**President Trump 2018 Thread**

Brian

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/world-financ...-122826731.html

Markets starting to bet Trump is all talk and no action

President Donald Trump?€s approval rating has gone up three points among male voters in the wake of the Stormy Daniels controversy.

Following allegations by the adult film star that she and Trump had an affair in 2006?€”shortly after his wife Melania gave birth to the couple?€s son Barron?€”the president?€s approval rating among men rose from 50 to 53 percent compared with last month, according to a new Harvard CAPS/Harris Poll.

But female voters are not impressed. The poll, conducted from March 27-29 , showed that among women the president?€s approval rating dropped from 41 percent to 35 percent, in what the poll?€s co-director dubbed ?€œthe Stormy effect.?€?

?€œWhile President Trump?€s overall ratings are stable, his support increased among men and dropped among women,?€? Penn told The Hill.

?€œThis poll was taken right after the Stormy Daniels interview and so I think this increased gender polarization is the ?€˜Stormy Effect?€,?€? he added. source: yahoo

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 11:00 AM)
Sorry, this is slightly off topic, but does anyone else see these weird symbols when Caulfield posts?

It seems to have started around the same time as the site outage and it's only his posts I've noticed it on.

caulfield.JPG

He said it was something to do with posting from an ipad. I noticed it on a few other posters as well, i think DA the other day.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 11:32 AM)
He said it was something to do with posting from an ipad. I noticed it on a few other posters as well, i think DA the other day.

Yes. That happened a couple times on my IPad when trying to use an apostrophe. Then I ran an update and it seemed to clear it up.

Edited by Dick Allen

Can SoxTalk subsidize a new ipad, lol?

I have one that?€s 3 1/2 years old and recently the keyboard has been failing...probably just wearing out and needing replacement like Apple hopes for...also, just ran an IOS update, we?€ll see.

Haven?€t had a problem with work computer.

Whether prices rise (due to proposed tariffs) will ultimately depend on the availability of substitutes, said Brad Setser, senior fellow for international economics at the Council on Foreign Relations.

And companies might find ways to skirt the tariffs by making greater use of manufacturing facilities in other countries, like Brazil and Vietnam.

"Simply because it costs Apple that much more doesn't mean the consumer will pay [that much] more," said Awi Federgruen, a Columbia Business School professor who studies supply chain management.

There's no easy way to determine if companies will decide to raise prices — and if so, by how much.

Still, higher prices of any kind could make things tough on stores and shoppers — especially during the upcoming holiday season.

"These tariffs might be Grinch tariffs," said David French, senior vice president of government relations at the National Retail Federation. He noted that retailers will make decisions about where to source what they sell in December in coming weeks.

Right now, companies are combing through their supply chains to see whether they might be impacted.

The USTR list included a lot of general manufacturing equipment, so there could be additional revelations about affected products in the days and weeks to come.

For example, even though clothing, shoes and toys were excluded from the initial list, parts and machinery used to manufacture these items may have been included, which could affect pricing.

There are also lingering concerns that such items may find their way into the final draft.

"Items like apparel and footwear that are not on the list today, may suddenly materialize or appear on a later list," French said. cnn.com

Edited by caulfield12

Lost in all the soorts action...

“In light of China’s unfair retaliation, I have instructed the USTR to consider whether $100 billion of additional tariffs would be appropriate under section 301 and, if so, to identify the products upon which to impose such tariffs,” Trump said in a statement.

Trump’s own chief economic adviser, Larry Kudlow, had spent much of the last two days trying to assure investors that a full-blown trade war with Beijing was not in the offing, but news of possible new tariffs sent Dow futures plummeting Thursday night.

If anything, each subsequent, self-inflicted headline served to obscure the one Trump had made hours earlier. When looked at in retrospect, however, some historians will no doubt be tempted to ask why the president didn’t simply stick to his original script in West Virginia. yahoo.com

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:32 PM)
Lost in all the soorts action...

“In light of China’s unfair retaliation, I have instructed the USTR to consider whether $100 billion of additional tariffs would be appropriate under section 301 and, if so, to identify the products upon which to impose such tariffs,” Trump said in a statement.

Trump’s own chief economic adviser, Larry Kudlow, had spent much of the last two days trying to assure investors that a full-blown trade war with Beijing was not in the offing, but news of possible new tariffs sent Dow futures plummeting Thursday night.

If anything, each subsequent, self-inflicted headline served to obscure the one Trump had made hours earlier. When looked at in retrospect, however, some historians will no doubt be tempted to ask why the president didn’t simply stick to his original script in West Virginia. yahoo.com

I just reversed out of VIX Puts today at the close and back into VIX calls. Trump could pay for my Disney trip if he screws this up bad enough.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 01:35 PM)
JUST IN: China formally notifies World Trade Organisation it is suspending trade concessions to the United States on products including ethanol in response to U.S. duties on aluminium and steel - WTO document

https://twitter.com/ReutersWorld/status/981...8177886208?s=20

Those easy trade wars

I realize all the negative repercussions of this trade war, but it's hard.to be too upset in manufacturing cause Chinese steel is absolute s***, straight garbage. I've seen tools and parts fall apart because they used the metal from China.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 10:20 PM)
I realize all the negative repercussions of this trade war, but it's hard.to be too upset in manufacturing cause Chinese steel is absolute s***, straight garbage. I've seen tools and parts fall apart because they used the metal from China.

Sure, but there are so many parts and panels and s*** that come from there. People dont realize. Its gonna make things quite a bit more expensive

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 10:22 PM)
Sure, but there are so many parts and panels and s*** that come from there. People dont realize. Its gonna make things quite a bit more expensive

Yes, the end game of it all will be higher prices on the everyday consumer. Corporations sure aren't going to let their profits dwindle as labor and parts costs may increase.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 04:53 PM)
The Jimmy Kimmel/Sean Hannity feud is kind of hilarious.

Hannity is cool supporting a self proclaimed p**** grabber and supporting Roy Moore but calls Kimmel "Weinstein Jr" for some old Man Show skits. Makes sense.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 02:08 PM)
Dow 750 down, wonder if we’ll hit 1000.

We bounced back 200 points in the last hour. Wait to see what China does. If they hit us back again, especially if it involves our bonds, this could get really ugly. Dow 20000 here we go.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 07:14 PM)
We bounced back 200 points in the last hour. Wait to see what China does. If they hit us back again, especially if it involves our bonds, this could get really ugly. Dow 20000 here we go.

How would dumping bonds really benefit them...making the RMB stronger when their exports are under threat seems like the exact opposite of what they choose to do.

Not to mention they enjoy the psychological advantage of that imagined “leverage” over the US of controlling $1.2 trillion in debt.

US yields might rise in the short term, but their hit would be worse because many of their inefficient state owned enterprises are over leveraged in debt.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 02:57 PM)
Hannity is cool supporting a self proclaimed p**** grabber and supporting Roy Moore but calls Kimmel "Weinstein Jr" for some old Man Show skits. Makes sense.

Hannity conveniently ignorant that Kimmel's "Man Show" partner - Adam Carolla - was as semi-regular on O'Reilly's show and has toured with Dennis Prager. I guess if you lean to the right, what you've done in the past is irrelevant to Hannity.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 08:42 PM)
How would dumping bonds really benefit them...making the RMB stronger when their exports are under threat seems like the exact opposite of what they choose to do.

Not to mention they enjoy the psychological advantage of that imagined “leverage” over the US of controlling $1.2 trillion in debt.

US yields might rise in the short term, but their hit would be worse because many of their inefficient state owned enterprises are over leveraged in debt.

A trade war at all doesn't really benefit China, yet here we are.