to this guy per season.

Here's how bad he is:

"Over the last two seasons, Soria had 14 blown saves and a 3.89 ERA. He became a lightning rod for the frustrations of Royals fans, who had become accustomed to unprecedented success from a bullpen combination of Kelvin Herrera, Wade Davis and Greg Holland."

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 10:39 PM)
He's so bad a city is rejoicing he's gone. I'll stop now but you guys have to calm down about Soria. He's really bad. Ask Caulfield. He has the numbers. If Coop can save him then yes you could 'maybe' flip him. But if Coop can't, I'm surprised you guys who don't seem to want to spend Jerry's money are OK with 9 million going to this guy per season.

Here's how bad he is:

"Over the last two seasons, Soria had 14 blown saves and a 3.89 ERA. He became a lightning rod for the frustrations of Royals fans, who had become accustomed to unprecedented success from a bullpen combination of Kelvin Herrera, Wade Davis and Greg Holland."

He's only costing 6 million total with an option for next year at 10 million. Thats nothing. It's less then what would cost to take a flyer on him in FA. If he sucks the option never enters the equation

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 10:14 PM)
Greg and caufield sure care a lot about the Royals and their fanbase. Soria had great numbers last year, nothing to dislike about this trade. Sox got two solid bullpen pieces for a AAAA player.

I follow all the teams that are in the playoff races...just to keep up my interest in baseball when the Sox aren't competitive.

Just like I will still watch other Big10 basketball games even though Iowa is already eliminated from the post-season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 09:39 PM)

Somehow I knew you'd reference a middle reliever's blown saves.

Did you know that Mike Trout had 0 saves last year? The Angels should cut him! That statistic is just as relevant to Trout as blown saves are to a non-closer.

Edited by Jose Abreu

Just look at his game logs for the 2nd half of 2017.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/i...88/joakim-soria

From July 29th to August 15th, in 4 out of 7 important outings...he was terrible. Each of those were games KC had to win to stay in the division race (where Herrera was on the shelf/struggling as well).

No, he wasn't terrible for MOST of the season, his overall stats look pretty decent.

This is more of a Jake Peavy thing...where, when they really needed him to step up, he just couldn't get it done.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 12:29 AM)
Somehow I knew you'd reference a middle reliever's blown saves.

Did you know that Mike Trout had 0 saves last year? The Angels should cut him! That statistic is just as relevant to Trout as blown saves are to a non-closer.

Blown saves and ERA are probably the two worst way to judge relievers.

His peripherals were good last year. His velocity was good. He had one of the lowest zone swing of his career. He was just in large part unlucky.

Let's put it this way.

He had three clean 8th inning leads in July and August (3-2, 8-7 and 4-3) and blew all of those key games.

The most egregious example, though, was August 15th vs. the A's.

Entered the 8th with a clean 8-4 lead (not even a save situation), managed to give up 4 runs and only recorded one out. That was the killer game in their season (think Thome vs. Matt Thornton). Lost 10-8.

From July 8th through August 15th (15 outings), he had:

1 Loss (started the 9th clean with a 1-1 tie against BALT)

3 Blown Saves

1 Blown 4 run lead

5 Holds

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 12:09 AM)
whoever edited my post to add that should take a vacation. that's mean.

And what's the difference how bad he was the previous year? Albers was hors*** with us in 2016 and a god with the Nats in 17. Same with Rondon with the Cubs and alot of pitchers from one year to the next. The bottom line is we gave away a player who would ever had played never play with us for 2 potential trade pieces. Maybe we get lucky like Kanle or a maybe we get a bust like Holland. And i know for a fact Rockies fans despised Tommy Kahnle but probably wish they had him now. Either way there is no risk so its a mute point saying how bad he was last year.

Edited by SoxSteve

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 01:07 AM)
752a2-5-after-point-4.gif

We need a meme duel between you and hi8is. You guys crack me the f*** up.

Moving along. Nice trade all the way around. Hahn picked up two quality relievers + 3M for Peter. I see nothing to complain about.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 01:05 AM)
Let's put it this way.

He had three clean 8th inning leads in July and August (3-2, 8-7 and 4-3) and blew all of those key games.

The most egregious example, though, was August 15th vs. the A's.

Entered the 8th with a clean 8-4 lead (not even a save situation), managed to give up 4 runs and only recorded one out. That was the killer game in their season (think Thome vs. Matt Thornton). Lost 10-8.

From July 8th through August 15th (15 outings), he had:

1 Loss (started the 9th clean with a 1-1 tie against BALT)

3 Blown Saves

1 Blown 4 run lead

5 Holds

I'm not saying the results were good what I'm saying he pitched better then them. I'd also take issue with using a month sample size for a reliever. Hell a whole season worth of data for relievers is in most cases very small and easy to swing the results one way or another with one bad outing.

In any case he's basically signed for 1 year 6 million with the money the other teams kicked in with a 10 million dollar option. Why sweat it? It's basically Holland money. Maybe he turns into something maybe nothing. Why worry about it? 6 million on a pillow contract isn't going to prevent the sox from doing anything.

I don't see anything to complain about this trade. Soria could be a trade candidate at the deadline, and at worst they buy him out after the season. Avilan seems to be a fairly intriguing piece. A solid lefty out of the pen, which the Sox need. He'll be fairly cheap, as well. Oh, and there's the $4 million.

Hahn picked up a couple arms for the bullpen, and I think we can all agree that the bullpen needed some help. A little money was sent our way. And the Sox really didn't give up much. Nice job.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 10:39 PM)

Here's how bad he is:

Here's why it's a good pickup: despite the blown saves and high ERA, Soria posted excellent peripherals last year, which means there is reason to believe that he'll have a bounceback season and end up a trade-able piece. Given we have nothing in our bullpen and aren't trying to win anyway, it seems like a good risk to take. Might not work out, but there's very little downside.