Top White Sox Prospects, Preseason 2018

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 09:54 AM)
Great top 10. Love Cease, so props to you guys for valuing his upside as much as I do. Only gripe is Clarkin is too low (definitely a top 20 prospect in my book). Basabe as well.

I agree with this on Clarkin. I had him at #16 in my top 30. he hasn't been able to stay healthy but he has the stuff to start for sure.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 09:14 AM)
I just don't think I would put Collins above Dunning.

Every year is interesting, but given the age of some of so many of our prospects, seems like we'll be able to separate the wheat from the chaff this year.

The Cease/Dunning/Collins grouping was very tight, you could argue any order with them. For me, Collins is higher than either because of the value of a high OBP, high power major league starting catcher, which is Collins' ceiling. But a lot depends on how you feel about him sticking behind he plate.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 09:54 AM)
Great top 10. Love Cease, so props to you guys for valuing his upside as much as I do. Only gripe is Clarkin is too low (definitely a top 20 prospect in my book). Basabe as well.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 10:25 AM)
I agree with this on Clarkin. I had him at #16 in my top 30. he hasn't been able to stay healthy but he has the stuff to start for sure.

If you read the intro, it wasn't an exaggeration, that whole group from 10 to the mid-20's are almost entirely fungible. All with talent and flaws, and you could put them in almost any order.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 10:30 AM)
I love Cease and Dunning. I'd have go Dunning and Cease (in that order) above Collins. My bold prediction for this year is that Cease explodes (much like Kopech 1.5 years ago) and is a top 40 prospect this time next year. Crazy K numbers and brings the walks down.

I feel the same way. Considering the WS history of developing pitchers

it wouldn't surprise me to see a huge leap from Dunning and Cease.

Edited by zisk

Love seeing Collins come in at #5. I'm sure most publications will knock him further down the list, but having an offensive weapon at catcher is such a bonus. His ceiling is above Dunning and probably Cease for me so I like that you guys sort of went out on a limb and put him at 5.

Expecting big things out of him and Rutherford this year. Don't think we've seen the real player out of either of them yet.

Big fan of the list, awesome all around work.

I personally just have this gut feeling Hansen is going to be an absolute beast. I watched a ton of his games last year in WS (MILB.TV) and the dude just looked unhitable for the first 3-4 innings than fatigue would set in and he'd get hit around a bit or his command would suffer. But when he was on he just appeared to be in total control.

When I watched Kopech I never quite had that same feeling. The dude's stuff is unreal, but he just seemed to throw so many pitches that weren't anywhere near the zone it never seemed like really knew where the ball was going once it left his hand.

One guy I've been looking forward to seeing again is Luis Martinez. I caught one of his games last year and the dude was just whipping guys out with his breaking ball. Dudes would swing and miss the ball by a foot. I'd love to see 3 or 4 more starts to get a better gage of his stuff but that once game left a lasting impression.

QUOTE (pablo @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 04:30 PM)
Love seeing Collins come in at #5. I'm sure most publications will knock him further down the list, but having an offensive weapon at catcher is such a bonus. His ceiling is above Dunning and probably Cease for me so I like that you guys sort of went out on a limb and put him at 5.

Expecting big things out of him and Rutherford this year. Don't think we've seen the real player out of either of them yet.

Or are they listed so high simply because of their #1 Draft status, ala Courtney Hawkins? We'll see.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 25, 2018 -> 07:39 AM)
Or are they listed so high simply because of their #1 Draft status, ala Courtney Hawkins? We'll see.

Yes oldsox you've solved our formula. We sit around and all agree to put the former 1st rounders higher than they should be. Can't believe nobody figured it out before this.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 25, 2018 -> 10:28 AM)
Yes oldsox you've solved our formula. We sit around and all agree to put the former 1st rounders higher than they should be. Can't believe nobody figured it out before this.

Of course where they were drafted matters.. Even if it's unintended