Cold Stove - Free Agents Still on the table

he gone.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 09:29 AM)
You guys know me, so you won't be surprised by my question: Is there a left handed, middle of the order bat, somewhere in this discussion for a big free agent acquisition? Why not wait for Harper? He would fulfill that wish.

There's Mike Moustakas. He hit 38 bombs last year but his OBP and only average defense drag down his WAR.I anticipate a huge hole needing to be filled when the Sox can't outbid everyone of Machado, Donaldson or Arenado and I'm not sure Donaldson would be a good idea at his age or if Machado will decide not to be a SS. Moustakas would fill that LH power void and fill that huge hole at 3rd base.

Many here don't like him since we are still supposedly 2 years away from 2020 but even then he will be 31 , Donaldson 34. I have seen people saying Donaldson will age well while but I don't see how anyone can derive that while at the same time dismissing Moustakas. Miore than likely the Sox won't sign Moose and probably take their chances on Yolmer, Davidson, Burger or Machado and Arenado but those options seem far fetched in my mind . I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell the Sox outbid everyone for the huge names out there and unless Davidson can show us way more than he has so far or Yolmer can hit 25 bombs a year 3rd base will be a glaring hole.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 11:59 AM)
There's Mike Moustakas. He hit 38 bombs last year but his OBP and only average defense drag down his WAR.I anticipate a huge hole needing to be filled when the Sox can't outbid everyone of Machado, Donaldson or Arenado and I'm not sure Donaldson would be a good idea at his age or if Machado will decide not to be a SS. Moustakas would fill that LH power void and fill that huge hole at 3rd base.

Many here don't like him since we are still supposedly 2 years away from 2020 but even then he will be 31 , Donaldson 34. I have seen people saying Donaldson will age well while but I don't see how anyone can derive that while at the same time dismissing Moustakas. Miore than likely the Sox won't sign Moose and probably take their chances on Yolmer, Davidson, Burger or Machado and Arenado but those options seem far fetched in my mind . I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell the Sox outbid everyone for the huge names out there and unless Davidson can show us way more than he has so far or Yolmer can hit 25 bombs a year 3rd base will be a glaring hole.

Mike Moustakas isn't very good and the Sox won't be interested in forfeiting a top 45 draft pick and $2 million in draft bonus pool space to sign him to play for a non-contender. It just doesn't make any sense at this point.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 10:18 AM)
Mike Moustakas isn't very good and the Sox won't be interested in forfeiting a top 45 draft pick and $2 million in draft bonus pool space to sign him to play for a non-contender. It just doesn't make any sense at this point.

I know the Sox won't sign him but it's more for the draft pick and bonus money than him not being very good. I realize I am often stuck in the past because when you saw a .275 batting average 38 HRs 835 OPS . 521 Slg that always implied someone was pretty good. To see him constantly disparaged for his OBP and other deficiencies while he's made 2 All Stars teams in the past 3 years is sort of strange.

If he's not considered good then I would like to take a poll of Sox fans and ask them if they would take his 2017 numbers at 3rd base when they are contending. Yea I know last year might be an outlier but he is in the old school prime of his career and if he's not good then some of the new things that we use to tell if a player is good or not devalue too many things. I truly love defense and his isn't that good I can give you that but if anyone thinks Yolmers D makes up for the fact he isn't a LH middle of the order bat like Moustakas then defense and OBP is extremely over rated in todays game and the reason why power hitter have been devalued also in todays game. . Exhibit A Jason Heyward. I'll take his offense and passable D at 3rd every time.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 12:47 PM)
I know the Sox won't sign him but it's more for the draft pick and bonus money than him not being very good. I realize I am often stuck in the past because when you saw a .275 batting average 38 HRs 835 OPS . 521 Slg that always implied someone was pretty good. To see him constantly disparaged for his OBP and other deficiencies while he's made 2 All Stars teams in the past 3 years is sort of strange.

If he's not considered good then I would like to take a poll of Sox fans and ask them if they would take his 2017 numbers at 3rd base when they are contending. Yea I know last year might be an outlier but he is in the old school prime of his career and if he's not good then some of the new things that we use to tell if a player is good or not devalue too many things. I truly love defense and his isn't that good I can give you that but if anyone thinks Yolmers D makes up for the fact he isn't a LH middle of the order bat like Moustakas then defense and OBP is extremely over rated in todays game and the reason why power hitter have been devalued also in todays game. . Exhibit A Jason Heyward. I'll take his offense and passable D at 3rd every time.

His road stats, from last year, are even more impressive. 24 HR, in 74 games, suggests that he might be very productive in our ballpark.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 10:19 AM)
Hector Santiago – From memory, and not numbers, I remember his time with the Sox being pretty good.

I'm not good at this quoting thing ... I wanted to just highlight the Hector blurb. oh well.

I guess Rick Hahn reads the board..

Hey rick, go get Cahill next. And trade for Profar.

Edited by Eminor3rd
I gotchu, Boo

I would look at someone like CarGo on a 1 year deal and see if his health can hold up a bit better alternating at DH with an eye on flipping him at the deadline. I would also check in on Jaime Garcia as another sign and flip guy.

Both guys you get to hold spots through July, if they rebound, you deal them to a contender for some assets, if not you waive them in August when/if you need roster space for young guys.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 02:58 PM)
I would look at someone like CarGo on a 1 year deal and see if his health can hold up a bit better alternating at DH with an eye on flipping him at the deadline. I would also check in on Jaime Garcia as another sign and flip guy.

Both guys you get to hold spots through July, if they rebound, you deal them to a contender for some assets, if not you waive them in August when/if you need roster space for young guys.

Cargo would be perfect as long as he is platooned

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 06:47 PM)
If he's not considered good then I would like to take a poll of Sox fans and ask them if they would take his 2017 numbers at 3rd base when they are contending.

I'd take his production. I think he's pretty good, but I also love Davidson and think I'm in the vast minority there.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 02:58 PM)

Garcia just signed with Jays 1 year 10 million

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 11:29 AM)
His road stats, from last year, are even more impressive. 24 HR, in 74 games, suggests that he might be very productive in our ballpark.

There's also Logan Morrison. He's LH primarily DH /!b and if you like road splits his were insane . Over a 1.000 OPS. He also knows how to take a walk which not a lot of Sox know how to do besides Moncada..

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 16, 2018 -> 12:25 PM)
There's also Logan Morrison. He's LH primarily DH /!b and if you like road splits his were insane . Over a 1.000 OPS. He also knows how to take a walk which not a lot of Sox know how to do besides Moncada..

This. As we add talent we need to add guys that walk and don't strikeout as much.

I Know we've focused on this in the past few drafts, but wouldn't be bad to add FA who have a history of doing so too.

I have no problem with free swingers. I actually kind of like it. However if you have a whole team of those guys it can kill a rally prerty quickly.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 12:20 PM)
Morosi floats Moose to the Sox:

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-white-sox-...kas/c-266762670

He's simply talking about fit, no real connection there. I am against it simply because I don't think Moustakas is a very good baseball player for the money he is going to get, but here we are.

One National League executive said Monday that the Yankees and White Sox have the best chances to land Moustakas, based on current market conditions.

I'd hate this. That sounds like more than just fit to me.

Also, I think this is thread worthy- I came here to post it but don't want to steal your thunder

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 06:08 AM)
That Heyman and Morosi are the main pushers of these narratives tells me all I need to know on whether to believe it.

Morosi, to me, is the most inaccurate guy who actually gets a lot of face time on MLB Network. I don't think it's even close. Heyman is a Boras mouthpiece. That is well known, but he throws a lot of his own opinions out there. Rosenthal, to me, is the king, and he's on the DL.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 06:16 AM)
Morosi, to me, is the most inaccurate guy who actually gets a lot of face time on MLB Network. I don't think it's even close. Heyman is a Boras mouthpiece. That is well known, but he throws a lot of his own opinions out there. Rosenthal, to me, is the king, and he's on the DL.

Morosi is actually a really sharp baseball guy...far more so than Heyman. He just doesn’t seem to be a great reported. Heyman is a really good reporter...terrible analyst.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 08:16 AM)

What do you mean by Rosenthals on the DL?