Gerrit Cole to the Astros confirmed

KnightsOnMintSt

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 10:53 AM)
According to Jon Morosi on Twitter.

Should be interesting to see what they give up.

I highly doubt Tucker or Whitley is included in a package

Fisher will be in the deal, along with at least one arm I would imagine?

Good for the astros. I hated how they didn't trade for Sale/Quintana when they needed pitching, but now look at them... trading for Verlander and Cole.

Congrats Astros on the moves, I no longer hate you for holding out on your team. What a star team!

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

now

Earlier I quoted a source saying Cole to #Astros was close. Clearly that is not the case. Had heard all morning there was significant momentum toward a trade, with specific names under discussion. A deal surely remains possible. But I was mistaken to call it close at that time.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 11:53 AM)
Good for the astros. I hated how they didn't trade for Sale/Quintana when they needed pitching, but now look at them... trading for Verlander and Cole.

Congrats Astros on the moves, I no longer hate you for holding out on your team. What a star team!

Hard to hate them for making the correct decision that greatly benefitted them and then fascilitated Eloy Jimenez to the White Sox

Jim Bowden🌟🎤‏ @JimBowdenGM 58m58 minutes ago Astros refused to put Kyle Tucker and Forrest Whitley in the Justin Verlander deal, so it’s unlikely they’d put either in this trade. Most prominent names being bandied about:Derek Fisher, David Paulino, & Colin Moran. I was told no deal is done yet.So close? I’m not going there

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 12:55 PM)
Thought it sounded weird that neither of Fisher or Tucker were even available as a centerpiece to get four years of Quintana, but that they'd both be available six months later, AFTER the WS victory, just to get only two years of Gerrit Cole.

They'd have LOVED for us to take Fisher.. He was never off the table

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 01:50 PM)
Jim Bowden’s analysis is so terrible. Verlander is older and has a huge contract. Doesn’t mean it’s crazy they wouldn’t include either for Cole, who granted has his own reasons for pause.

Just think that guy used to be a GM in another life.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 02:31 PM)
Fischer is a pretty awful defender and would have a been a terrible centerpiece for Sale or Q. Glad we went different direction.

Yeah the only guy I'm disappointed we didn't get was Robles but he probably wasn't in the cards for any other deal then Sale