**President Trump 2018 Thread**

Brian

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Trump may commute Blogo's sentence.

This should be an impeachable offense. Why can prez usurp the legal system? How bout letting out that guy in NYC who did not kill his wife and is rotting away in prison?? Blogo was pretty heinous, correct? His crimes deserve a bit more jail time.

I'm in the minority. I don't mind Blago getting out. He isn't violent, he isn't going to hurt anyone. He isn't going to be able to hold public office. He's just burning taxpayer money sitting in a cell. Let his daughters have their dad back is what I say. If there is concern, make him wear an ankle bracelet. And frankly, his crime IMO isn't exactly unique to him. I would imagine many politicians have tried to sell appointments. In fact, probably thousands have done what busted him and faced no penalty. Obviously not necessarily a Senate seat, but the exact same crime. 

Edited by Dick Allen

20 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm in the minority. I don't mind Blago getting out. He isn't violent, he isn't going to hurt anyone. He isn't going to be able to hold public office. He's just burning taxpayer money sitting in a cell. Let his daughters have their dad back is what I say. If there is concern, make him wear an ankle bracelet. And frankly, his crime IMO isn't exactly unique to him. I would imagine many politicians have tried to sell appointments. In fact, probably thousands have done what busted him and faced no penalty. Obviously not necessarily a Senate seat, but the exact same crime. 

He was clearly guilty so Trumps statement is bullshit, but 14 years was real harsh.

Blago had the book thrown at him because he absolutely refused to concede that he did anything wrong, made a circus out of all of it, and was following two previous Governors that went down in corrupt disgrace.   That being said, i agree it was unusually harsh and he should have had a chance at parole.

52 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Yeah Blago definitely served his time. I don't know who he pissed off to get this type of treatment when he was in a hotbed of political corruption. 

The single best way to avoid getting a speeding ticket is to not be the fastest car in traffic. Even being 2nd fastest is pretty safe.

Same thing applies here. In a pile of corruption, he stood out the most and was the loudest and most obvious (and ultimately, the least effective at it, because he's not the sharpest crayon in the box).

What I think is really funny here is I've been saying for years, Blago was basically pre-Trump Trump, just happened to be running as a Democrat. Populists who basically stumbled into (or were handed) early successes that they combined with guile and no hesitation to screw anyone, which were leveraged into the drumming up of fear and lizard-brain themes to win office. Both then exposed for being woefully unqualified for the jobs and pretty much talking themselves into disaster.

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

I am pretty young as you know but I do remember their being audio of Blago talking about the crime. I feel like back then that would be pretty crazy. I am sure could find on google but how did that audio come to light exactly?

You have to wonder if Blago is actually a republican like Trump is actually a democrat. I know two elected judges in cook county. Both are republicans but ran as democrats because they live in Illinois and wanted to get elected.

I don't think either one cares much ideologically. They just care about serving themselves and getting lots and lots of attention. Both huge narcissists. Neither is really a member of either party, they just lined up where they thought they could get what they wanted, which is kind of what you indicate here.

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I am pretty young as you know but I do remember their being audio of Blago talking about the crime. I feel like back then that would be pretty crazy. I am sure could find on google but how did that audio come to light exactly?

You have to wonder if Blago is actually a republican like Trump is actually a democrat. I know two elected judges in cook county. Both are republicans but ran as democrats because they live in Illinois and wanted to get elected.

The audio was used in the ads targeting Pritzker a few months ago.   IIRC Blago wasnt too quiet about wanting to sell that seat and his phones were tapped, and sure as shit he walked right into the trap.

6 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

Blago was guilt as fuck, and he was dirty as hell, but 14 years for that crime is pretty crazy considering.  

I'll feel sorry for him when mandatory minimum sentencing for possession of illegal drugs is done away with. I feel a lot worse for people doing more time for having a small amount of a drug that is now legal in many states, including states where prisoners are serving those sentences.

26 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I'll feel sorry for him when mandatory minimum sentencing for possession of illegal drugs is done away with. I feel a lot worse for people doing more time for having a small amount of a drug that is now legal in many states, including states where prisoners are serving those sentences.

True.  Even worse when we see Rapists get slaps on the wrist.  The justice system is fucked.

11 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I feel bad for people who get mugged but I don't lose any sympathy because there are people who get raped and murdered. These are entirely unrelated events. Not everything has to be black and white.

How is that even related to what I said? Sympathy for victims has nothing to do with sympathy for criminals based on the crime they committed and the length of their sentence.

My logic with him is, have him do some time, which he has done. I believe he's in a Club Fed so it's not like he's doing regular time anyway. And he poses no danger to society, so let him go home. Someone will hire him to do something I am sure. Maybe on the radio or internet. 

I don't think it should come down to a pardon. The question I have for Trump if these aren't a message to his friends in trouble, why now? If, as the stable genius claims, Blago should never have been jailed, why didn't he commute the sentence earlier, like when he was doing Sheriff Joe a solid? 

9 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Interesting. Didn't think they would release law enforcement work or acknowledge they had the capabilities to even do so back then.

Regardless, it's good Blago was made an example of. If only national politicians could be exposed in the same way...

I would think you would be outraged. He actually had his phone tapped, unlike a certain person with bone spurs who claimed as much. And oh, btw, never apologized for his falsehood. 

Then, this tape is released to hurt JB Pritzker. How did that get out? Some bad people. Really bad. All democrats...oh wait. 

4 hours ago, raBBit said:

Interesting. Didn't think they would release law enforcement work or acknowledge they had the capabilities to even do so back then.

Regardless, it's good Blago was made an example of. If only national politicians could be exposed in the same way...

The tapes were leaked to a Chicago Tribune reporter.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/agriculture/2018/06/01/mexico-pork-tariff-trade-war-threats-iowa-producer-losses-trump-steel-canada-china-exports-ham/663212002/

Iowa farm losses (pork/soybeans) could approach $560 million...

Kushner's dad returns fire on "ethics watchdogs"

Jared Kushner’s father, real estate magnate Charles Kushner, slammed federal ethics watchdogs who have been hounding him and his son, calling them “jerks” who can’t get a “real job.” 

He also insisted the watchdogs keep “rich, smart, successful people” out of government jobs.

“All they want to do is assure that poor, not successful people go into government,” Charles Kushner told The Real Deal in an interview published Friday. “Because if you’re successful, you shouldn’t be penalized by stupid ethics watchdogs raising things that are potential.”

He went on to complain about attacks and the “barrage of negative media” against his son, despite the “sacrifice” Jared Kushner has made as a public servant.

“I look at what my kids have sacrificed to go into government, with the only intent of doing good for this country and for the world, and to help people,” he said, apparently referring to Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump, according to the Real Deal. “They sacrificed a lot.”

Just last week, as the Trump administration continued to hammer out details for the North Korean summit, two South Korean financial firms — Nonghyup Bank and trusts linked to IGIS Asset Management — bought $100 million of debt on a residential building that’s partially owned by the Kushner family in the Trump Bay Street complex in New Jersey, Bloomberg reported. Jared Kushner still has a stake in the property, according to Bloomberg.

The family businesses have received hundreds of millions in loans from major Israeli financial firms even as Jared Kushner is charged with forging a balanced peace in the Middle East. The Kushners were also criticized early last year for attempting to woo Chinese investments for projects by highlighting Jared Kushner’s ties to the White House

Three months after Trump’s inauguration, Charles Kushner also pressed a Qatari official for a $500 million loan from a government-controlled investment fund, The Intercept reported. Charles Kushner later confirmed to The Washington Post that he attended a meeting with the official but would not have accepted funds. Weeks after Qatar reportedly refused to provide a loan, Jared Kushner backed a puzzling blockade against the nation enacted by Saudi Arabia. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jared-kushner-apos-father-rips-003733349.html

Edited by caulfield12