Uniforms

35thstreetswarm

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 03:41 PM)
Another risk that comes with the sleeveless is that fans buy them, too. Ever sit next to a fat guy in the sleeveless jersey with his pit-hair blazing on a hot August day in the early 2000s ? Not pretty

Yo, that's offensive to every hairy fat pig out there!

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 04:35 PM)
Not exactly - those uniforms had a totally different logo, different font, huge numbers on the pants, etc. The only thing that would be the same would be the home unis would be white instead of pinstripe.

Gotcha. So the current home uni sans the pinstripes. Not sure that would work. Seems like that would be too much white, if all you'd have on the uni is the current Sox logo over the left part of the chest. I think you'd have to pull something across the entire chest to eat up some of that white, like those Vanderbilt jerseys do. But I'm with you with having a team called the "White" Sox somehow better emphasize or feature white in their uniforms!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 05:44 PM)
Gotcha. So the current home uni sans the pinstripes. Not sure that would work. Seems like that would be too much white, if all you'd have on the uni is the current Sox logo over the left part of the chest. I think you'd have to pull something across the entire chest to eat up some of that white, like those Vanderbilt jerseys do. But I'm with you with having a team called the "White" Sox somehow better emphasize or feature white in their uniforms!

Maybe so: I think it could work with something across the chest - ala the "Chicago" script on the gray aways. (I wouldn't want to use that old '87 font, though, which always looked goofy to me).

FWIW I’m not sure any MLB team can have all white hats. I believe it’s a rule. Something about that being a distraction to hitters if it’s all white & it blending in with the pitch.

With UA taking over in 2019 I’m betting some uniforms do get changed, ala the way Seattle’s did in the NFL when Nike took ovwr. I could see a re-do for San Diego or Detroit happening

I don't know the rules in the MLB. It may be like the NFL where they only allow alternate jerseys every once and a while. But if not? Personally I love the Sunday home jerseys the most. Would I love them full time? No. But I think the Sox have a unique opportunity and past that they should take advantage of.

We are the SMALL majority of fans in Chicago. We can't deny that most everybody are Cub fans, I'd imagine with how much they've won that the generation under 10 years old is leaning even heavier. I do think if you were to rotate between the 83 jerseys, our current jerseys, mix in the 59's, mix in the 80's, mix in a couple of new designs? It may sound stupid or kitschy however becoming the Oregon of the MLB actually could be a real solid marketing angle.

Baseball to the average fan has become drawn out, boring, etc. (not me, I'm posting on a board in January, just outsider perspective). I think you take that opportunity and market outside the box. For instance, those grey jerseys in the first post? Those are fire. I know this view would upset the old school fan.. but hey.. you want to survive you have to adapt.

The plus side of all this? The more variations you have the more merch you sell the cooler you look the more casual fans you will gather.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 10:08 PM)
FWIW I’m not sure any MLB team can have all white hats. I believe it’s a rule. Something about that being a distraction to hitters if it’s all white & it blending in with the pitch.

With UA taking over in 2019 I’m betting some uniforms do get changed, ala the way Seattle’s did in the NFL when Nike took ovwr. I could see a re-do for San Diego or Detroit happening

Forgot about the UA takeover...I have to say I'd much prefer to entrust a uniform reboot to Nike than UA, given their track record...

https://www.google.com/search?q=ugliest+mar...bylIR4ZGEjGyGM:

terps_uniforms.jpg

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 10:08 PM)

I think it could be like the NBA and Nike this year, where literally every uniform got changed (most only slightly).

I’m with team OP.

It annoys the crap out of me when people use the phrase “going to play in the pinstripes” talking about the Yankees and Cubs. Nobody associates the Sox with it, but Sox were known for pushing forward with uniforms.

I associate the black jerseys with those ‘94 era teams, let’s give this next group their own look.

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 06:24 PM)
As the cold stove has shown no signs of heating, I have turned my thoughts to more frivolous baseball-related topics, like uniforms (a favorite of mine).

I think it would be worth considering a uniform redesign in the coming years. The Sox are due for one. And especially if the Sox are poised for a renaissance: I've also always liked it when a team decides to do a little rebranding to coincide with a big upswing, ala the 2000s-era Miami Heat. I've also always thought the Sox did not take sufficient advantage of the "White" in "White Sox," or the fact that the franchise owns one of the coolest color combos in baseball: white and black. I've also never loved the Yankees-knockoff pinstripe look.

With all that in mind, what about a super crisp white-on-white home uniform? The Nike redesigns of Vanderbilt are a good template, though I'm imagining even more white, like black-outlined white lettering and a super-simplified, almost Penn State football look that emphasizes the "white."

https://news.nike.com/news/baseball-vapor-elite-uniform

Another possibility would be to pair that with a black-on-black away uniform, ala Mississippi State/Louisville. White/Black. If too gimmicky, though, we could stick with the usual black alternates as aways, maybe with some tweaks.

I think the hat stays untouched, though.

Thoughts?

Another view of potential future uniforms someone came up with a few years ago. It doesn’t focus on featuring the “white” aspect of things, but rather “punching up” the color on the current uniform scheme while tethering the suggestions to the team’s varied uniform design history.

https://clumsytuba.wordpress.com/2013/04/04...e-sox-uniforms/

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 11:05 PM)
Another view of potential future uniforms someone came up with a few years ago. It doesn’t focus on featuring the “white” aspect of things, but rather “punching up” the color on the current uniform scheme while tethering the suggestions to the team’s varied uniform design history.

Loved the bottom ones.. Never really understood the red though.. I like our current uniforms though id be interested in getting rid of the pinstripe home jerseys and replacing them with plain white.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 11:57 AM)
Loved the bottom ones.. Never really understood the red though.. I like our current uniforms though id be interested in getting rid of the pinstripe home jerseys and replacing them with plain white.

...maybe with some/all numbering and lettering in white on white. No fan of the Lebron-era heat, but their "White Hot" jerseys were one of the coolest ever.

whitehot2.png

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 01:05 AM)

I came to this thread hoping there would be a reference to those red mock-ups - I've been in love with the top one for a couple years now, and I was also thinking it would be a good re-brand for the new era with the rebuild. I would love to see that thrown in as the Sunday alternate, doesn't need to be the full takeover. Keeps everything we love about the current jerseys and just adds a little red, throwback to jerseys in the '50s but with the modern touch.

Big, big fan of this.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 12:05 AM)

I like it, but keep the '59 Olde English Sox logo over the 1910s logo.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 11:39 AM)
So essentially re-introducing the uniforms from 1987-1990 and simply swapping out the red and blue colors with silver and black?

Here's how the '87-90 unis would look in their modern colors:

1987_White_Sox_Home.png

Seems like a lot of love for adding back the red from yesteryear. I think that could look cool. But I do have to say that I appreciate we're one of few teams with no red or blue in their primary color scheme. Those have become sort of the generic colors in baseball, where it seems like 80% of teams' colors are similar combinations of red white and/or blue.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 12:18 PM)
...maybe with some/all numbering and lettering in white on white. No fan of the Lebron-era heat, but their "White Hot" jerseys were one of the coolest ever.

Here's an idea of how a white-on-white uniform could look:

YajKmYZ.png