Who will be 2018's 5th starter?

southsider2k5

It would make for good TV if they just randomly throw a new guy out there every 5th day.

Covey, Danish, Cooper, Guerrero, Stephens, Adams, next man up.

I'm going to be optimistic and say Rodon is ready by May. Just throw Covey or Danish out there and let them take a beating for a few turns.

QUOTE (mac9001 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 10:40 PM)
It would make for good TV if they just randomly throw a new guy out there every 5th day.

You know...that sounds like a good marketing plan. Have a fan lottery where they can bid to pitch an inning for the Sox. Every fifth day they would just roll out a string of fans to throw an inning at a time. Line up 5-10 fans per game to cover the first five innings. Have the bullpen cover the rest.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 08:29 AM)
Hasn't there been a number of teams saying they're interested in him?

Yeah there has. And I guess he wants a 1-year deal. He should probably go somewhere like Minnesota where the team can be competitive again and the ballpark could help his numbers.

Edited by soxfan2014

Give me whoever has the best flipping upside.

If I had to rank that?

I think Bucholz is the type of guy that Coop could work with. And then once Rodon is back, you flip him to the bullpen. We've seen renaissance's before like this where all of a sudden maybe he's worth a bunch to the Sox. I actually had my eye on Henry Owens before he signed elsewhere. Great arm, no control. I really wanted to stockpile guys like that in this offseason and so far we haven't. Rubby De La Rosa, Owens, Bucholz. Why the hell not.

After that I'd go with the Santiago/Tillman type of guy.

Jesse Chavez does me no good. He fills a hole like Shields. He'll give you innings, but to me, you can get those innings and wins elsewhere. And I actually don't mind Chavez, hes been on my fantasy teams for spot starts for the past few years, just don't want him in a ChiSox uni.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 09:57 AM)
Yeah there has. And I guess he wants a 1-year deal. He should probably go somewhere like Minnesota where the team can be competitive again and the ballpark could help his numbers.

I think he'll likely prioritize opportunity over winning considering it will be a one year deal. Our rotation is bad he'd have zero competition for the 5th spot until june-ish when you can call players up without starting their clock.

In fact, that would be really the main purpose of Tilman he would be a meat shield and save us having to start the clock of one of our young pitchers early.

It's actually one of the big concerns of this current rotation. I don't want the sox to burn through the service time of our young pitchers to find a 5th starter.

Right now the rotation looks something like:

Shields

Rondon (???)

Fulmer

Giolito

Lopez

Shields is done. Rondon is a ???. Forget 5th starter ideally we should bring in two starters.

Well, that didn't take long after my response. I forgot about Gonzalez to be honest. I'd throw in the same category as a Hector Santiago. I'll take it.

I still wouldn't mind Bucholz as a piece in the pen if he's willing. That's where you hit your real HR on a flip deal. Imagine if he turned into a nice bullpen arm somehow and revives his career. you can hit the lottery.