2018 MiLB White Sox news and notes

southsider2k5

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:19 PM, NorthSideSox72 said:

Not sure Bust is the right word. He's never been healthy enough to pitch any significant number of innings. I guess I think of "bust" as a player who doesn't meet expectations on the field, so I'm not sure it counts if he's never on the damn field.

Fortunately he was just a throw-in, 4th player in a deal. No big loss if he doesn't turn out.

Diaz certainly wasn't a big deal to Boston.  Sox gave them Sale, Boston gives up three players plus Diaz.  I wish my memory were better.  Less than two years ago, that trade was made, and I can't remember if Diaz was considered just a throw-in at the time, or did Hahn actually portray him to be a valid prospect, which he wasn't.

Chris Freaking Sale should have returned more.  Boston was loaded with valid prospects, and Hahn should not have settled for a throw-in.  

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

Diaz certainly wasn't a big deal to Boston.  Sox gave them Sale, Boston gives up three players plus Diaz.  I wish my memory were better.  Less than two years ago, that trade was made, and I can't remember if Diaz was considered just a throw-in at the time, or did Hahn actually portray him to be a valid prospect, which he wasn't.

Chris Freaking Sale should have returned more.  Boston was loaded with valid prospects, and Hahn should not have settled for a throw-in.  

What on earth are you talking about? The return was literally the #1 prospect in baseball at the time (or 2 or 3 for some folks), and one of the top 2-3 pitching prospects in baseball at the time, and a borderline T100 outfielder, AND also a guy who throws 100 as a throw-in. The return for Sale was enormous. No one "settled for a throw-in".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

What on earth are you talking about? The return was literally the #1 prospect in baseball at the time (or 2 or 3 for some folks), and one of the top 2-3 pitching prospects in baseball at the time, and a borderline T100 outfielder, AND also a guy who throws 100 as a throw-in. The return for Sale was enormous. No one "settled for a throw-in".

This needs to be quoted, just so it can be seen again.  Revisionist history isn't accurate here.

White Sox sign C Darrell Miller to a minor league deal. He just turned 25 and is only played in A-ball.

What confuses me about his B-R page is that in 2017 rookie ball with the Royals after he got drafted he hit .376 with 5 HR, and a 25/25 K/BB ratio. 

Then he got traded to the Dodgers and got sent to A-ball where he hit .310/.365/.612 for an OPS of .977 in 15 games before he was released. 

He finished up his 2018 season in Indy ball with the Schaumburg team.

Just a weird career path. Maybe the Dodgers just had no room for him, but having only had success so far, it's strange to think he had to go play for an Indy ball team halfway through the year.

21 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

White Sox sign C Darrell Miller to a minor league deal. He just turned 25 and is only played in A-ball.

What confuses me about his B-R page is that in 2017 rookie ball with the Royals after he got drafted he hit .376 with 5 HR, and a 25/25 K/BB ratio. 

Then he got traded to the Dodgers and got sent to A-ball where he hit .310/.365/.612 for an OPS of .977 in 15 games before he was released. 

He finished up his 2018 season in Indy ball with the Schaumburg team.

Just a weird career path. Maybe the Dodgers just had no room for him, but having only had success so far, it's strange to think he had to go play for an Indy ball team halfway through the year.

He was drafted in 2012, but didn't sign. Went to school 4 years, didn't get drafted again. Signed as UDFA in 2017 at 23, played only half time. And he was 23 in the PIO so the numbers need to be taken with a lot of salt. 2018 he was 24, playing as a bench guy. Basically, he's not a prospect, he's just an org soldier, and he's consistently played much older than average.

7 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Northsider, I never complained about the top 3 guys in that trade, certainly not when the deal was made.  You're the one who called Diaz a throw in.  Sox Ace call him a bust.

It's one thing to get a throw in as part of a minor trade, but not for CFS.  You never answered my question.  At the time of the trade, was Diaz portrayed by Hahn as a throw in, or a valid prospect?  That's all I asked.  Again, "Throw in" was your term, not mine.

3 hours ago, oldsox said:

Northsider, I never complained about the top 3 guys in that trade, certainly not when the deal was made.  You're the one who called Diaz a throw in.  Sox Ace call him a bust.

It's one thing to get a throw in as part of a minor trade, but not for CFS.  You never answered my question.  At the time of the trade, was Diaz portrayed by Hahn as a throw in, or a valid prospect?  That's all I asked.  Again, "Throw in" was your term, not mine.

This is some weird circular logic. You were happy with the top 3 guys, but upset they also got a throw-in (aka lottery ticket) arm? Anyone who can throw triple digits and come even close to the strike zone is a prospect. He just isn't the prospect the other three are. How can you like the top 3 but be upset that they got one more, even if he's not great? You lost me.

9 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

He was drafted in 2012, but didn't sign. Went to school 4 years, didn't get drafted again. Signed as UDFA in 2017 at 23, played only half time. And he was 23 in the PIO so the numbers need to be taken with a lot of salt. 2018 he was 24, playing as a bench guy. Basically, he's not a prospect, he's just an org soldier, and he's consistently played much older than average.

Definitely not implying that he's a prospect. Just surprised he was released after successful offensive seasons.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2018/10/31/klawchat-10-31-18/

Mac: Do you think Spencer Adams has a legit shot to earn a spot in the White Sox rotation out of spring training?
Keith Law: No, nor should he. He has marginal stuff and struck out only 11% of batters he faced in AAA.

Brent : Did you get a chance to see CWS’s Burdi in the AFL? Any insight to how he’s look after TJ? Thanks.
Keith Law: I did not but Eric Longenhagen did and said he looked like he did pre-TJ (which is good).

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Mac: Do you think Spencer Adams has a legit shot to earn a spot in the White Sox rotation out of spring training?
Keith Law: No, nor should he. He has marginal stuff and struck out only 11% of batters he faced in AAA.

Brent : Did you get a chance to see CWS’s Burdi in the AFL? Any insight to how he’s look after TJ? Thanks.
Keith Law: I did not but Eric Longenhagen did and said he looked like he did pre-TJ (which is good).

Good to hear something positive about Burdi. I'm in full agreement with Law on Adams.  He's just filler at this point until he starts to strike people out.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That Burdi report is so heartening considering the last I heard on him was him sitting around 94. As for Adams, I don't really care one way or the other. If we have an extra spot, might as well try him out but I don't think anyone is saving a spot in the rotation for him. 

On 10/31/2018 at 2:18 PM, DirtySox said:

Good to hear something positive about Burdi. I'm in full agreement with Law on Adams.  He's just filler at this point until he starts to strike people out.

I think the Sox and every team in baseball are in agreement on Adams...if the Sox thought he could challenge for a spot in the  rotation, they would have protected him; and if some other team thought so, they would have taken him.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Sox picked up another 2018 signing: Wilber Sanchez INF. He played on the 2017 Venezuelan 15u team, so he is 17 maximum. Its been hard to find much on him. He pitched in a game against team USA 15u and did pretty well (at least compared to how most do), but the prospect league he is a part of repeatedly said INF for him. This was the only video I could find of his swing, but there are a bunch of other posts with him on that EBPAcademy instagram. Easiest way to see them might be to search for him on twitter and look through their instagram linked tweets. I was also able to find a two game sample from a different prospect league in which he went 2-8, 1 HR, 2 BB, 0 K, 2 SB, 1 CS.

Wilber Sánchez INF 2018

A post shared by EBPAcademy (@ebpacademy) on

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 9:24 PM, GenericUserName said:

Looks like the Sox picked up another 2018 signing: Wilber Sanchez INF. He played on the 2017 Venezuelan 15u team, so he is 17 maximum. Its been hard to find much on him. He pitched in a game against team USA 15u and did pretty well (at least compared to how most do), but the prospect league he is a part of repeatedly said INF for him. This was the only video I could find of his swing, but there are a bunch of other posts with him on that EBPAcademy instagram. Easiest way to see them might be to search for him on twitter and look through their instagram linked tweets. I was also able to find a two game sample from a different prospect league in which he went 2-8, 1 HR, 2 BB, 0 K, 2 SB, 1 CS.

Thanks! I'm going to quote and add this to the 2019 j2 thread

edit: NVM! I assumed this was a rumord pickup for next year, misread!