**President Trump 2018 Thread**

Brian

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Smh

A few years ago, you would actually need to provide evidence for an accusation like this, but now there are idiots who just take people's word on stuff. IE Infowars etc

All these people paid off by Soros. It's funny. There are some really great amateur actors. 

Just more of Trump's shtick. His press conference to kick off his campaign was filled will people he paid $50 to cheer him on. It is almost without fail when he is accusing someone of something, he either is currently committing what he is accusing or has in the past. 

Pay your taxes . 

A leading Holocaust historian just seriously compared the US to Nazi Germany

“If the US has someone whom historians will look back on as the gravedigger of American democracy, it is Mitch McConnell.”

This is the key point that people often miss when talking about Hitler’s rise. The breakdown of German democracy started well before Hitler: Hyperpolarization led Hindenburg to strip away constraints on executive power as well as conclude that his left-wing opponents were a greater threat than fascism. The result, then, was a degradation of the everyday practice of democracy, to the point where the system was vulnerable to a Hitler-style figure.

Now, as Browning points out, “Trump is not Hitler and Trumpism is not Nazism.” The biggest and most important difference is that Hitler was an open and ideological opponent of the idea of democracy, whereas neither Trump nor the GOP wants to abolish elections.

What Browning worries about, instead, is a slow and quiet breakdown of American democracy — something more much like what you see in modern failed democracies like Turkey. Browning worries that Republicans have grown comfortable enough manipulating the rules of the democratic game to their advantage, with things like voter ID laws and gerrymandering, that they might go even further even after Trump is gone:

No matter how and when the Trump presidency ends, the specter of illiberalism will continue to haunt American politics. A highly politicized judiciary will remain, in which close Supreme Court decisions will be viewed by many as of dubious legitimacy, and future judicial appointments will be fiercely contested. The racial division, cultural conflict, and political polarization Trump has encouraged and intensified will be difficult to heal. Gerrymandering, voter suppression, and uncontrolled campaign spending will continue to result in elections skewed in an unrepresentative and undemocratic direction. Growing income disparity will be extremely difficult to halt, much less reverse.

I’ve observed this kind of modern authoritarianism firsthand in Hungary. In my dispatch after visiting there, I warned of the same thing as Browning does here: The threat to the United States isn’t so much Trump alone as it is the breakdown in the practice of American democracy, and the Republican Party’s commitment to extreme tactics in pursuit of its policy goals in particular.

We are living through a period of serious threat to American democracy. And Browning’s essay, a serious piece by a serious scholar, shows that it’s not at all alarmist to say so.

• Like 1

https://eand.co/will-and-should-america-break-up-with-america-7a2dfbab5224

Should a collapsing America Just Break Up with Itself?

Americans don’t agree on two things anymore. Personhood and violence.They don’t agree that all people are people, or should be, or even can be — and therefore, many Americans appear to believe in many or most of the following things. It’s perfectly acceptable to rape women if you can get away with it, it’s perfectly fine to put children in camps, it’s perfectly desirable to suggest, believe, “know that” some groups are inherently superior to others, it’s quite alright to want to ethnically cleanse a society, it’s perfectly healthy to “debate” ideas like authoritarianism and fascism (as if two world wars hadn’t settled the question). Need I go on?

Agreements about these two things — personhood, the idea that all people are equal persons, and violence, the idea that because all people are equal persons, no one is to do violence to another — are the fundamental building blocks of a democracy. Unless people can agree on both, definitionally, a society will cannot remain a democracy — it cannot really forge a social contract through consent, because some people are not people, but inhuman, and the people who are will therefore have license to do violence to them. But that is precisely where America is today. So where will it be tomorrow?

Let me try to answer that question, by referencing another one. The question “will America break up?” is often seen as about differing political attitudes within a democracy. But I think it cuts much deeper than that. It is about differing attitudes to democracy — different attitudes to political systems entirely.

11 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

A leading Holocaust historian just seriously compared the US to Nazi Germany

“If the US has someone whom historians will look back on as the gravedigger of American democracy, it is Mitch McConnell.”

Via Erik Erickson  (one of the original never trumpers)

Progressives believe Trump is an authoritarian tyrant barely constrained by the rule of law. With a straight face, these same progressives argue that the accusations against Kavanaugh are proof of his guilt, that he should not be presumed innocent, that a lack of witnesses is confirmation he did what they claim, that all women must be believed except the ones who defend Kavanaugh and that any dissent is just white male privilege. Progressives may claim Trump is Caesar at the edge of the Rubicon, but they have embraced the bastard love child of Joseph Stalin and Franz Kafka and enlisted the American political press to smear, defame and attack anyone who stands in their way.

Between Trump and his opposition, I would rather vote for him, despite his flaws, than for his opponents who want a flawless progressive utopia. Trump is neither an ambassador for my values nor the articulate champion of my principles I would prefer. But he is a safe harbor in a progressive storm that seeks to both destroy my values and upend our constitutional republic.

There is much in the present political age about which I am uncertain. But there is one thing about which I am absolutely certain: President Trump is not my enemy, and too many progressives view me as theirs.

Going after Kavanaugh seems to have backfired badly. It's almost like what we saw the last couple of years ago with Erodgen they went for killshot and failed.

Here are just some of the things I noticed:

It has united the political factions within the GOP and commentariat. Sort of the last hold outs were the Bushes who have never forgiven him for Jeb and the way they spoke about GW presidency. Part of the reason for Kavanaugh being nominated beyond him being supremely qualified was to help mend those fences you have Condi Rice speaking on his behalf before the hearing and GW as well sending a video message extolling his virtues. It's actually funny one of the most legitimate avenues to attack him early was the fact he had already worked in the Bush administration. Worked for Ken Starr that despite the fact he maybe claim to be apolitical it would certainly appear otherwise to outsiders and that can't happen to the SC. That case was never really made properly. In any case the remnants of the old guard of the Bush admin were all in excited even beyond that seemed to have genuine affection for him.

So when the Democrats went after Kavanaugh the way in which they did it wasn't just an attack on Trump or at least it's not viewed that way by the Bush family. It's partly why you saw Graham get so animated for a way in which he's never done for Trump. For the old guard the Bushes are their original benefactor. Just for the record I thought he was an awful president.  

It's awoken the base for obvious reasons but even people on the outside looking in are saying progressive values are not my values. I may not support Trump. He's an Oaf but I don't want to live under a society where all men are assumed guilty and have to prove their innocence. Recent polling by Ramussen has Trump sitting at a 51 approval rating prior that his RCP average was sitting in the low 40's

It's really put them in a tough spot as it relates to the FBI they just accused them of a coverup and a sham investigation. The media isn't covering it but you can bet the next time a democrat mentions Trump going after the FBI it will be repeated

It's put redstate democrats particularly in a real bad spot. Since they fought to the bitter end Donnelly, Tester, McCaskill, Heitkamp, Manchin were all forced to make tough choices only Manchin followed his constituent wishes. One of the major issues being of course should they continue to keep the senate they'll continue to confirm judges and possibly another SC justice. Breyer is what 80? RBG is 85.

Edited by wrathofhahn

“Progressives may claim Trump is Caesar at the edge of the Rubicon, but they have embraced the bastard love child of Joseph Stalin and Franz Kafka and enlisted the American political press to smear, defame and attack anyone who stands in their way.”

If the mainstream media and George Soros were so influential as claimed, the GOP wouldn’t have control of all three branches of government, and the majority of state legislatures and governorships.

Very few legitimate national Democratic candidates are extolling getting entirely rid of ICE, or guns, or believes that Medicare for All is feasible.  In fact, almost everyone prefers to close the loopholes for small business owners and independent contractors, rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  What they do agree upon is that unchecked/unregulated corporate power constitutes a threat to democracy and our shared system of values.  

Just now, GoSox05 said:

Listen, I would make so many deals.  The best deals. 

But would it be easy to make these deals? I heard you're great at making deals. But I also heard you're Crooked GoSox05, and I don't want any crooked deals. ;) lol

Saudi Arabia has either killer or kidnapped a U.S resident and journalist in a NATO country.

Israel has detained an American citizen for protesting or just past protesting.  Something a normal country does.

Brazil is on the brink of becoming a fascist country.

Is Trump going to say anything about these issues?  Has he even brought them up?  I know he has talked numerous times about "paid protesters" and the failing New York times, but I haven't really heard him mention anything about these issues.

The President with the really big brain got fooled inadvertently by Fox News. They had someone on who was talking about the protesters. The ones Trump insists were paid. They were saying they weren't and the reporter sarcastically said they were upset they hadn't been paid as of yet. Trump took that to mean they were supposed to get paid, but didn't get their checks yet. He got it out at a rally and on the twitter. Genius.  

1 hour ago, GoSox05 said:

Saudi Arabia has either killer or kidnapped a U.S resident and journalist in a NATO country.

Israel has detained an American citizen for protesting or just past protesting.  Something a normal country does.

Brazil is on the brink of becoming a fascist country.

Is Trump going to say anything about these issues?  Has he even brought them up?  I know he has talked numerous times about "paid protesters" and the failing New York times, but I haven't really heard him mention anything about these issues.

WSJ is endorsing this now, I'm sure the rest of mainstream conservatives will too.

They loved Pinochet, why not Bolsonaro?

10 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

WSJ is endorsing this now, I'm sure the rest of mainstream conservatives will too.

They loved Pinochet, why not Bolsonaro?

So, he says a few things that are not pc, like the time he told a fellow member of congress he wouldn't rape her because she didn't deserve it.  Very normal thing to say.  Just traditional values.

Living under a fascist regime to own the libs. 

6 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Gonna keep selling billions in arms to the Saudis to help them murder thousands of Yemenis rather than hold them accountable for almost definitely murdering a journalist

This is what I expected, but it's still disgusting.  Also, this is why MBS did this, cause he knows we aren't going to do anything to him.

History is not going to look kindly on us or the Saudis with regards to Yemen.  It's genocide.