McCutchen to the Giants

Sleepy Harold

Sorry -- I've been out of it for a bit on the Giants since they did absolutely horrible last year...

... Why does this make sense for the Giants? Trading for an impending free agent ageing CF when they came off a terrible season? Don't they need to rebuild or is their legitimate chance that they can contend?

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 02:25 PM)
Sorry -- I've been out of it for a bit on the Giants since they did absolutely horrible last year...

... Why does this make sense for the Giants? Trading for an impending free agent ageing CF when they came off a terrible season? Don't they need to rebuild or is their legitimate chance that they can contend?

They probably SHOULD rebuild, but want to go for it one more time, probably while Posey and Bumgarner can still contribute. They should be flush in cash after their 3 titles.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 03:50 PM)
They probably SHOULD rebuild, but want to go for it one more time, probably while Posey and Bumgarner can still contribute. They should be flush in cash after their 3 titles.

Apparently they also own a lot of the land around their stadium after buying it up in the 1990s, so they are absolutely rich as **** right now.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 03:25 PM)

1. The Giants have decided to continue to push inward until the whole thing collapses in a spectacular, molten heap -- kind of like the Phillies did.

2. Perhaps surprisingly, the Giants had literally the worst OF in ALL OF BASEBALL by fWAR last year, and their OF doesn't have anyone that seems likely to bounce back, so even league average players are substantial upgrades.

3. The price to get McCutchen was very small, and because of the pending reckoning referenced in (1), a short term acquisition may serve them better than a big free agent contract at this juncture.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 06:04 PM)
JD Martinez must be going to Boston then. Giants were going hard after him.

Who are their corner OFs? Pence is there but was rotten last year, I'm finding Gorkys Hernandez and Jarrett Parker on their roster and I barely know them beyond the name Gorkys because they're nothing special. Am I missing someone else they traded for or something? Because they could still use an OF in my eyes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 04:30 PM)
I am not a fan of the idea of McCutchen in that CF. He wasn't terrible last year in CF but he was awful in CF in 2016. I dunno what injury he played through that year, but this seems to play to his weaknesses.

Apparently, they've decided to play Pence in LF, Austin Slater (?), one of their better prospects in CF and McCutcheon in RF.

I don't know...maybe if Longoria can improve his offensive numbers outside of the AL, they can be in the race. It all comes down to Bumgarner, Cueto and that suspect bullpen.

Btw, has any team made an offer on Matt Cain?

I would think he MIGHT be a decent innings-eater candidate if we can sign him for $3-4 million + some reasonable incentives to flip him at the deadline to a contender, but that's probably a long shot he can ever recover his form of 5 years ago (see Lincecum).

QUOTE (fredmanrique @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 07:30 PM)
I bet they'd love to move that pence contract. Avi and shedding the pence contract, which has one year left for heliot Ramos.

sounds like he's a legit top 50 guy in the next rankings...

and a top 50 guy is fairly great for 2 years of Avi

I don't see it. They kept Ramos as an untouchable for both the Andrew and Longo trades. Maybe. around the deadline if Avi is still hitting and they start to get desperate.

if they want to maximize this all in 1-2 year period it would be quite helpful to turn dead money pence at 18 mil into Avi and something like Holland to close.

Maybe even have money under the soft cap left for Dyson in center.

That's a team with a slight chance and if it all implodes in 18 months, that's the risk anyway. Having one prospect won't stop the half decade tear down that would be necessary if it doesn't work for them

Edited by fredmanrique

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 06:13 PM)
Apparently, they've decided to play Pence in LF, Austin Slater (?), one of their better prospects in CF and McCutcheon in RF.

I don't know...maybe if Longoria can improve his offensive numbers outside of the AL, they can be in the race. It all comes down to Bumgarner, Cueto and that suspect bullpen.

Btw, has any team made an offer on Matt Cain?

I would think he MIGHT be a decent innings-eater candidate if we can sign him for $3-4 million + some reasonable incentives to flip him at the deadline to a contender, but that's probably a long shot he can ever recover his form of 5 years ago (see Lincecum).

He retired at the end of this season.

Link

QUOTE (fredmanrique @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 07:30 PM)
I bet they'd love to move that pence contract. Avi and shedding the pence contract, which has one year left for heliot Ramos.

sounds like he's a legit top 50 guy in the next rankings...

and a top 50 guy is fairly great for 2 years of Avi

Fred, are you really advocating trading Avi for 17 year old Heliot Ramos, who has one year of Rookie Ball under his belt? After the year Avi just had?

Well, I'd like to leverage an $81M payroll to take on money and think pence is perfect and there should be motivation to dump him.

Moving Avi to clear RF for Eloy makes sense. I'm fine keeping Avi and seeing if he forces us to want to keep him long term too.

Soo... I'm interested in getting as much talent as Avi + a bad contract yields to get legit top 50 talent.

If that means Ramos +, and that is universally more than we would get for Avi alone, sure. More assets that either play alongside eloy and robert in the future or help fill holes down the road.