2018 MiLB White Sox news and notes

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Thanks.  Hope it's Friday. Got seats 2nd row behind home plate.

Just like the major league clubs, the minor league clubs often use their All Star breaks to rearrange their rotations. So I wouldn't put any money down on any date until things get going again.

1 minute ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Just like the major league clubs, the minor league clubs often use their All Star breaks to rearrange their rotations. So I wouldn't put any money down on any date until things get going again.

I kind of assumed as much. Can always resell as needed. Thanks.

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

A parargraph from that scouting report is really confusing me

The slider has excellent bite and works in the low-80s. He gets surprising run on the slider. Most guys get arm side run on their slider, but his works glove side, and that seems to really throw off hitters to see slider spin from a right-handed thrower that breaks toward the left-handed batting box.

That's....that's what a slider is supposed to do. Right? Or am I taking crazy pills?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Hansen falling off the list completely is pretty absurd IMO.  Also a bit surprised Collins didn’t make the bottom of the list.

Realistically, you could make a case for a number of players falling into the "just missed" category.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

If Basabe finishes the year strong, does he sneak into any top 100s? 

If he was in the Yankees system he would.  Basabe absolutely dominated High A as a 21 year old.  I feel like he’s getting penalized way too much for repeating the league despite the fact his struggles last year were tied to an injury.    I can understand a kid like Florial being viewed at the better prospect, but I don’t see that much of a difference if I’m being honest.  Basabe is a year older and may not have as loud of tools, but he provides a very similar skillset IMO.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Realistically, you could make a case for a number of players falling into the "just missed" category.

Oh I agree, I think all of Rutherford, Adolfo, & Basabe will crack some top 100 lists in addition to Collins.  I’m just surprised that Zack is not on there despite being 3rd in the Southern League in wRC+ as age approximate 23 year old.  As a 1B prospect alone he should make it IMO, the fact he might be able to stick at catcher only adds value.

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

4 in the top 50, and 6 in the top 100.  You can't do much better than that.

It's impressive considering no Hansen, Rutherford, Adolfo, Basabe or Collins as well as Burger being hurt.  Still amazes me that Cease isn't a top 30 guy.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If he was in the Yankees system he would.  Basabe absolutely dominated High A as a 21 year old.  I feel like he’s getting penalized way too much for repeating the league despite the fact his struggles last year were tied to an injury.    I can understand a kid like Florial being viewed at the better prospect, but I don’t see that much of a difference if I’m being honest.  Basabe is a year older and may not have as loud of tools, but he provides a very similar skillset IMO.

If he finishes strong, he'll move up a lot. The Futures Game definitely didn't hurt his reputation 

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

It's impressive considering no Hansen, Rutherford, Adolfo, Basabe or Collins as well as Burger being hurt.  Still amazes me that Cease isn't a top 30 guy.

I think the MLBPipeline mid-season list will have a few more guys.  Hansen, Rutherford, & Collins would be my guesses.