**President Trump 2018 Thread**

Brian

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was watching how beer cost will increasewith the tariffs on aluminum. 

If the price goes up more than a couple cents its because they're using it as an excuse to gouge you. You're smarter than this. 

9 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

Its only going to get worse.  Cost of money is going up, cost of goods is going to go up.  Get ready

WTF does "Cost of money is going up" even mean?

Cost of goods going up is somewhat normal, in fact we've been so far under the inflation goals for the last decade that cost of goods should be allowed to go up at 3-4% for the next few years.

Cost of gasoline is going up in part because of the lunatic threatening people, but also in part because there's been a long enough economic expansion that people are burning more gas and US Customers have forgotten what it is like to pay $3 a gallon and are buying the low-mileage SUVs again (Ford literally last week announced they're giving up manufacturing passenger cars. Great future planning). The increase in fuel costs will probably slow overall growth, as it has before, but it will also spur a lot more domestic oil production as drilling on land collapsed 2 years ago when the prices plummeted, eventually that will even out the spike again and prices will over-drop.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

WTF does "Cost of money is going up" even mean?

Cost of goods going up is somewhat normal, in fact we've been so far under the inflation goals for the last decade that cost of goods should be allowed to go up at 3-4% for the next few years.

Cost of gasoline is going up in part because of the lunatic threatening people, but also in part because there's been a long enough economic expansion that people are burning more gas and US Customers have forgotten what it is like to pay $3 a gallon and are buying the low-mileage SUVs again (Ford literally last week announced they're giving up manufacturing passenger cars. Great future planning). The increase in fuel costs will probably slow overall growth, as it has before, but it will also spur a lot more domestic oil production as drilling on land collapsed 2 years ago when the prices plummeted, eventually that will even out the spike again and prices will over-drop.

It means the cost of borrowing money is increasing.  It's a pretty standard term for that.

Edited by RockRaines

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Buy a different brand that is taking the opportunity to undercut their competitor's silly pricing?

Have fun with that. With mergers, there aren't a whole lot of  brewers anymore. Midwest Premium price is already up 31% since Trump announced the tariffs. I'm sure they are firing as much crap against the wall as possible to see what sticks, but they also claim it will cost 20,000 jobs. Maybe they can become coal miners.

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Have fun with that. With mergers, there aren't a whole lot of  brewers anymore. Midwest Premium price is already up 31% since Trump announced the tariffs. I'm sure they are firing as much crap against the wall as possible to see what sticks, but they also claim it will cost 20,000 jobs. Maybe they can become coal miners.

I can guarantee that my friends at Moose Drool will be happy for the extra business this month.

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I've been told by a brewery owner friend that the cost of materials to brew should be increasing as well, so they will eventually pass that down to us, even if it doesnt touch aluminum.

The cost of lumber and building materials increasing has really skyrocketed the project cost for my house reno this summer.  Really should have done it two years ago I guess.

Edited by RockRaines

The amount of visa renewal denials is rising so fast that my company may have to shift how we hire contractors.  We've lost 3 key resources already in the last year due to this, and potentially could lose more very soon.  The additional cost or the requirement to have only offshore people going forward is going to majorly disrupt how we do business.  

Our contingent supplier team is literally freaking out about this.

Just now, StrangeSox said:

time-traveling Obama strikes again!

fwiw to compare back to 2008 gas prices, the last time we were seeing a big spike, $3/gallon today is equivalent to $3.50/gal 10 years ago.

Thats $5+ gas was a fucking nightmare, and I hope we dont get there again.

11 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

I would like links to more stories from 2007.

The reason for the story was he said his friends would clean up because apparently they wouldn't join the rest of the beer industry in raising prices more than a couple of cents. They did raise prices as much or more than anyone with the barley excuse and were quoted at were prices were going. 

They are just like any other one of these guys. They are going to charge whatever they can get away with. There is nothing wrong with that. I am just pointing out that to think they aren't going to take advantage of this excuse to raise their price while everyone else is as well is laughable.

Edited by Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The reason for the story was he said his friends would clean up because apparently they wouldn't join the rest of the beer industry in raising prices more than a couple of cents. They did raise prices as much or more than anyone with the barley excuse and were quoted at were prices were going. 

They are just like any other one of these guys. They are going to charge whatever they can get away with.

Exactly. They will charge what a competitive marketplace requires, "whatever they can get away with", so if a company "Gouges" by raising prices beyond the few cents increase due to aluminum cost increases, you shift to the company that is choosing not to gouge. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Exactly. They will charge what a competitive marketplace requires, "whatever they can get away with", so if a company "Gouges" by raising prices beyond the few cents increase due to aluminum cost increases, you shift to the company that is choosing not to gouge. 

And they will follow with the "gouging". That is the point.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

And they will follow with the "gouging". That is the point.

And if they do "gouge", raise prices beyond what is required based on the raw materials, basic economics - their competitors will be able to undercut their prices unless the full market is a monopoly. Alcohol isn't. So if you're seeing a $.10 a can increase, buy something else.