Luis Robert

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 04:47 PM)
It kinda makes me question the scouting on this guy if all of a sudden he's gone from a corner type with average speed to a CF with above average or even borderline great speed. Like, are the stopwatches in Cuba subject to time dilation? You'd think the one thing they could pin down would be his running ability. He's what, 19, so it's not like he's developed a ton from a 14 year old kid since the time of those reports last year.

Maybe he was injured and is now 100%? That's the only thing I can think of that would result in such a scouting report change on his speed.

What are you talking about? He ran a 6.2 60. That's 80 grade speed. He may move to a corner at some point because the bat plays there but it's been pretty universal from the Sox that he's a CF. Now others are saying the same.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 09:56 PM)
What are you talking about? He ran a 6.2 60. That's 80 grade speed. He may move to a corner at some point because the bat plays there but it's been pretty universal from the Sox that he's a CF. Now others are saying the same.

I do think even with that there was the "unofficial" timing of it and the chance that when he was prepping for his showcase he was learning how to run the 60 fast and that wouldn't necessarily translate.

It's ridiculous but after he signed and then disappeared and then was going to be in DSL all summer and was injured, it just felt like no news is bad news for a prospect (and outta site outta mind too). So if this was only the sox saying he looks great its one thing, but for the BA and Fangraphs guys to say he looks legit, it doesn't mean he's an all star but to me it's a relief.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 10:06 PM)
I do think even with that there was the "unofficial" timing of it and the chance that when he was prepping for his showcase he was learning how to run the 60 fast and that wouldn't necessarily translate.

It's ridiculous but after he signed and then disappeared and then was going to be in DSL all summer and was injured, it just felt like no news is bad news for a prospect (and outta site outta mind too). So if this was only the sox saying he looks great its one thing, but for the BA and Fangraphs guys to say he looks legit, it doesn't mean he's an all star but to me it's a relief.

I agree there. Those guys acknowledged before that they hadn't really seen him. I expect he'll be universally top 25-30 everywhere on prospect lists.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 05:06 PM)
one of the absolute dumbest tropes in baseball scouting. There isn't a single scout in any other pro sport that thinks guys will slow down as they add muscle. That's just something out of like 1960 thinking. As if they are just training biceps! Come on.

Sosa went from a similar physique (shorter/less rangy) to Luis Robert to a tank, but adding bulk/strength due to steroids is quite different than "fast twitch" leg muscles...

Robert, fwiw, mostly played the corners due to the composition of his Cuban team.

There's always going to be a difference between "quick first step" and then "fast after getting up to full speed" (see Avi Garcia)...some athletes have both qualities, but it's fairly rare. Heck, even Usain Bolt usually doesn't get a great jump out of the starter's block, and he was the fastest runner of his generation.

Whether Moncada, Saladino, Anderson, Leury Garcia or Robert is the fastest Sox runner, there are so many different ways of measuring it.

Home to first. 40/50/60 on a track or workout speed with running shoes and a starter's block or standing start? Baseball conditions, with spikes? Home to 3rd? 1st to home? Then there are all those modern statcast trackers of speed to a ball in the outfield.

My personal feeling is that he's a 70 or 75...and is likely to maintain at least 70 speed, at the minimum.

Edited by caulfield12

Okay, so with all the talk about speed, this is something I've been thinking of. In a couple years lets say the outfield is LF Rutherford/Delmonico, CF Robert. RF Jimenez. We bring Engel in as a late game replacement. We want to keep Jimenez's bat in the lineup and he has a better arm so he stays and LF goes out. We now have two guys with crazy range and one guy with a big arm. Do you do the conventional thing and move Engel to CF, Robert to RF and Eloy to LF? Or do you put the fast guys in the corners so that they can combine to effectively cover most of the field and leave Eloy in center to nail throws if anything hangs in the air when a runner is on base?

I don't think they want to risk an injury to Jimenez playing him in CF (might feel more pressured to make a play he shouldn't try to make). The other main issue is his limited range out there isn't going to be overcompensated for by this arm...think Viciedo trying to play that position, or Nelson Cruz.

Highly doubt Engel's even around to be the 4th outfielder at that time, we'll probably have a few more veterans in the mix with experience coming off the bench in big situations offensively or defensively.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 06:18 PM)
I kinda feel like we're having this exact same discussion about Leury and I feel like he added some muscle and slowed down a bit.

This happened to Yolmer and he was already not that fast to begin with.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 11:30 AM)
Remember, the athletic is a pay to play content provider and the entire media industry has been upheaved, with many writers losing their jobs, etc. Stuff behind a paywall can't be shared. People are welcome to post general summaries, but if you want to read the full article, you should subscribe. By all accounts the content on the athletic is absolutely fantastic.

yeah...It's really pretty cheap and has some fantastic articles...for all the Chicago teams. Thanks to this site for turning me on to it.....much appreciated...and well worth the quiche! (and this coming from a guy that HATES to pay for anything online)....

Eric Longenhagen was on with Cistulli for Fangraphs Audio and talked about the hitters camp the sox held and he attended

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/category/podcast/

Starts I think minute 30 or maybe a bit earlier.

First talks about Jake Burger and how he likes his power but just has a hard time believing his body can be at third base.

Then it gets into Robert.

Choice quotes:

"The power was un-bee-liev-able"

"In tools, he's up there with acuna, tatis"

Talks about the questions will continue on his hit tool. But mentioned how some prospects get punished for lack of info while others get rewarded.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 11:51 AM)
As I heard someone say once...

"Carson Cistulli is definitely an acquired taste, and I've definitely acquired it."

I find it ironic you have a quote from DFW as your sig but like Carson. DFW's brilliance and self awareness and humility is about as far from Carson's style as it gets, author wise.

Carson is the type of writer I find insufferable. The constant self promotion, the false humility passing as real humility, the "quirkiness" that he lays on thicker than the butter on an obese person's bread -- I can't stand it.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 01:24 PM)
I find it ironic you have a quote from DFW as your sig but like Carson. DFW's brilliance and self awareness and humility is about as far from Carson's style as it gets, author wise.

Carson is the type of writer I find insufferable. The constant self promotion, the false humility passing as real humility, the "quirkiness" that he lays on thicker than the butter on an obese person's bread -- I can't stand it.

I love Cistulli, other than his often belabored way of getting to a topic. He rambles too much, but I love his choice of phrasing and quirky humor.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 01:24 PM)

Why are you comparing Carson Cistulli to david foster wallace?