Brewers nearing trade

Jose Abreu

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 07:32 PM)
Could the Brewers be making a run for Yelich? A package deal of Yelich/Castro could make sense for them and makes some of their younger OF prospects expendable. Plus Castro is a 2B and fills an immediate need for them and wants out of Miami as well.

If I wanted to compete against the Cubs, I'd want a veteran player with experience playing in that division...versus gambling on Yolmer Sanchez making the transition.

It all depends on the cost-benefit analysis of the situation...Castro and Yelich are a lot more expensive players, but that would definitely excite their fanbase.

Where the Jacoby Ellsbury stuff is coming in, no idea. At any rate, no seeing how the White Sox would be involved if that was the trade (Yelich/Castro).

Edited by caulfield12

I know it’s all speculation right now, but if you connect all the dots this actually makes sense:

1) Brewers sign Lorenzo Cain to discounted deal to play CF

2) Brewers take on Ellsbury’s contract in exchange for Chance Adams + second high end prospect

3) Brewers trade Brinson, other prospects, & Ellsbury to Sox for Carlos Sanchez

These moves in aggregate make the Brewers a lot better IMO.

Also, I’ll repeat it but I find it very interesting that the Sox & Sanchez haven’t come to a salary agreement yet over $300k. Just seems like a completely immaterial amount to not be able to find a happy median with.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 08:37 PM)
Another update from the Brewers insider:

"Multiple" trades that are separate from this one are in place as well. Trades will happen dependent upon this (A.) move and possibly other free agent moves. Multiple trades are already agreed upon, but only to happen if (A) happens.

wait what? that sounds rather fantastical.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 07:50 PM)
I know it’s all speculation right now, but if you connect all the dots this actually makes sense:

1) Brewers sign Lorenzo Cain to discounted deal to play CF

2) Brewers take on Ellsbury’s contract in exchange for Chance Adams + second high end prospect

3) Brewers trade Brinson, other prospects, & Ellsbury to Sox for Carlos Sanchez

These moves in aggregate make the Brewers a lot better IMO.

Also, I’ll repeat it but I find it very interesting that the Sox & Sanchez haven’t come to a salary agreement yet over $300k. Just seems like a completely immaterial amount to not be able to find a happy median with.

I would love this deal for the Sox. Ellsbury's contract sucks but it's worth it to get Brinson and possibly other prospects as well. And it's possible that the Yankees/Milwaukee could eat some of his contract too.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 08:17 PM)
I would love this deal for the Sox. Ellsbury's contract sucks but it's worth it to get Brinson and possibly other prospects as well. And it's possible that the Yankees/Milwaukee could eat some of his contract too.

Absolutely no shot the sox are taking on that Ellsbury contract.

Highly doubt they would need to trade Brinson just to dump salary. Whatever our part in this I’m going to guess it’s a lot less sexy and minor.

And FWIW is take a flyer on Broxton. His 2016 was good. Rather give his power a try then whatever Tilson would be.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 08:21 PM)
Highly doubt they would need to trade Brinson just to dump salary. Whatever our part in this I’m going to guess it’s a lot less sexy and minor.

And FWIW is take a flyer on Broxton. His 2016 was good. Rather give his power a try then whatever Tilson would be.

The trade I’m proposing from the Brewers’ perspective would basically be Brinson for Chance Adams & Carlos Sanchez. It wouldn’t be about dumping salary, as the Sox would always be the ultimate ending place for Ellsbury contract.

Taking on Ellsbury contact is simply buying a prospect. We just spent $50M for Robert. What would you pay for a major league prospect with star upside? If it fills a need we won’t have to address in free agency, then the financial implications are somewhat negated. Plus we should have tons of payroll space in the next three seasons anyways.

The thing I want to know is if we did acquire Ellsbury, do we actually play him in CF and hope to offset some cost down the road or do we simply cut him right away. He does have a no trade clause so I could them cutting him being a requirement for any deal.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 08:35 PM)
Taking on Ellsbury contact is simply buying a prospect. We just spent $50M for Robert. What would you pay for a major league prospect with star upside? If it fills a need we won’t have to address in free agency, then the financial implications are somewhat negated. Plus we should have tons of payroll space in the next three seasons anyways.

The thing I want to know is if we did acquire Ellsbury, do we actually play him in CF and hope to offset some cost down the road or do we simply cut him right away. He does have a no trade clause so I could them cutting him being a requirement for any deal.

Ellsbury would never waive his clause with a demand to be released with the way the market has been this offseason. He's be lucky to field anything other than a ST invite.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 08:21 PM)

Entirely possible we have zero involvement. We were in discussions but who knows the final outcome.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 09:26 PM)
Seriously asking, what was the best (highest ranked) prospect sent along in a salary dump in a recent time frame like last 10 years.

Because I think it's toussant. It hasn't seemed like a top 100 guy has been moved.

What did the Indians get back when they dumped Bourne and Swisher?

Astros dumping some of their guys like Chris Johnson, Robbie Grossman or their 1B/DH?

Seems like the Braves were the only one that got a huge influx from a deal.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 09:17 PM)

Why would the Brewers do that deal? Not happening.

It maybe Braun being dumped on Sox. If they made a trade for example of Braun plus Brinson, Ortiz Burnes, and Lutz for Abreu they could move Thames to LF. Sign Darvish. Trade for Abreu while only increasing their payroll by 10 million or so.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 06:53 PM)
The only way I can see Ellsbury being involved if it’s a three way deal with us.

This would be a crazy ass trade but makes some sense for all teams.

Brewers

-Trade: Brinson, Diaz

-Receive: Sanchez, Adams

Yankees

-Trade: Ellsbury, Adams, Andujar

-Receive: Low level C prospect

White Sox

-Trade: Sanchez, low level C prospect

-Receive: Ellsbury, Brinson, Andujar, Diaz

Hahn only gets that deal done with Cashman and Stearn' families tied up for ransom.