40 Man at 39, what do you do with the last spot?

Dunt

14 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want the last 40 man roster spot used?

• Starting Pitcher
    • Reliever
    • Designated Hitter
    • Outfielder
    • Infielder

Please also post who you would want for the position you chose. I would like the Sox to pursue Trevor Cahill because he can start in the rotation while we wait for Rodon and Kopech, then can transition to be the long man. He has a good GB% that would probably be an asset in the G Spot.

I absolutely expect the White Sox do some dumpster diving over the next couple of months. Prices are going to start dropping with the glut of guys on the free agent market, especially in the middle and lower ends of the spectrum where the Sox are going to be shopping. I think starting pitcher would be my top expectation, but bringing in bargains is never a bad thing either, as it adds to our flexibility and to our assets.

I think they should target Jaime Garcia. LHSP with control issues, seems like a perfect Coop project that could yield dividends in the form of a deadline trade (when an asset like him is likely to be at his highest value), and if he's awful from the start, cutting your losses is pretty easy when Rodon gets back.

Starting pitcher for sure. With Rodon on the shelf until June (most likely), having another veteran available to eat innings is essential in this year of growth.

Guys who come to mind are: Clay Bucholtz, Miguel Gonzalez, Jaime Garcia and Big Sexy Bartolo Colon. Yes i said it. I want the big fat dude back for a third time.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 10:39 PM)
I find it humorous that every trade or potential free agent signing has now become a “flip” scenario

I don't think its humorous. I think it's smart. At least in 2018. If that is still going on in 2019, than it's safe to say they are behind schedule on this rebuild.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 6, 2018 -> 07:19 PM)
I don't think its humorous. I think it's smart. At least in 2018. If that is still going on in 2019, than it's safe to say they are behind schedule on this rebuild.

At some point in time you take the talent you have to build a competitive team. This signing players to flip them is a waste of money and time. The idea is to build a competitive organization not continually trade or sign players to be traded. Plus you never know what the return will be anyway or if a free agent will sign up with the Sox knowing the team will most likely trade them mid-season

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 11:08 AM)
I absolutely expect the White Sox do some dumpster diving over the next couple of months. Prices are going to start dropping with the glut of guys on the free agent market, especially in the middle and lower ends of the spectrum where the Sox are going to be shopping. I think starting pitcher would be my top expectation, but bringing in bargains is never a bad thing either, as it adds to our flexibility and to our assets.

This. Hahn isn't done. He's collected quite a few AAAA power position players ( Gillaspe etc) Expect some and excess OF's to be moved for more pitching .

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 08:39 PM)
I find it humorous that every trade or potential free agent signing has now become a “flip” scenario

I think it's the position the Sox are in that creates this mindset, as a rebuilding club the Sox are not a very attractive location for the top line free agents that are looking to sign with a contender. This forces Hahn & Co. to look for FAs that are either good value signings or someone that will sign a short-term contract to rebuild their value in hopes of getting moved to a contender or line up a bigger pay day next offseason. For the next couple of years the Sox are basically going to have to go dumpster diving during free agency, might as well target some players that Coop has a chance to work with and maybe catch lightning in a bottle.