**President Trump 2018 Thread**

Brian

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/donald-trump-run-president-gwen-stefani-michael-moore-thinks-101753426.html

Michael Moore:  Trump ran for president because Gwen Stefani was paid $1 million more by NBC

“He’d been talking about running for president since 1988, but he didn’t really want to be president,” Moore told the publication. “There’s no penthouse in the White House. And he doesn’t want to live in a black city. He was trying to pit NBC against another network, but it just went off the rails.”

While it’s true that there’s no love lost between Trump and his former network — just days ago he tweeted that NBC’s “journalistic standards [are] worse than even CNN” and suggested that its license be yanked — it’s unclear why Stefani specifically would set him off. Sources claim that the No Doubt frontwoman was paid $12 million for her time on The Voice, versus the $13 million reportedly doled out to Adam Levine and Stefani’s boyfriend, Blake Shelton.

Maybe he’s just not a fan of “Don’t Speak”?

So, following up on our discussion of the Woodward book recently... I ordered a copy over the weekend on Amazon. It hit the stores earlier this week. My expected shipment date is early October - nearly a month after ordering. I'd say that book is selling quite well.

Looking forward to reading it.

2 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

So, following up on our discussion of the Woodward book recently... I ordered a copy over the weekend on Amazon. It hit the stores earlier this week. My expected shipment date is early October - nearly a month after ordering. I'd say that book is selling quite well.

3/4ths of the way through now...scary stuff, a bit more on the military/foreign policy side, but that’s logical since tax reform was the only big legislation.

Porter, Cohn, Tillerson and Mattis are the ones who come out best.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

3/4ths of the way through now...scary stuff, a bit more on the military/foreign policy side, but that’s logical since tax reform was the only big legislation.

Porter, Cohn, Tillerson and Mattis are the ones who come out best.

Just remember that at least two of those guys, Porter and Cohn, are some of his main sources for the book, and Woodward generally repeats his sources' claims with little or no criticism.

18 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I debated buying it but I feel like having watched 3-4 Woodward interviews and reading some of the stories on the book's revelations, I've already seen/read most of whats in the book.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/13/opinions/the-question-woodward-book-doesnt-answer-zelizer/index.html

The one question Woodward's book doesn't attempt to answer

Fifty years after it seemed that George Wallace's brand of politics was banished forever, his legacy lives on in the White House. Our political processes were so broken that a political novice with a checkered business history and claim to fame from reality television rode his way to the presidency.

While many people in the electorate were not happy with Trump or the system that produced him, and he actually lost the popular vote, the President was still able to win, thanks to the Electoral College. His victory was likely enabled by a combination of factors -- including growing inequality and the uneven recovery from the Great Recession, the rot in our campaign finance system, the failure of Congress to govern effectively, the flaws of his opponent, the growth of conservative news media, the use of social media by Russian hackers and the continued popular strength of reactionary social ideas in certain parts of the nation (you can probably add the Comey investigation of Weiner e-mails the last two weeks MY EDIT).

Trump's support among Republican voters is currently at 85%. The answer to the state of our electorate won't be found in the portraits of the insiders who rule the roost in the White House. So Woodward has once again offered a fascinating account of parlor politics, this time in the Trump White House, but he has not provided an understanding about why this all happened and why it is allowed to continue.
While this is not the story that Woodward intended to tell, it can't be ignored since it is the only way to get to the bottom of what is going on in American politics today. We need to start looking more carefully at the big picture -- understanding the trends and dynamics that created the toxic political environment that allows the presidency depicted in Woodward's book to occur.

Until we have answers to these questions, we won't be able to have any assurance this will turn out OK, or that after Trump's presidency ends, his brand of politics won't outlast him.

3,000 dead Americans don't count because they're not Republican voters

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/13/opinions/the-question-woodward-book-doesnt-answer-zelizer/index.html

The one question Woodward's book doesn't attempt to answer

Fifty years after it seemed that George Wallace's brand of politics was banished forever, his legacy lives on in the White House. Our political processes were so broken that a political novice with a checkered business history and claim to fame from reality television rode his way to the presidency.

While many people in the electorate were not happy with Trump or the system that produced him, and he actually lost the popular vote, the President was still able to win, thanks to the Electoral College. His victory was likely enabled by a combination of factors -- including growing inequality and the uneven recovery from the Great Recession, the rot in our campaign finance system, the failure of Congress to govern effectively, the flaws of his opponent, the growth of conservative news media, the use of social media by Russian hackers and the continued popular strength of reactionary social ideas in certain parts of the nation (you can probably add the Comey investigation of Weiner e-mails the last two weeks MY EDIT).

Trump's support among Republican voters is currently at 85%. The answer to the state of our electorate won't be found in the portraits of the insiders who rule the roost in the White House. So Woodward has once again offered a fascinating account of parlor politics, this time in the Trump White House, but he has not provided an understanding about why this all happened and why it is allowed to continue.
While this is not the story that Woodward intended to tell, it can't be ignored since it is the only way to get to the bottom of what is going on in American politics today. We need to start looking more carefully at the big picture -- understanding the trends and dynamics that created the toxic political environment that allows the presidency depicted in Woodward's book to occur.

Until we have answers to these questions, we won't be able to have any assurance this will turn out OK, or that after Trump's presidency ends, his brand of politics won't outlast him.

Trump is a symptom, not the disease. The rot that brought us Trump runs very deep within the republican party. The next time around, his brand of politics will be lead by someone who's actually competent.

For example:

Edited by StrangeSox