White Sox sign Miguel Gonzalez

bmags

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 03:03 PM)
Charlotte rotation:

1. Michael Kopech

2. Spencer Adams

3. Jordan Guerrero

4. Jordan Stephens

5.Dylan Covey

6. Tyler Danish

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 03:04 PM)
I mean most of the AA guys are gonna move up right? Kopech, Stephens Guerrero Adams.

Then you have danish possibly or some minor league fa

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 03:06 PM)
And possibly Covey. Is Danish mostly viewed as a reliever right now?

With how big that list is, unless they think Rodon is out the whole year, I'm not sure a minor league level starter has a job here, unless they do one of those contracts that gives the guy an out if he doesn't make the big league roster by April 15.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 01:41 PM)
Miguel is OK by me. How were his peripherals before I decide whether he's good or not. I don't despise him or anything. As far as Shields/Opening Day. Geez. If he pitches Opening Day it's telling the world and our fans: "The White Sox wish to tank one more season. Please bear with us as we tank. And please enjoy your 25 dollar parking and 10 dollar beer. We are allowed to charge that while giving you James Shields one more season before we get good. That is all."

Don't wreck another thread with comments about peripherals, please.

I think every fan (every informed fan, anyway) is aware that the Sox are not planning on competing this year. Who they roll out there on opening day doesn't really matter.

And parking is $20. It's $10 if you go on Sunday. Tickets are still relatively cheap, especially if you buy them second-hand (SeatGeek, Vivid Seats, etc.)

As far as beer and food? You can bring your own water and food in clear containers. I always buy a beer or two, but we bring water and snacks for the kids. And yes, they are allowed to charge what they do...all teams do, regardless of the product on the field.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 02:40 PM)
Why? Rodon and Kopech figure to be in the plans too. That's 7 total starters. After this signing, we have enough depth

Pretty sure the plan is to start Kopech down in AA/AAA. Rondon is a huge ??? from a health standpoint. Shields looked done last year.

The last thing I want to do is burn through our young guys service time playing them in meaningless games both Fulmer and Giolito were able to preserve an extra year by not calling them up at the beginning of the season.

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 02:17 PM)
Pretty sure the plan is to start Kopech down in AA/AAA. Rondon is a huge ??? from a health standpoint. Shields looked done last year.

The last thing I want to do is burn through our young guys service time playing them in meaningless games both Fulmer and Giolito were able to preserve an extra year by not calling them up at the beginning of the season.

Kopech finished in AAA so he'll start in AAA.

We'll certainly throw some camp invites out to vets.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 02:17 PM)

It's Rodon and he should be back by June at the latest. Kopech will be starting in AAA. The rotation is likely: Shields/Giolito/Lopez/Gonzalez/Fulmer to start the year. Rodon will take a spot at some point. Michael Kopech will take a spot at some point.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 02:24 PM)
It's Rodon and he should be back by June at the latest. Kopech will be starting in AAA. The rotation is likely: Shields/Giolito/Lopez/Gonzalez/Fulmer to start the year. Rodon will take a spot at some point. Michael Kopech will take a spot at some point.

Yeah, I can see Rodon bumping Fulmer ( sorry Carson ) to the pen and Kopech replacing Shields once Shields is traded/moved to the pen/released.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 03:24 PM)

Agreed but between opening day and june someone is going to likely miss time. Also Gonzalez and Shields are not sure things just from an ability to perform standpoint. Neither is Lopez who got hit around at times and longterm maybe more of a reliever.

That is without taking into account injuries. I think they need another guy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 11:28 AM)
Shields could be dropped to the pen also and no one would be mad.

Heck, with a rotation that young I wouldn't mind going to a 6 man rotation for a few weeks either if the roster could take it.

I wouldn't. They need the innings for health and learning.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 02:08 PM)
Last year I saw a guy buy 4 PBRs and it was $35. He gave the vendor $40 and told him to keep it. I was in Jewel later that day, a 30 pack of PBRs $13.99. Supposedly Chicago sports teams get their beer cheaper than any other business. The amount of profit is absolutely crazy.

There's his first problem. Ewww.

Kind of surprised by this. I always liked Miggy, but I thought the Sox would have taken a chance on bringing in a new face. I don't have any high expectations that he'll be as successful as last year. Still would like to see 1 more depth signing for Charlotte's rotation. Sox only have House, Covey, and Danish as depth, and they need someone to eat innings at the end of the year if they decide to shut Gio, Lopez, and/or Fulmer down.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 03:15 PM)
Agreed but between opening day and june someone is going to likely miss time. Also Gonzalez and Shields are not sure things just from an ability to perform standpoint. Neither is Lopez who got hit around at times and longterm maybe more of a reliever.

That is without taking into account injuries. I think they need another guy.

You made it sound like Sox is competing in 2018.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 04:52 PM)
Kind of surprised by this. I always liked Miggy, but I thought the Sox would have taken a chance on bringing in a new face. I don't have any high expectations that he'll be as successful as last year. Still would like to see 1 more depth signing for Charlotte's rotation. Sox only have House, Covey, and Danish as depth, and they need someone to eat innings at the end of the year if they decide to shut Gio, Lopez, and/or Fulmer down.

This is kind of how I feel. No big deal, but his upside isn't very high and the type of prospect they got for him last year is probably about the best you could hope for. I think you could probably save money and buy a prospect for less than they will pay him.

But they know him. Maybe he is a guy who is really good around the young guys. And they do need so,done to eat innings.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 07:57 PM)
And you wonder why people think you're a troll. Stop trolling, and maybe people will stop calling you a troll.

And FYI his peripherals aren't very good, which is why he's a 5th starter on a one year 4.5 million dollar deal.

Best case the Sox flip him for a lotto ticket in July.

I wasn't trolling. I was sarcastically making a point that I'm not thrilled about bringing back Miguel. I think we're still allowed to moan and groan a bit on here. It's been a while since Sox have made a move I've loved, simply loved. I wasn't really into drafting Burger and we know how I feel bout Soria, etc.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 08:01 PM)
Greg, parking is $20. Only $10 on Sundays though.

At least it's not 22 dollars. You can flip them a 20 spot and be on your way. I think parking at a major sporting event should be 10 bills. No more. I realize that's dreaming but any more is an insult to my wallet.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 05:52 PM)

Espn had the article that he signed for something like 4.5 million. So I don't think it really prevents us from bringing in someone else.

I also think the return we can get for Migo is pretty limited. We basically traded him at his peak last year and got Ti'Quan Forbes back. Ideally you would want someone with a little more upside like Tillman or Buchholz that you could pump and dump

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 07:21 PM)
Espn had the article that he signed for something like 4.5 million. So I don't think it really prevents us from bringing in someone else.

I also think the return we can get for Migo is pretty limited. We basically traded him at his peak last year and got Ti'Quan Forbes back. Ideally you would want someone with a little more upside like Tillman or Buchholz that you could pump and dump

The fact that they didn't bring either of those two suggests to me that both Buchholz and Tillman are asking for multi-year deals that don't fit in the Sox plans, and (like Dick Allen said) the Sox want a familiar/solid clubhouse guy to continue to build on the culture they are establishing in the clubhouse with the youngsters.

I'm fine with it, I just want to see another lower-level signing for insurance and September innings. I'd be shocked if all three of Fulmer, Lopez, and Giolito were still starting games in late September. But who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 09:21 PM)

The guys with a little more upside may be looking for more money - a number of teams have been interested in Tillman, for example. When it comes down to it, the return for any of these guys will be pretty small if they're traded, and I can't begrudge the team for going with a guy they're comfortable with.

The main priority is not to be able to trade the guy for a huge return, it's to turn the 4 rookies/semi rookies we'll have up this year + Rodon into a dominant rotation. There's way more talent there already than anything we'll possibly get back for moving any of those guys. Gonzalez gives us a guy that we know can eat some innings, that knows his role, and that won't be in the way when beautiful, beautiful Kopech finally arrives.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 07:52 PM)
The guys with a little more upside may be looking for more money - a number of teams have been interested in Tillman, for example. When it comes down to it, the return for any of these guys will be pretty small if they're traded, and I can't begrudge the team for going with a guy they're comfortable with.

The main priority is not to be able to trade the guy for a huge return, it's to turn the 4 rookies/semi rookies we'll have up this year + Rodon into a dominant rotation. There's way more talent there already than anything we'll possibly get back for moving any of those guys. Gonzalez gives us a guy that we know can eat some innings, that knows his role, and that won't be in the way when beautiful, beautiful Kopech finally arrives.

Your last sentence is right. Think they definitely wanted a decent guy that they didn't have qualms about DFA'ing when the time came.

I mean when we traded Miguel he had a pretty decent run of starts and he netted us DaQuan Forbes whom I didn't even remember until I googled it.

These flip projects aren't that exciting to me. Seems better to catch lightning in a bottle for bullpen.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 12, 2018 -> 09:24 AM)
I mean when we traded Miguel he had a pretty decent run of starts and he netted us DaQuan Forbes whom I didn't even remember until I googled it.

These flip projects aren't that exciting to me. Seems better to catch lightning in a bottle for bullpen.

Well you didn't google hard enough because his name is Ti'Quan Forbes