Keith Law's ESPN Top 100

ChiSox59

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 10:36 PM)
I actually thought his write-up on Hansen was very favorable. What were we expecting here? He's a top 55-60 prospect in the game. Could be a TOR starter. What's the issue?

Yes, ranking him in the top50 and saying he could be an above average starter is definitely not underranking him. He could also be better than that but he could also be worse.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 01:56 PM)
Sounds about right to me. Sox have nowhere near the depth as those teams.

I disagree. I think they are just as deep or even deeper than the Yankees now and better at the top. It’s close with the Padres. I’d give the Padres a slight edge in depth but I like the Sox top 5 much better.

He had us #10 last year, and that was after the Sale/Eaton trades; since then we picked up an elite talent from Q, but Moncada, Giolito and Lopez graduated. Still the Sox rose 6 spots...he must like a lot of the secondary acquisitions. I'm pretty stoked about #4, considering the above.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 02:12 PM)
He had us #10 last year, and that was after the Sale/Eaton trades; since then we picked up an elite talent from Q, but Moncada, Giolito and Lopez graduated. Still the Sox rose 6 spots...he must like a lot of the secondary acquisitions. I'm pretty stoked about #4, considering the above.

But ranking the Sox #10 at this time last year was a joke.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 03:56 PM)
Law also said that if he were rankings organizational talent 25 years or younger, he would likely have the Sox #1.

Exactly. I love that we’re #4 without counting Moncada, Lopez & Giolito.

We have the most young talent in baseball and it’s not even close.

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 04:10 PM)
Exactly. I love that we’re #4 without counting Moncada, Lopez & Giolito.

We have the most young talent in baseball and it’s not even close.

I mean, I think the Yankees would disagree. They nearly made the World Series last year behind some young stars and still have a top system. Some of guys need to develop first before we can make that kind of claim IMO.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 06:28 PM)
I mean, I think the Yankees would disagree. They nearly made the World Series last year behind some young stars and still have a top system. Some of guys need to develop first before we can make that kind of claim IMO.

Fine, technical term we have more potential than any other org has talent. Yankees and Dodgers included. Everyone hits their "potential" and this team is an unstoppable 120 win menace in 2020, counting a free agent or two. 100 wins is the "a normal amount of guys struggle" level.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 08:25 PM)
Fine, technical term we have more potential than any other org has talent. Yankees and Dodgers included. Everyone hits their "potential" and this team is an unstoppable 120 win menace in 2020, counting a free agent or two. 100 wins is the "a normal amount of guys struggle" level.

The Yankees had three guys 25 years old and below combine for 18.3 WAR last year. They have a top 5 prospect in Gleybar Torres, a bunch of other top 100 caliber prospects, plus a ton of prospect depth beyond that. Right now we’re simply hoping that Moncada, Jimenez, & Kopech can match the output of Judge, Sanchez, & Servino. Let’s say they can match them, does Rodon, Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Robert, Hansen, Cease, Rutherford, Burger, Collins offer more upside than Torres, Frazier, Montgomery, Florial, Andujar, Sheffield, Abreu, Adams, etc? I’d say it’s awfully close and the Yankees have far more certainty at this point.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 10:00 PM)
The Yankees had three guys 25 years old and below combine for 18.3 WAR last year. They have a top 5 prospect in Gleybar Torres, a bunch of other top 100 caliber prospects, plus a ton of prospect depth beyond that. Right now we’re simply hoping that Moncada, Jimenez, & Kopech can match the output of Judge, Sanchez, & Servino. Let’s say they can match them, does Rodon, Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Robert, Hansen, Cease, Rutherford, Burger, Collins offer more upside than Torres, Frazier, Montgomery, Florial, Andujar, Sheffield, Abreu, Adams, etc? I’d say it’s awfully close and the Yankees have far more certainty at this point.

The Yankees are definitely stacked and, if things play out as both front offices expect, Sox and them will likely be the top two teams in the AL from 2020-2023ish. That said, some of the Yankee prospects, as we've learned over the years, are certainly a bit overrated. I don't know if it's enough to put us on top when ranking organization talent

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 08:38 PM)
The Yankees are definitely stacked and, if things play out as both front offices expect, Sox and them will likely be the top two teams in the AL from 2020-2023ish. That said, some of the Yankee prospects, as we've learned over the years, are certainly a bit overrated. I don't know if it's enough to put us on top when ranking organization talent

Would anyone trade Jimenez for the 2nd place finisher in the MVP race?

Jimenez, at best, is a combination of Nelson Cruz and Carlos Lee from all accounts. Do you think any Yankees' fan would be up for that one?

Gary Sanchez is a franchise catcher, although there are lots who want him to focus 100% on offense...but that's still one of the most valuable assets in the game today. Who is the White Sox equivalent, Moncada? But catcher >>> 2nd base.

If Hansen, Kopech and Luis Robert (in CF) all become something close to superstars, along with Moncada, then you can start making a legitimate argument. The White Sox should have the advantage on the pitching side, especially if Rodon makes it all the way back.

Edited by caulfield12

Honestly, I think the Sox now probably rank 5th in Baseball in future talent. I'd take the Braves, Yankees, Padres and Phillies ahead of the Sox. With the Yankees and Phillies, they have young talent that has already proven itself to have at the very least one good season in the Majors, and I also think the Braves and Padres have a deeper farm system. The Sox prospects, overall, probably have the most high-end potential but it is fairly concentrated. What happens if two of Moncada, Kopech, Jimenez and Robert don't turn out to be the players we thought they'd be? Then what? I think the other teams have a bigger buffer to their players, while the Sox probably have a ceiling of a 78 win team if the "big boys" don't turn into superstars. Everyone points to the Cubs and Astros, but they have had at least 1-2 high profile busts-Appel and Singleton with the Astros, and Soler and Schwarber haven't been the studs that Cub fans thought they'd be. The Sox can't survive that kind of setback. Their potential stars actually have to be stars otherwise they're f***ed.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 02:12 PM)
Honestly, I think the Sox now probably rank 5th in Baseball in future talent. I'd take the Braves, Yankees, Padres and Phillies ahead of the Sox. With the Yankees and Phillies, they have young talent that has already proven itself to have at the very least one good season in the Majors, and I also think the Braves and Padres have a deeper farm system. The Sox prospects, overall, probably have the most high-end potential but it is fairly concentrated. What happens if two of Moncada, Kopech, Jimenez and Robert don't turn out to be the players we thought they'd be? Then what? I think the other teams have a bigger buffer to their players, while the Sox probably have a ceiling of a 78 win team if the "big boys" don't turn into superstars. Everyone points to the Cubs and Astros, but they have had at least 1-2 high profile busts-Appel and Singleton with the Astros, and Soler and Schwarber haven't been the studs that Cub fans thought they'd be. The Sox can't survive that kind of setback. Their potential stars actually have to be stars otherwise they're f***ed.

Without Soler they don't make the playoffs last year.