2018 MiLB White Sox news and notes

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Not if the White Sox are winning games and championships and he's the leader of the team.

Even if he isn't.  If he becomes a good, valuable productive player that is a contributor that's all you can ask.  If he is that, then the only way I think a rational fan could be upset is if a guy like India becomes an MVP type player.

What is gained by being catty about who you will pick? So the Reds think we may pick Singer:  okay, if we pick him they can pick any of the rest, if we don't,they pick who's left.   it's not like you can trade picks.  I can see if it if, say, a team had a comp pick in the top 10 plus their own top 10  - in that case, who they pick would involve strategy as well as picking the best player available.

Otherwise, maybe it helps in contract negotiation to show that you didn't complete focus on one guy; and the drama and uncertainty is good for draft show ratings.  But basically it boils down to a FO not wanting to say who they would have picked if they guy they did pick wasn't available.

Edited by GreenSox

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

What is gained by being catty about who you will pick? So the Reds think we may pick Singer:  okay, if we pick him they can pick any of the rest, if we don't,they pick who's left.   it's not like you can trade picks.  I can see if it if, say, a team had a comp pick in the top 10 plus their own top 10  - in that case, who they pick would involve strategy as well as picking the best player available.

Otherwise, maybe it helps in contract negotiation to show that you didn't complete focus on one guy; and the drama and uncertainty is good for draft show ratings.  But basically it boils down to a FO not wanting to say who they would have picked if they guy they did pick wasn't available.

I think the goal is to keep Philadelphia from knowing how much you want Madrigal.  If they are split between Madrigal and Bohm, which it seems they were, then you don’t want your strong interest to tip the scales.  Also, you have to negotiate with Madrigal before you pick him.  It’s helpful if his adviser doesn’t know he’s number 2 on your board.

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

I think the goal is to keep Philadelphia from knowing how much you want Madrigal.  If they are split between Madrigal and Bohm, which it seems they were, then you don’t want your strong interest to tip the scales.  Also, you have to negotiate with Madrigal before you pick him.  It’s helpful if his adviser doesn’t know he’s number 2 on your board.

Not sure I agree someone will take him just because you like them. Bigger issue may be making sure teams ahead with similar rankings do not take your guy and pay him below your slot. Since those teams are ahead of you all draft you don’t want them consistently at a bigger money advantage

7 hours ago, Timmy U said:

If Philadelphia picks a guy because the White Sox like him, they need to fire their entire staff.