2018 MiLB White Sox news and notes

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 09:38 AM)
Going off no facts and just a straight guess, I see it more like July.

Any chance he is the 26th man and makes a spot start when we play the Royals in the double header? I guess it would depend on if they want to make a 40-man roster move that early or not (Rodon is currently on the 10-day dl and could probably be transferred to the 60-day).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 09:50 AM)
IMO he's up sometime mid-May and they will DFA Miggy. They shouldn't waste his arm on AAA,let him learn at the big league level once you secure his extra year of service time.

I doubt the Sox would do that. They obviously like him enough to resign him after trading him, I doubt they would just dump him after 6 weeks. I honestly think they'll wait until June or July until they can trade him for literally anything (probably nothing) and then bring Kopech up.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 10:05 AM)
I doubt the Sox would do that. They obviously like him enough to resign him after trading him, I doubt they would just dump him after 6 weeks. I honestly think they'll wait until June or July until they can trade him for literally anything (probably nothing) and then bring Kopech up.

They also gave him $5 million to come back. I think Shields is out the door before Miguel is, unless Gonzalez absolutely craters.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 09:44 AM)
Any chance he is the 26th man and makes a spot start when we play the Royals in the double header? I guess it would depend on if they want to make a 40-man roster move that early or not (Rodon is currently on the 10-day dl and could probably be transferred to the 60-day).

Welp, I was close.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 09:36 AM)
I'm in a fantasy league right now with deep rosters. We have one NA spot. I have both Kopech and Eloy so I keep one on my bench. You guys think Kopech will be up in the next month, making it worth it for me to just stash him on the bench?

I think he’s up by early June.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 01:33 PM)
Couple of International signees the past couple days

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2P...amp;single=true

Interesting. Glad to see them grabbing some guys as we near the deadline for this period. Might as well leave as little money as possible behind.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 01:38 PM)
Interesting quote from Dunning...

@WSDashBaseball

“[@whitesox starter James Shields] showed me a different grip to use for the curve...That's been a big plus for me.”

-@Ddunning33 on one of the keys to his hot start

Seems like Shields has been really willing to work with the kids, which is nice.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 01:36 PM)
Interesting. Glad to see them grabbing some guys as we near the deadline for this period. Might as well leave as little money as possible behind.

From the guys I could find any info on, they seem to be older prospects. Considering several were pitchers, they are probably guys who developed late and are just being discovered now. Also, for signings under $10,000 (which many of these older ones probably are) the money doesn't count against the bonus pool, so we could be out of money and still sign those guys.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 01:44 PM)
From the guys I could find any info on, they seem to be older prospects. Considering several were pitchers, they are probably guys who developed late and are just being discovered now. Also, for signings under $10,000 (which many of these older ones probably are) the money doesn't count against the bonus pool, so we could be out of money and still sign those guys.

Pitchers usually come on later, so that isn't abnormal.

I'm going to create a post for FutureSox as soon as Badler's international review goes up

Exactly what a few of us have been talking about doing (in a much smaller scale)

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 02:26 PM)
Exactly what a few of us have been talking about doing (in a much smaller scale)

Well we might be able to get at least one big name, even though he may or may not be a big talent. This article mainly talking about Acuna's brother links us to Miguel Tejada Jr. for next J2:

But Acuna isn't the only recognizable name on the international market.

Miguel Tejada Jr., the son of former Major League shortstop Miguel Tejada, will also be eligible to sign July 2. A former outfielder, the younger Tejada could end up at third base. The 6-foot slugger has shown good bat speed, good hands and strong arm. He also projects to be an average runner. The White Sox are among the teams that have been linked to him.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 11:04 PM)
We can, just not for more than $300k. It sounds like he is an okay prospect, but nothing crazy, and bonuses are down with the new hard pools, so we should be able to sign him for $300k.

Thanks, appreciate the explanation

I'd love that...wonder if it's better to get a handful of okay prospects or go all out for a Robert

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 10:20 PM)
Thanks, appreciate the explanation

I'd love that...wonder if it's better to get a handful of okay prospects or go all out for a Robert

Kiley McDaniel was talking about this in his chat a while back: whether its better to spend all your money on a few (or one) high upside guys or spread it out over a ton of lower level guys. There are so many guys who simply develop later and get passed over in their initial J2 or are very risky that you would be able to sign cheap, and we see so many of them in the majors, its weird no teams spread the money out. The only real downside is that you would have to operate several DSL teams and that would cost an extra few million per year.

The strategy I think we should use is to go after the big guys when we can, but concentrate on the lower level guys because we don't really have the big international draw like some other teams do, so we would be working at a disadvantage going against other bigger name teams for the same guys. I would have us operate two DSL teams standard and add more if we go big on a few guys and then pick up a ton of sub $10k guys. This would make sure we are always bring in good numbers to increase our odds, and when we do go for the big guy, bringing in even more guys to make up for the lower talent level of the players besides the big one.