2018 MiLB White Sox news and notes

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Replacing whom?

No clue.

1 hour ago, MnSoxFan said:

Tomshaw was sent back to Birmingham.

I don't think that covers it. I still count 26 active players on the roster. Weird thing is Charlotte's twitter said the active roster was at 25 with the move. Either someone else is going to be released, or someone's getting DL'd.

10 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

No clue.

I don't think that covers it. I still count 26 active players on the roster. Weird thing is Charlotte's twitter said the active roster was at 25 with the move. Either someone else is going to be released, or someone's getting DL'd.

Gillaspie is on the DL and the roster does not show that. He went on DL 4-5 days ago.

• Thanks 1

Dylan Cease, RHP, Chicago White Sox (Profile)
Level: Double-A   Age: 22   Org Rank: 9   FV: 45+
Line: 7 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 12 K

Notes
This was the best start of Cease’s career. He has posted a 10% walk rate since being acquired by the White Sox, while big-league average is about 8%. Cease is a pretty strong candidate for late-blooming fastball command. He missed a year of development due to a surgery and will receive every opportunity to work with different coaches and orgs throughout his career as long as he throws as hard as he does. It might click at any time. But for now it’s realistic to assume that when Cease debuts in the next year or so he’ll probably be pitching with 40 control. Is there precedence for success among starting pitchers with a plus fastball, plus curveball, and a fringey collection of other stuff? Charlie Morton and German Marquez are two very encouraging examples, Sal Romano less so. Sean Newcomb looked like he’d have to be that guy but his changeup came along. It will take a pretty specific approach to pitching, but Cease should be fine with what he’s already working with. 

daily prospect notes 7 26 18

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What happened to Andre Davis, LHP Sox acquired in the Melky deal last year?  I remember thinking he was fairly inteersting, but he hasn't pitched at all this year.

Thanks for the info! 

Knee surgery, 60-day DL, was set to miss most or all of the year. Might return late, or for fall ball.

23 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Why is Nick Madrigal still in Kanny? This is pretty long for a rehab stint

I've been belly aching about this for 2 weeks. Advanced hit tool, great eye, excellent defense. Should be in the bigs next year, and the Sox

are spoon feeding him.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Wasn't it said that he would be assigned to Winston-Salem, with stops along the way? Making this an "unofficial" rehab stint, I guess? 

They said an A-ball club, maybe Winston-Salem, but none of it was rehab. In AZL they took him slow a couple games at first to make sure he was healthy, but even that didn't really count as rehab.

15 hours ago, zisk said:

I've been belly aching about this for 2 weeks. Advanced hit tool, great eye, excellent defense. Should be in the bigs next year, and the Sox

are spoon feeding him.

COULD be up in late '19, but ETA is probably more of a mid-2020

No reason to rush him, let him master KAN first