Cumulus Media trying to drop White Sox/Bulls from WLS

Dick Allen

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 01:22 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen‏Verified account @CST_soxvan 39m39 minutes ago Daryl Van Schouwen Retweeted Bruce Levine

ChiSox Sales / Marketing VP Brooks Boyer said Tuesday "we are making headway understanding the clock is ticking." Spring training opens a week from today.

I mean, games aren't for a month so that's kinda overstating the "clock"

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 04:00 PM)
It was a HORRIBLE fit.

I’ve never listened to WGN. Are the daily shows political like WLS? Is it going to be the same thing?

720 and 780 are similar if that helps. It's more straight local news, weather/traffic/sports mixed in with headlines. Mostly local when I listen but some syndication, but nothing like the stuff 890 had.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 04:21 PM)
Does the station really matter? I don't see much exposure difference between when they were on the Score or any other statio. I would prefer just a,strong signal in case I have to listen on the radio.

It's like, a lot easier to say "Alexa turn on WGN Radio 720 on tunein" than "Alexa turn on...WBRBQ 106.83 fm"

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 04:11 PM)
Sox don’t make much sense for 1000 right now. They have the highest-rated sports show in Chicago with Waddle and Silvy right now, not sure they want to cut into that time with East Coast games, ect.

Higher than Bernstein and Goff?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 04:21 PM)
Does the station really matter? I don't see much exposure difference between when they were on the Score or any other statio. I would prefer just a,strong signal in case I have to listen on the radio.

It matters in terms of the direction of content. The Score rarely has White Sox players, coaches and front office members on unless it is Mully and Hanley in the morning. Spiegel and Parkins are both Cubs fans so they rarely talk about the White Sox and I’ve only heard B&G talk with the Sox twice since they started their show.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 04:49 PM)
Higher than Bernstein and Goff?

Yes. Turns out fans prefer a show with no balls. However, the Score still owns Chicago sports ratings. Might have something to do with ESPN still using the awful Golic & Wingo program across the board on all their local affiliates. Mully and Hanley trounced Mike and Mike in Chicago and will continue to do so with G&W.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 11:51 PM)
It matters in terms of the direction of content. The Score rarely has White Sox players, coaches and front office members on unless it is Mully and Hanley in the morning. Spiegel and Parkins are both Cubs fans so they rarely talk about the White Sox and I’ve only heard B&G talk with the Sox twice since they started their show.

You don't like hearing Len Kasper do interviews ten times a week on the Score during baseball season?

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 07:59 PM)
You don't like hearing Len Kasper do interviews ten times a week on the Score during baseball season?

On ESPN 1000, they must talk to Jesse Rogers three times a day every day during baseball season (and I'm not exaggerating by much).

Doug Padilla used to be their Sox reporter, but I'm not sure they ever replaced him.

I wonder if both stations will send crews out to Mesa for a week, while completely ignoring Sox camp like they did last year?

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 07:59 PM)

Too much ball sucking by Parkins and Spiegel with Maddon, Kasper and Hoyer.

I just remember McNeil having actual White Sox content while he was on the air. Holmes, Goff

and Bernstein are Sox fans but they rarely talk about the White Sox. Holmes, who has season tickets with the Sox, actually ripped Sox fans for cheering for Cleveland in 2016 and for how we are when Cubs fans come to the Garry for the Crosstown classic. It just sucks that there’s no coverage at all, the last bit of excitement was when Quintana was rumored to go to the Pirates and B&B had a SoxTalk poster on.

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 08:51 PM)
On ESPN 1000, they must talk to Jesse Rogers three times a day every day during baseball season (and I'm not exaggerating by much).

Doug Padilla used to be their Sox reporter, but I'm not sure they ever replaced him.

I wonder if both stations will send crews out to Mesa for a week, while completely ignoring Sox camp like they did last year?

I wonder if emailing Delevitt and Rosen about increasing the Sox coverage would just be met with a laugh or if it would mean anything to them.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 04:51 PM)

Spiegel isn't a 'Cubs fan', he's from New Jersey.