Brewers nearing trade

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 01:13 AM)
My random speculation is a prospect swap of Brinson for Hansen + Fulmer. Or maybe Cease, Fulmer, and Mendick, or some variation of us getting Brinson in exchange for pitching prospects.

I'd be interested in something like that. But you don't really see those types a moves.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 01:13 AM)
My random speculation is a prospect swap of Brinson for Hansen + Fulmer. Or maybe Cease, Fulmer, and Mendick, or some variation of us getting Brinson in exchange for pitching prospects.

Milwaukee is looking for a SP & 2B that can help them right now. That’s why someone like Chance Adams might be of interest to them. I think Fulmer is simply too risky at the moment after his minor league struggles last year. And Carlos Sanchez makes a ton of sense for them at 2B. Cheap, versatile, and under control for four more seasons. He’s a perfect transition to Hiura and can shifter over to 3B/SS once he’s ready. Also, filling two big needs with very affordable options allows them to go buy a free agent like Cain to add certainty to their lineup. I think there is plenty of logic here for the Brewers. Whether they think that’s worth Brinson is another story. He didn’t exactly light the world on fire in his first major league stint, so who really knows how they feel about him. The kid obviously has loud tools, but perhaps they don’t want to endure his growing pains as they gun for a playoff spot next year and would prefer veteran in CF like Cain.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 01:06 AM)
Hahn only gets that deal done with Cashman and Stearn' families tied up for ransom.

Let me ask you this. What is the value of taking on a player with $40M to $50M in negative surplus value? I know Fangraphs speculated a guy like Clint Frazier would be the appropriate cost to take on Ellsbury’s contract. To me that’s a theoretical cost based on a simple surplus value analysis and does not account for the premium another team would want to help the Yankees out. I’ll admit Andujar is probably too big of a second piece, but given that Chance Adams is a slightly worse prospect than Frazier IMO, I would expect the Yankees to include another prospect in their 10 to 20 range.

The next question is why would the Yankees actually do this? What if they can use the Ellsbury savings to add a SP like Darvish while staying under the luxury tax threshold this coming season? Look, I’m skeptical too that the Yankees would trade talent to dump a contract, but the luxury tax concerns are a real issue for them and they want to be in the best financial position for the 2018/19 free agent class. There’s definitely some logic here, especially if Darvish comes at a bit of a discount.

Ellsbury has put up a 2 WAR and a 1.7 WAR the last 2 seasons. Not bad considering he isn't playing every day now. So he isn't a horrible player. He's just not worth what he is paid, and his playing time is only going to get worse in NY. He isn't a trade and release guy. No way. But at least for me, it would take a lot to inherit that contract now at his age. He kind of reminds me of Tim Raines late in his career. He probably will be able to hit for a while, and will be able to run, and is probably a good guy in the clubhouse, but he isn't anywhere near what he was, and probably should only be playing part time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 08:19 AM)
Ellsbury has put up a 2 WAR and a 1.7 WAR the last 2 seasons. Not bad considering he isn't playing every day now. So he isn't a horrible player. He's just not worth what he is paid, and his playing time is only going to get worse in NY. He isn't a trade and release guy. No way. But at least for me, it would take a lot to inherit that contract now at his age. He kind of reminds me of Tim Raines late in his career. He probably will be able to hit for a while, and will be able to run, and is probably a good guy in the clubhouse, but he isn't anywhere near what he was, and probably should only be playing part time.

I doubt the Brewers are looking to deal Brinson for anything less than a cost controlled starting pitcher like Michael Fulmer for example. He's not getting dealt for salary dump and/or Sanchez level players

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 08:24 AM)
Doesn't Ellsbury have a NTC? Why would he allow himself to be dumped to a non-contender?

The thought is that if Ellsbury wants to receive regular playing time he would waive his NTC rather than be stuck on the Yankees bench

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 08:24 AM)
Doesn't Ellsbury have a NTC? Why would he allow himself to be dumped to a non-contender?

That's why people bring up him accepting the trade contingent on being released so he can try to sign with a contender. No contenders want him now with his contract, but if he is released and you can get him for basically the minimum, then some of them would almost definitely do it.

My thought was a way for him to get to the White Sox would be to promise starting time and that we would attempt to trade him to a contender at the deadline or next offseason, assuming the Yankees eat some of the contract and then we can eat more to entice another team.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 09:25 AM)
The thought is that if Ellsbury wants to receive regular playing time he would waive his NTC rather than be stuck on the Yankees bench

If he was playing for a contract, maybe I could buy that -- but he's locked up through 2021 on what is obviously the biggest contract of his career. I would think he's likely more interested in championships than an extra 200 ABs, especially because it isn't like he has an insignificant role with the Yankees.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 09:32 AM)
That's why people bring up him accepting the trade contingent on being released so he can try to sign with a contender. No contenders want him now with his contract, but if he is released and you can get him for basically the minimum, then some of them would almost definitely do it.

My thought was a way for him to get to the White Sox would be to promise starting time and that we would attempt to trade him to a contender at the deadline or next offseason, assuming the Yankees eat some of the contract and then we can eat more to entice another team.

I guess maybe the Giants would give him league minimum and a real shot to start?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 07:53 PM)
The only way I can see Ellsbury being involved if it’s a three way deal with us.

This would be a crazy ass trade but makes some sense for all teams.

Brewers

-Trade: Brinson, Diaz

-Receive: Sanchez, Adams

Yankees

-Trade: Ellsbury, Adams, Andujar

-Receive: Low level C prospect

White Sox

-Trade: Sanchez, low level C prospect

-Receive: Ellsbury, Brinson, Andujar, Diaz

Take it and run so far the Sox relocate.

Ellsbury has had WAR of .9, 2 and 1.6. He's 33. What's the point here? Leury had 1.1 in his first full season with fewer at bats, is younger and earns the league minimum.

Milwaukee isn't trading Brinson.

I don't see the matchup - both teams have the same "excess" to the extent it exists: corner outfield.

The Whitesox better be careful about trading pitching; I know the Cubs did it this way, but there are a lot more rebuilders now and pitching is tight. And White Sox history in the Williams/Hahn era is generally an arm (or more) short, as per Noesi in the rotation for "go for it" teams.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 06:53 PM)
The only way I can see Ellsbury being involved if it’s a three way deal with us.

This would be a crazy ass trade but makes some sense for all teams.

Brewers

-Receive: Sanchez, Adams

Yankees

-Trade: Ellsbury, Adams, Andujar

White Sox

-Receive: Ellsbury, Brinson, Andujar, Diaz

The Sox would do this trade immediately and be instant winners. Bad deal for the Brewers.

Even absorbing all of Ellsbury's contract would not get us three quality prospects like that.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 08:35 AM)
If he was playing for a contract, maybe I could buy that -- but he's locked up through 2021 on what is obviously the biggest contract of his career. I would think he's likely more interested in championships than an extra 200 ABs, especially because it isn't like he has an insignificant role with the Yankees.

He's won already in his career so no much pressure to win before retiring. He's getting paid either way and may want playing time or a chance at another winner (granted, he could go to a team expected to contend anyway).

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 09:05 AM)
The Sox would do this trade immediately and be instant winners. Bad deal for the Brewers.

Even absorbing all of Ellsbury's contract would not get us three quality prospects like that.

Yes, it’s definitely too heavy for the Sox. Here’s an adjusted proposal that I think is more fair:

Brewers

-Receive: Sanchez, Adams, Tate

Yankees

-Trade: Ellsbury, Adams, Tate

White Sox

-Receive: Ellsbury, Brinson, Diaz

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 09:31 AM)
I'm perusing one of the Brewers fan sites and a guy that they all see as a reliable insider just said this when asked for an update:

The contract issues part makes it sound like maybe it is Ellsbury because the NTC.

He also just said that Braun is not in the trade. Definitely points to a potential Ellsbury deal, obviously doesn’t mean we’re involved. Still can’t believe the Brewers would take on that kind of salary. Would think a team like us or the Phillies would have to be the ultimate landing place for Ellsbury.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 09:40 AM)
Yes, it’s definitely too heavy for the Sox. Here’s an adjusted proposal that I think is more fair:

Brewers

-Receive: Sanchez, Adams, Tate

Yankees

-Trade: Ellsbury, Adams, Tate

White Sox

-Receive: Ellsbury, Brinson, Diaz

Still too steep, Brinson is a consensus top 20 prospect in the game and is far better than this deal.