White Sox acquire Joakim Soria, Luis Avilan and $3 Million

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 05:35 PM)
Very few people read what people type. I am constantly amused at one or two sentences of a 10 paragraph post (by me) suddenly becomes my entire post and my entire position. Probably is a good reminder to keep posts short.

We are also amused when your posts are broken down point for point and you manage to overlook that

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 10:17 AM)
Dude you have to read past the first sentence. If you're not willing to do that, there's a limited amount of information that I can convey to you.

Why would I? You had the need to put in all caps I claimed the guy sucked for no reason. i am not the first to stop reading a post when it starts out as ridiculous as that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 07:14 PM)
Why would I? You had the need to put in all caps I claimed the guy sucked for no reason. i am not the first to stop reading a post when it starts out as ridiculous as that.

That makes a lot of sense, actually. I used to think you were playing dumb on purpose to get a rise out of me, but now I know you just aren't even bothering to consider what I'm saying.

Finding a way to be insulted by someone who is trying to concede credit to you is a weird way to go through life, though.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 12:08 AM)
That makes a lot of sense, actually. I used to think you were playing dumb on purpose to get a rise out of me, but now I know you just aren't even bothering to consider what I'm saying.

Finding a way to be insulted by someone who is trying to concede credit to you is a weird way to go through life, though.

I actually go through life just fine, thank you.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 06:23 AM)
I actually go through life just fine, thank you.

I will say it’s rather entertaining at times to watch you try and navigate through back-and-forth arguments like this one, particularly when you don’t appear to have a leg to stand on with your reasoning. But I have to hand it to you, you give it the ‘ol college try, nonetheless!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 05:05 PM)
That's cool the thread is reopened. It proves there can be dissent on soxtalk. Dick Allen and I are not fans of Soria it is apparent.

I totally get where you are coming from.

I sort of feel similarly about Abreu. Dude sucks. Yet everyone seems to think he provides some kind of value. Guy strikes out in all the big time plate appearances that I can remember.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 08:09 PM)

I sort of feel similarly about Abreu. Dude sucks. Yet everyone seems to think he provides some kind of value. Guy strikes out in all the big time plate appearances that I can remember.

Cmon, man. 100 ribbies/yr.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 07:09 PM)

A fine example of confirmation bias at work.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 06:20 PM)
I will say it’s rather entertaining at times to watch you try and navigate through back-and-forth arguments like this one, particularly when you don’t appear to have a leg to stand on with your reasoning. But I have to hand it to you, you give it the ‘ol college try, nonetheless!

Fortunately, Jerry Reinsdorf hasn't ruined my life yet.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 07:09 PM)

When has Abreu ever hit when it matters? Great rookie campaign. Since then, he constantly craps the bed when the sox are in the playoff hunt.once they are out and the pressure is off, he hits again. He had the best year of his career (minus his rookie year, but the league figured him out and adjusted to him after tgat) when the sox were clearly tanking and had no expectations. Add that to his poor defense, and you get a massively overrated player around these parts.

DA uses this logic to hate on soria, but he would never do it to his boy Abreu

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 08:48 PM)
Fortunately, Jerry Reinsdorf hasn't ruined my life yet.

I suspect not. Hard to think of a way he could impact your life beyond just inflicting the adverse effect he’s had on your experience as a White Sox fan.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jan 12, 2018 -> 02:53 AM)
When has Abreu ever hit when it matters? Great rookie campaign. Since then, he constantly craps the bed when the sox are in the playoff hunt.once they are out and the pressure is off, he hits again. He had the best year of his career (minus his rookie year, but the league figured him out and adjusted to him after tgat) when the sox were clearly tanking and had no expectations. Add that to his poor defense, and you get a massively overrated player around these parts.

DA uses this logic to hate on soria, but he would never do it to his boy Abreu

Ron, he was not being serious in his ripping Abreu, but you are being serious. What player in Sox history has had the numbers consistently that Abreu has put up? He's been so consistent it's scary. He's a great hitter and a stupendous clubhouse guy yet fans on here would get rid of him in a minute if we could get more prospects. Prospect means you ain't done it yet.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 10:30 PM)
Ron, he was not being serious in his ripping Abreu, but you are being serious. What player in Sox history has had the numbers consistently that Abreu has put up? He's been so consistent it's scary. He's a great hitter and a stupendous clubhouse guy yet fans on here would get rid of him in a minute if we could get more prospects. Prospect means you ain't done it yet.

Your question = this pitch.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 11:13 PM)
This thread did not need to be reopened because theres seriously been only a few interesting posts in the last couple of pages. Everyone else hijacked this thread with their spam. Message board etiquette 101: Don't spam threads.

As I break the etiquette myself... :lol:

This thread is Greg's masterpiece. His Mona Lisa

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 08:41 AM)
But just think about it, his FIP and xFIP were good in 2017, better than in years. Why wasn't he worth anything in the trade market? If these are signs he is a top 25 reliever, why did KC have to include cash and one of their best relievers team controlled for 5 seasons to get rid of him?

And why, if he put up the exact same xFIP and FIP the first half of 2018, which no one would actually wager anything although they keep saying its' the best measure of what he will be, would he be worth considerably more than he is now with these numbers?

Why did nobody else care about Anthony Swarzak to give him anything above a minor-league deal last year despite his peripherals indicating that he was a good major league reliever? The league still seems to occasionally miss on some guys with gaudy ERAs and good peripherals. Not that Soria's an extreme example of this, his home runs were suppressed so I wouldn't take too much notice of his FIP, but he pitched like a roughly 3 ERA guy should last year. The reason he's not worth a whole lot on the trade market is he's due to be paid $10m next year and most teams probably figure they can find a 3 ERA bullpen guy for less.