Larry Nassar sentenced to 40-175 years in prison

From the article:

"Allswede told Outside the Lines that about seven years ago, an attorney from the university's general counsel's department came to her office to try to reassure her that coaches were taking allegations of sexual violence seriously. Allswede says the attorney told her how Dantonio, the football coach, had dealt with a sexual assault accusation against one of his players: He had the player talk to his mother about what he had done."

Are you f***ing kidding me?

And the Payne/Appling story is ridiculous too. Classy Izzo didn't punish them at all either.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 01:56 PM)
Interesting the timeline between DeVos changing the title IX regs and this coming out. Shes very tied to MSU.

And Izzo is going to get hammered because of the things they've hid for his program.

He's too much of a God in East Lansing for this to do much to him. He can say he followed the advice of the school admn and athletic director, which was that after an investigation his players were cleared.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 02:01 PM)
He's too much of a God in East Lansing for this to do much to him. He can say he followed the advice of the school admn and athletic director, which was that after an investigation his players were cleared.

I dont think so, not this time.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 03:02 PM)
I dont think so, not this time.

The feds are involved because they apparently lied on a response to a Title IX investigation last year and are still withholding documents. You can play god with the local PD in a college town, but that doesn't work with the Feds.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 03:06 PM)
Story just came out that Betsy Devos met with Lou Anna Simon on September 20th, and two days later she rolled back Title IX protections for sexual assault victims.

Am I allowed to take a disappointed and sad but totally expected version of :lolhitting here?

Honestly it would be a lynching if Izzo was forced to resign. Maybe even D'Antoni, though I know less of the claims there. I get that there's a point where your program is filled with people accused of doing criminal things, and that becomes the responsibility of the coach bringing those players to the school, but (1) it's not their fault their player does something criminal, (2) it's not fair to bench a guy or suspend a guy just because of an accusation. There's obviously a point where you should act in response to a proven claim or even a highly credible claim, but i'm not sure if that point got crossed.

And if these guys have to go, then so do the people in charge at Minnesota. They allowed their serial rapist to continue playing until the last minute.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 04:55 PM)
Honestly it would be a lynching if Izzo was forced to resign. Maybe even D'Antoni, though I know less of the claims there. I get that there's a point where your program is filled with people accused of doing criminal things, and that becomes the responsibility of the coach bringing those players to the school, but (1) it's not their fault their player does something criminal, (2) it's not fair to bench a guy or suspend a guy just because of an accusation. There's obviously a point where you should act in response to a proven claim or even a highly credible claim, but i'm not sure if that point got crossed.

And if these guys have to go, then so do the people in charge at Minnesota. They allowed their serial rapist to continue playing until the last minute.

I mean, sure. They all need to go

I can’t see Izzo finishing out the year under this cloud. Road games are going to be hell, there will be constant scrutiny and more digging for cover ups. Walking out seems the better choice

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/...ter/1071276001/

Dantonio fighting for now...17 former players with various allegations/accusations

ESPN also detailed two incidents that allegedly involved former MSU point guard Travis Walton that were made during his time as a student assistant coach for Izzo during the 2009-10 season, in which the Spartans went to the Final Four. Walton reportedly punched a women in the face at a bar in one incident.

Walton, along with two members of the basketball team, also were alleged to have sexually assaulted a different woman off campus, according to ESPN. The network said no police charges were filed in that case, but reported the woman went to Hollis with the allegations that she was raped.

According to records obtained by the Free Press, Keith Appling and Adreian Payne were accused of sexually assaulting a woman during the fall of their freshman year in 2010. Dunnings declined to press charges in the matter, citing insufficient evidence.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/...spn/1070081001/

It's becoming clear: Michigan State prized image protection far more than the truth

https://sports.yahoo.com/becoming-clear-mic...-233843392.html

I don’t believe the OTL report is enough to force a dismissal of either man – but it’s fair to at least have conversations about whether they’re doing everything the way a deeply scarred university wants them to.

Every school engaged in the Faustian bargain of big-time athletics must weigh its tolerance for the unsavory against the regard for its own reputation. And when those two come in conflict, the only acceptable approach is to meet the situations honestly and forthrightly.

As two news reports Friday showed, Michigan State has failed the honest and forthright part. To disastrous effect.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Quin @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 10:55 AM)
Whatever punishment comes down is going to be baffling in size at this rate.

Baffling as in "Bafflingly weak"? Because like it was said a few posts ago, you've got enough of a pattern of behavior to warrant a death penalty for their athletic department here, and I don't think anyone expects that.

• 11 months later...

MSU President

"You’ve got people, they are hanging on and this has been … there are a lot of people who are touched by this, survivors who haven’t been in the spotlight," Engler said. "In some ways they have been able to deal with this better than the ones who’ve been in the spotlight who are still enjoying that moment at times, you know, the awards and recognition. And it’s ending. It’s almost done.”

"Enjoying that moment in the spotlight".