Cumulus Media trying to drop White Sox/Bulls from WLS

Dick Allen

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 04:51 PM)
It matters in terms of the direction of content. The Score rarely has White Sox players, coaches and front office members on unless it is Mully and Hanley in the morning. Spiegel and Parkins are both Cubs fans so they rarely talk about the White Sox and I’ve only heard B&G talk with the Sox twice since they started their show.

And Julie DeCaro is a Cubs fan and won't ever talk Sox. She will even say things like "We got more baseball talk if you guys want to talk Cubs, or we can talk Bears, Bulls" etc. She openly requests topic points and rarely mentions the Sox. Likely because she doesn't know anything about the Sox, or cares to discuss them anyway.

I text in from time to time just to give her s*** about her lack of acknowledgement for the Sox. Just to remind her.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 10:35 PM)
They talk about the Cubs more, but what do you expect, they are winning. I hear plenty of sox talk and I listen all day long while working

So do I, but I don’t hear them talk about the White Sox consistently.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 06:33 AM)
So do I, but I don’t hear them talk about the White Sox consistently.

Honestly, there isnt much to talk about consistently. The last two offseasons havent exactly been exciting in the respect of building up the major league team. The trades involving Eaton and Sale were talked about a lot last year but there wasnt much else to discuss. This offseason even more. Look at this PHT forum, all we do is speculate the future, we dont have much to talk about in the present because we know this season isnt gonna be great unless something truly unexpected happens.

if the sox start winning, they will discuss it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 10:35 PM)
They talk about the Cubs more, but what do you expect, they are winning. I hear plenty of sox talk and I listen all day long while working

I feel the same. Granted, I don't listen everyday, but seems like they talk Sox more than Hawks.

Seems like posters do the trick where they register every time they aren't talking about the sox but every time they are they just ignore it because they are "supposed" to.

QUOTE (SmashROT @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 06:11 PM)
WGN seems like it's made a big push towards sports lately anyways. I'm sure we'll get plenty of Sox talk during non-game hours in the summer.

WGN TV is almost 100% news content. They no longer carry the WB programming. I wonder if they are moving toward a more predominant news/sports network.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:15 AM)
I can't imagine caring at all about which radio station the Sox are on, so long as the station can be heard clearly during game broadcasts.

Literally the only time I turn on AM radio is to find a Blackhawks or White Sox game, or to listen to 780 AM for news. I refuse to listen to sports radio in general, it is almost as bad as political talk radio.

Was there significantly more White Sox talk on the Score than there is now when they had their games on there besides Rongey's show, which 98% of the people here hated anyway? I'm with the above, if I am relegated to radio, just give me a station that comes in really well. WGN fits the bill pretty well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:43 AM)
Was there significantly more White Sox talk on the Score than there is now when they had their games on there besides Rongey's show, which 98% of the people here hated anyway? I'm with the above, if I am relegated to radio, just give me a station that comes in really well. WGN fits the bill pretty well.

Yes. When McNeil was on there was a lot more Sox chatter. News or not, they had more Sox interviews. There’s a few mentions every now and then with a slow offseason but for the most part it is just a Cubs hard on on 670. Regardless, the content flows towards the Cubs and it is what it is on the Cubs flagship. That’s why I had hoped AM 1000 would get them, so they would direct more content at the Sox. Hopefully a busier offseason next offseason will create more Sox chatter and by then we will have more of the future up.

As for the Hawks, well, Jay Zawaski actually knows about them, the others don’t.

Joe Brand who has been the Kane County Cougars PBP guy since 2014 has been added to WGN Weekend Sports lineup as well as former Cubs and Padres broadcaster Andy Masur. I wonder if either of these two guys will be part of White Sox baseball? It would be ideal in my opinion. Have one of them become the PBP guy next to Farmer or DJ as the analyst. The other can be the Pre/Post Game host. I'd love for them to find a young PBP guy for radio broadcast.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 04:10 PM)
Joe Brand who has been the Kane County Cougars PBP guy since 2014 has been added to WGN Weekend Sports lineup as well as former Cubs and Padres broadcaster Andy Masur. I wonder if either of these two guys will be part of White Sox baseball? It would be ideal in my opinion. Have one of them become the PBP guy next to Farmer or DJ as the analyst. The other can be the Pre/Post Game host. I'd love for them to find a young PBP guy for radio broadcast.

I used to work with Joe at the Windy City Thunderbolts. He's a very nice dude and I'm glad to see he's doing really well in the business. He was very good then for being a "rookie" broadcaster, and could clean the hell out of a deep fryer as well lol.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:22 AM)
Literally the only time I turn on AM radio is to find a Blackhawks or White Sox game, or to listen to 780 AM for news. I refuse to listen to sports radio in general, it is almost as bad as political talk radio.

X2

Any show that has callers is an automatic turn off for me.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 02:27 PM)
Just saw this today, take it for whatever it's worth to you:

"WGN Radio will sign the team but Ed Farmer cannot be involved with the game broadcast and JR is balking but he also has no place to go. WMVP has no interest at all."

It would be supremely ironic if WGN after having and promoting the Cubs all those years now becomes the White Sox station.

So was just a false rumor or did they get something worked out?