Cumulus Media trying to drop White Sox/Bulls from WLS

Dick Allen

What is good about WLS? I live in Elmhurst and can’t get a good signal half the time. And the content on the station outside of White Sox games is dreadful. I’d take pretty much anything over it.

LOL! You're 24 miles away (in a straight line) from the tower in Tinley Park, and you "can't get a good signal half the time"? Get a better radio! WLS should come in Loud & Clear where you're at. The station has 50,000 watts and is a Clear Channel, the highest amount allowed in the USA. If you are listening indoors, make certain that all dimmer light switches and touch sensitive lamps are turned off because they will cause interference to every station on the AM band.

Regarding the programming, it's NOT dreadful. The station's format is: Talk, that's what they do, just like other Talk stations on the AM dial. Around the same time that WLS got the rights for the Sox & Bulls, several non-political shows were added: John Howell & Ray Stevens, Bob Sirott and Marianne Murciano, and Steve Dahl.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 05:40 PM)
LOL! You're 24 miles away (in a straight line) from the tower in Tinley Park, and you "can't get a good signal half the time"? Get a better radio! WLS should come in Loud & Clear where you're at. The station has 50,000 watts and is a Clear Channel, the highest amount allowed in the USA. If you are listening indoors, make certain that all dimmer light switches and touch sensitive lamps are turned off because they will cause interference to every station on the AM band.

Regarding the programming, it's NOT dreadful. The station's format is: Talk, that's what they do, just like other Talk stations on the AM dial. Around the same time that WLS got the rights for the Sox & Bulls, several non-political shows were added: John Howell & Ray Stevens, Bob Sirott and Marianne Murciano, and Steve Dahl.

Who in the heck is paying you?

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 02:36 PM)
Boy, ridding ourselves of Ed Farmer would make all of this truly worth it.

I watch the TV with the sound off and listen to the radio for the games. If Farmer goes (depending on the replacement) I may have to just the visual. This will on the other hand probably make my wife happy.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 10:16 PM)
It's definitely time for new blood on the radio.

I agree, and I can't imagine it'll be an issue. If JR is balking it's due to another, unknown concern.

Let's also assume here the White Sox family will take care of Farmer and provide another job for him within the organization.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 10:04 PM)
I watch the TV with the sound off and listen to the radio for the games. If Farmer goes (depending on the replacement) I may have to just the visual. This will on the other hand probably make my wife happy.

Woah fella, this is a family friendly message board.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 02:27 PM)
Just saw this today, take it for whatever it's worth to you:

"WGN Radio will sign the team but Ed Farmer cannot be involved with the game broadcast and JR is balking but he also has no place to go. WMVP has no interest at all."

It would be supremely ironic if WGN after having and promoting the Cubs all those years now becomes the White Sox station.

I really want the Sox on ESPN Radio 1000 because it’s a sports talk station, but I’d be happy with WGN if that means no more Ed Farmer. I can’t stand Farmer.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 07:06 AM)
I really want the Sox on ESPN Radio 1000 because it’s a sports talk station, but I’d be happy with WGN if that means no more Ed Farmer. I can’t stand Farmer.

Seems like a win-win. Either end up on a sports station or lose Farmer.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 10:45 PM)
I used to hate Farmer but have warmed up to him. Definitely an acquired taste. Very acquired. But, some of us like weird stuff, and Farmio falls under that.

I agree. I know many people take the view of "just tell me what's going on in the game" view. For me it's too sterile. Baseball is entertainment. The weird and off the wall stuff between him and DJ adds to the entertainment, especially through the "rebuild" and bad baseball.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 07:57 AM)
I agree. I know many people take the view of "just tell me what's going on in the game" view. For me it's too sterile. Baseball is entertainment. The weird and off the wall stuff between him and DJ adds to the entertainment, especially through the "rebuild" and bad baseball.

They need an actual PBP guy on the radio. Farmer would be fine as the analyst. DJ would be fine as the analyst. Having both is strange though.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 10:45 PM)
I used to hate Farmer but have warmed up to him. Definitely an acquired taste. Very acquired. But, some of us like weird stuff, and Farmio falls under that.

I started listening to Sox games on the radio around 2003- didn't know what to make of him at first, either. Now, I couldn't imagine tuning in to a broadcast without him. There were certainly some good years baseball-wise between 2003 and now, but also plenty of futility and suck that I found much easier to stick around for with the help of Farmio's call. Those years, a standard vanilla-sounding factoid-spewer wouldn't have stood a chance.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 07:58 AM)
They need an actual PBP guy on the radio. Farmer would be fine as the analyst. DJ would be fine as the analyst. Having both is strange though.

It is. I think that's why I enjoy it. It's strange, weird and different.

Edit: I like it as a fan for the team. It would not work for a national audience that isn't invested in one of the teams.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 01:20 PM)
Translation: White Sox do not have a radio home as of today.

RadioInsight.com‏ @radioinsight US Bankruptcy Court has approved Cumulus’ request for termination of 14 contracts. Awaiting ruling on Merlin Media deal for sale of WKQX/WLUP Chicago.

I think it's because not many people listen.....

I personally don't care either. I've listened through my app on my iphone the past few years. I couldn't tell you what channel they were on the past 3 years anyways.