Sox randomly linked to JD Martinez for some reason

bmags

Like, 4th and 5th.It's funny how all of our actual moves show a team willing to just grow from within. BUt all of our rumored moves show a team desperately about to claw to 70 wins.

Edit: I don't think we are actually at all interested as seen by signing MiGo to "shore up" our pitching.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 12, 2018 -> 05:00 PM)
I honestly believe Hahn is looking for one big FA signing or trade this off season to ease the heavy lifting for next off season. To do EVERYTHING right as you expect to contend is difficult to do.

I think he's looking to buy assets that are undervalued and is kicking the tires and sniffing around any potential deal that offers that opportunity. Salaries seem highly suppressed this offseason. If the Sox can take advantage of what appears to a near historical lack of FA interest they should do so.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 12, 2018 -> 06:10 PM)
I think he's looking to buy assets that are undervalued and is kicking the tires and sniffing around any potential deal that offers that opportunity. Salaries seem highly suppressed this offseason. If the Sox can take advantage of what appears to a near historical lack of FA interest they should do so.

JD Martinez is a uniquely terrible fit unless Garcia is moved because Garcia and Martinez at the corner OF spots means we have no where to play the mutant at AA when it gets called up later this summer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2018 -> 03:49 PM)
JD Martinez is a uniquely terrible fit unless Garcia is moved because Garcia and Martinez at the corner OF spots means we have no where to play the mutant at AA when it gets called up later this summer.

I think moving Avi would be the idea here. and if not you still have the DH.

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ Jan 12, 2018 -> 06:58 PM)
I think moving Avi would be the idea here. and if not you still have the DH.

I think spending big money on a DH is a terrible idea even if he's at a serious discount compared to what you thought he'd be at earlier in the offseason.

100% depends on the price/years. Martinez has pretty much been David Ortiz lite the last few years. If I can get him at a huge discount (which still seems unlikely IMO), I’m not against signing a guy like him a year early. The DH factor doesn’t really matter to me honestly. He was a top three hitter in baseball last year, don’t really care if he plays the field or not, he’d be an absolute weapon in the middle of our lineup.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 12, 2018 -> 03:59 PM)
100% depends on the price/years. Martinez has pretty much been David Ortiz lite the last few years. If I can get him at a huge discount (which still seems unlikely IMO), I’m not against signing a guy like him a year early. The DH factor doesn’t really matter to me honestly. He was a top three hitter in baseball last year, don’t really care if he plays the field or not, he’d be an absolute weapon in the middle of our lineup.

He supposedly has 5/150 waiting for him but doesn't want it. The guy hit 45 HR's in just 119 games. That's a ton of HR's. Him at the GRate would be perfect. Too bad it's doubtful the Sox would really be interested unless that 5/150 is BS . For that kind of power the "where would he play" question shouldn't matter even with Eloy on the horizon.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 12, 2018 -> 08:33 PM)
He supposedly has 5/150 waiting for him but doesn't want it. The guy hit 45 HR's in just 119 games. That's a ton of HR's. Him at the GRate would be perfect. Too bad it's doubtful the Sox would really be interested unless that 5/150 is BS . For that kind of power the "where would he play" question shouldn't matter even with Eloy on the horizon.

I agree. Could you imagine a 3-4-5 of Abreu-Martinez-Jimenez? That’s 100+ HRs easy at the Cell.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2018 -> 05:49 PM)

LOL

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 12, 2018 -> 08:33 PM)

He did hit a lot of homers but so did about 100 other guys. It was a juiced ball year

and MLB sometimes de-juices the ball a little after a huge year. As much as I like Yolmer

and Leury, it would really surprise me if either one matches their HR totals from 2017.

This isn't a slam at JDM. He is a good hitter, but that looks like a career year to me.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 12, 2018 -> 06:58 PM)
I agree. Could you imagine a 3-4-5 of Abreu-Martinez-Jimenez? That’s 100+ HRs easy at the Cell.

Not only that but JD Martinez hits a lot like Avi in that he hits a lot to the opposite field. If there was one guy I think could teach/influence Avi to hit for more power it's JD Martinez.

'

'

;

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 13, 2018 -> 10:54 PM)
No.

too high of a price for a DH.

Agreed. He also doesn't match the window at all. His contract will be terrible by the time the whitesox are good.

Awful idea. If they want a DH type there are veteran guys on the market. Duda for example. Bautista. Holliday. There is also internal options in Sheets. Fisher and Gilaspie

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Jan 13, 2018 -> 09:42 PM)
Agreed. He also doesn't match the window at all. His contract will be terrible by the time the whitesox are good.

Awful idea. If they want a DH type there are veteran guys on the market. Duda for example. Bautista. Holliday. There is also internal options in Sheets. Fisher and Gilaspie

Sheets and Fisher?

Ummmmm.... maybe in 2020?

I don’t like people referring to J.D. Martinez as simply a “1B/DH” type, as if he’s exchangeable with these other scrubs. The dude is a top 5 to 10 hitter in all of baseball. He’d instantly transform our lineup into one of the better ones in the AL. Again, if the market is so suppressed this year that the best he can do is say 5/$125M come spring training, I’d be 100% willing to do that deal. I most definitely think someone gives him closer to 6/$180M before it’s all said & done though.

The White Sox aren't going to sign him. He is a great hitter, but there are red flags other than defensively he leaves a lot to be desired. In his 4 full major league seasons, he has missed at least 39 games 3 times, he is coming off a career year where he more than doubled his HR rate from the previous season. Regression is a real good possibility. And the White Sox aren't ready to contend in 2018, and really a lot would have to go right for it to happen in 2019, so you are paying for his logically most productive seasons for really no reason other than to say JD Martinez is on the roster, and they will have spent money for nothing they could have spent on need when it was more appropriate.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 14, 2018 -> 01:11 AM)
Sheets and Fisher?

Ummmmm.... maybe in 2020?

I mean Fisher is already 24 he's at the age where he'll either advance a couple of levels next year or be viewed as a non prospect.

You sign Martinez you basically block him along with Gillaspie. Also at some point Burger with his frame maybe moved to 1B too.

I don't want the 1B/DH position clogged with any FA for 5 years even someone of good a hitter as Martinez and 2020 is pretty much the plan Hahn set out at his end of season press conference last year. He'll be what 33 and on his steep decline phase. No thanks.

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Jan 14, 2018 -> 05:58 AM)
I mean Fisher is already 24 he's at the age where he'll either advance a couple of levels next year or be viewed as a non prospect.

You sign Martinez you basically block him along with Gillaspie. Also at some point Burger with his frame maybe moved to 1B too.

I don't want the 1B/DH position clogged with any FA for 5 years even someone of good a hitter as Martinez and 2020 is pretty much the plan Hahn set out at his end of season press conference last year. He'll be what 33 and on his steep decline phase. No thanks.

Well that makes much more sense laid out like that - but Sheets is no where near the bigs for sure.