2018 MiLB White Sox news and notes

southsider2k5

12 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

According to baseball-reference he hasn't played a game with us

Yeah, I was thinking of Luke Shilling. Someone brought up in the AAP thread that if memory serves correctly Caranza was the guy that had the weird signing were we heard he was signed, but then he wasn't on the list the Sox released, but then he did sign later. That could have been because of this popping up on medicals and needing to renegotiate the bonus amount. If that is the case, what is interesting is that him being injured and being forced to take a lower bonus could be what allowed us to get Bryce Bush signed if Carranza's first agreed bonus was much bigger. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Did the Sox know he was going to need surgery or did this occur after the draft?

I'm sure they knew this was probably an option.  Probably why he fell to the third day.  Kid was a top 5 round talent I believe according to draft reports.

15 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Any news recently with Dunning and / or Hansen? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks!

Hansen has been taking hte ball every 5th day in WS.  Results haven't been great, but also not awful.  

Dunning is in AZ throwing.  But I haven't heard anything else on that in a couple weeks. 

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hansen has been taking hte ball every 5th day in WS.  Results haven't been great, but also not awful.  

Dunning is in AZ throwing.  But I haven't heard anything else on that in a couple weeks. 

Thank you

16 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Any news recently with Dunning and / or Hansen? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks!

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hansen has been awful. He's all over the place, not finding the zone at all.

Dunning went to AZ, but the AZL season is now over so he won't be pitching in games there. Not sure if he pitches at all before Instructs/AFL.

2 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Dunning went to AZ, but the AZL season is now over so he won't be pitching in games there. Not sure if he pitches at all before Instructs/AFL.

Did Dunning actually ever pitch in games? The only report I ever saw that he was going to Arizona but no updates if he actually pitched or was it rehab only.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Did Dunning actually ever pitch in games? The only report I ever saw that he was going to Arizona but no updates if he actually pitched or was it rehab only.

Not in any Arizona League games. I would suspect he was pitching in practice or simulated games or something though. 

10 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Yah, maybe I was being too generous.  He has just 9 IP with 7 hits, 11 Ks and 7 BB since he was demoted to WS across three starts. Seems like a slight improvement form his previous results, but he's definitely not working late into games and has not thrown many pitches in his outings. 

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, maybe I was being too generous.  He has just 9 IP with 7 hits, 11 Ks and 7 BB since he was demoted to WS across three starts. Seems like a slight improvement form his previous results, but he's definitely not working late into games and has not thrown many pitches in his outings. 

Statistically it looks only mildly bad, but from in-person reports he's missing the zone by a lot. The stuff and velo are still present, which is good, but he's lost all semblance of command.

18 minutes ago, joejoedairy said:

Not in any Arizona League games. I would suspect he was pitching in practice or simulated games or something though. 

That's what I was wondering. If it was only "simulated" or if he did anything at all.